UKC

Help! How easy is it to get into Belarus?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 29 Feb 2016
I'm thinking of traveling from Vilnius (Lithuania) into Belarus briefly and out again on the same day in April.

However the Belarus visa entry palaver, as well as the cost of around £75 even for a "transit" visa is putting me off. I've read that you can easily spend 5 hours at the border getting in - which would make it completely impractical.

Has anyone any experience, or tips on the road crossing which might make it feasible?
Do you definitely have to go to the Belarus embassy for the visa?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!
 Yanis Nayu 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Babika:

My friend from Minsk travelled by car to Vilnius and back to see a concert. I'm sure she said it was 7 hrs to cross the border to Lithuania and slightly longer in reverse.

I don't know about transit visas - I got a tourist visa when I went, through post with the embassy in London. Just make sure he cheque is uncrossed. I have a funny story about my entry and egress into / from Belarus.
 Yanis Nayu 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Babika:

Oh, my visa was about £45 last year.
OP Babika 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Thanks for that - it rather confirms my worst fears: regardless of the cost it's just a non-starter to try and "pop over" to Belarus for a day.

Goodness knows what they actually do at the border for 7 hours....
OP Babika 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Ps are we allowed to hear your funny story?
 Yanis Nayu 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

You could fly? I'll check with my friend to see if the 7 hours is typical. It might be worth asking on the Belarus forum on Trip Advisor.

You can hear my funny story; it's just that it's long-winded and would take ages to type)
 Wyddfa 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Sat on the border twice for about an hour each time. I was on a bus however - whether that actually made a difference or not...? - but our driver got somebody on to check passports an visas in no time, and we were through without any real delay. However, he did tip a few American dollars and a bag of kit-kats!
OP Babika 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Wyddfa:

That sounds a possibility - a brown envelope with some US dollars might ease things....
And maybe some Cadbury's Dairy Milk bars?

nutme 01 Mar 2016
You can find life data here:
http://www.pkpd.lt/lt/border

"Prognozuojamas laukimo laikas" column is the one you are interested. It shows expected wait time in hours. Medininku is generally very busy at any time. But it's most convenient way from Vilnius.

On border check your car and anything on you can be inspected by both Lithuanians and Belarusians. On entering Belarus you will have to fill declaration. It's just to state that you are bringing with you. Sometimes officers try hard to get a bride. My advice is to not to pay. Police in Belarus is corrupt and can try to scam. Lithuanian cops can to, but not that often.

If you want trouble free and convenient day trip get a train or a bus.
OP Babika 02 Mar 2016
In reply to nutme:

Thank you very much nutme!

UKC is a mine of helpful information!
Removed User 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> You can hear my funny story; it's just that it's long-winded and would take ages to type)

It's Wednesday now, are you still typing it?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...