UKC

Trail running vests

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 29 Feb 2016
No, not the singlet types, but the rucksack-type ones with water bottles on the front straps. Opinions please. I'm interested, because on the Lairig Ghru race last year, I was running with a pack with a hydration bladder, and I got my drinking wrong - not enough, at the wrong times, and I ran out. I like the idea of bottles, because it's easier to see how much you've drunk, how much you've got left and they're easy to refill from burns. But, do they not feel a bit weird and bouncy on your chest? In addition to the bottles, I need something that will carry basic race gear.
 Roadrunner5 29 Feb 2016
In reply to tony:

They feel OK, Ultimate direction sponsor us so I use their vests. I quite like them. They do bounce about a bit so running fast can feel odd.. but for most of the ultra running I do the feel good.

I have the scott jurek one.

To be honest I prefer the handheld bottle with a small pouch in for gels. Nathan do a nice one.
 yorkshireman 29 Feb 2016
In reply to tony:

As I think Iain was alluding, its a personal choice and the only way to know is to try. I've used the Salomon S-Lab one for a few years and although not cheap it is phenomenally comfortable. Before that i had a cheapish Decathlon one but you can tell that Salomon have paid a lot of attention to detail in terms of fit that you just don't get with cheaper models.

However I got a bit fed up with the bladder - its hard to monitor how much I'm drinking and filling it up/adding electrolytes is a pain. My wife has a Salomon with the floppy bottles but I don't really like them either. I'm about to buy the Raidlight Olmo 12 which has the 'push to drink' chest mounted bottles which might do the job a bit better (its just a shame about the colour)
 richprideaux 29 Feb 2016
In reply to tony:

I'd love one, but until I find one to fit my chest/shoulder size I'm sticking with waist belts or hydration packs and all of their associated drawbacks...
 solostoke 29 Feb 2016
In reply to tony:

I use the raid light ultra olmo 5. I can just about fit in all the essentials and if I'm stretched then I will tie my waterproof coat around my waist to free up some room but 5litres is plenty plus all my gels and chocolate etc go in the stretchy parts on the shoulder straps. Absolutely love it for long days out training when I want to bimble and carry lots of food and a layer or two plus 1.5litres of fluid in the bottles. There's a nice separate pouch underneath that fits a first aid kit and waterproof trousers in plus the quiver that is removable to store poles in although I don't personally use it.
I think that's enough of a sales pitch though.
And I hate bladders, I just leave them to go manky at some point in their life and then they get thrown away.
The chest bottles are annoying when full and if you aren't a racing snake the straps can be tight.
 Tall Clare 29 Feb 2016
In reply to tony:

Mr TC has a Montane one (the 10l one with rigid bottles) and seems to like it. He's definitely of a 'racing snake' disposition but found the Inov8 one and Salomon one too narrow/tight across the chest. He reckons the rigid bottles are easier to fill on the go than the floppy Salomon style.
 steelbru 29 Feb 2016
In reply to tony:

I've got one of the original Salomon vests which just came with a bladder, but have now got one of their newer vests with the front soft flasks - the soft flasks are so much better :- you can tell how much you have left, can fill them up from burns, and when half full the water doesn't slosh around like it does when using the front rigid bottles.

I think UD, Inov-8 and various aothers, along with Salomon, are now selling "soft bottles/flasks" so plenty choice out there.

In the Salomon range there are various options depending how much additional carrying capacity you want from 1 litre to 12 litres
OP tony 01 Mar 2016
In reply to everyone:

Many thanks everyone - lots to think about. Unfortunately the running shops I can get to easily have a really poor selection available to try, so I'm flying a bit blind - I may have to plump for something online and see how it works out.
 Dark-Cloud 01 Mar 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

Second the Salomon s-lab ones, it's an awesome bit of kit, compared to a pack you don't even realise you are wearing it. The soft bottles are good too.
 thedatastream 01 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

My Haglofs Gram rucksack has loops for a shoulder bottle holster that takes a normal bike bottle nicely. Unfortunately they don't seem to do them any more, shame as they are really good packs!

I've always been impressed with the range of running packs at Castleberg Outdoors in Settle. Well worth a look - http://www.castlebergoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/Running_Packs.html

Ultralight Outdoor Gear also have a selection - http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/rucksacks-c19/superlite...

OP tony 01 Mar 2016
In reply to thedatastream:

Thanks for that - do you know if Castleberg carry all those bags in stock? I'll be passing near Settle soon.
 thedatastream 01 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

If you click on each individual product then it shows you which ones are in stock. If there's one you want to try then give them a ring. They've been very helpful with me in the past.

You also need to pay a visit here if you are in the area - http://www.thecourtyarddairy.co.uk/
OP tony 01 Mar 2016

Many thanks, I'll give them a shot.

I drive past the Courtyard Dairy every time I visit my parents but I've never stopped. I can see I'm going to have to factor i a bit more time next I go down to see them
 IainWhitehouse 01 Mar 2016

I believe Castleberg also have a UD test station so you can borrow a UD vest to try for a day or two if you leave a deposit (and possibly a small fee, I'm not sure the details).
 rockjedi12345 02 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

I have the grivel one. Ordered from berschlaund (can't remember how that's spelt). For only £50 very happy with it.
 Dark-Cloud 02 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

Castleberg have a good few bags in stock and above all are decent folks, I got my Salomon one there and they did the on-line price in the shop so happy with that.
 J Brown 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yes - I've got the Salomon S-Lab 12 and I've been really impressed so far. I've only used it up to 25 miles so far, but it feels comfortable and doesn't seem to bounce / move very much at all.
 alicia 02 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

I find them variable--I thought the Ultimate Direction ones were bouncy and annoying, but the Inov8 race elite ones fit really well and don't bounce. basically, if you try one and hate it, it may be worth trying a few more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...