UKC

Help please with info on Everest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Co1in H 29 Feb 2016
In 1978 members of the French/German expedition made the summit of Everest. Included were Mazeaud and Diemberger. The only book I can find on this expedition is "Everest 78" by Mazeaud.
I have checked all Diembergers books including "Seiltanz" which covers the appropriate years but there is no mention of this expedition. My German is rubbish and I may have missed something.
Can anyone help me out with Diembergers story, it's bound to be different than anyone elses!
Does anyone know of any books that cover this expedition. There were random other nationalities in the team.
Any help welcomed.
Colin
 tony 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Co1in H:

Walt Unsworth's book 'Everest The climbing history' lists this as one of two separate post-monsoon expeditions which shared an LO and a permit, but which 'retained a certain amount of independence on the mountain'.

Mazeaud was the leader. Jean Afanassieff, N Jaeger, Mazeaud and Diemberger summitted on October 15 via the South Col route. At the time Mazeaud was the oldest person to summit (aged 49). Can't imagine why Diemberger wouldn't write about it somewhere.
OP Co1in H 29 Feb 2016
In reply to tony:
Thanks Tony.
I'll check to see if any of the other expedition members wrote books covering that time.
 tony 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Co1in H:

If it helps, the German expedition on Everest on the same permit was led by the shy and retiring Karl Maria Herligkoffer and included Wanda Rutkiewicz, making her the first European woman to summit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...