UKC

Holidays/Annual leave.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arch 01 Mar 2016
How much do you get and when do they start ??

We get 30 days plus Bank Holidays.

Ours used to start April 1st, but since being taken over they now start on the first day of your birth month. December for me. Since the change, I'm finding it harder to organise them. Most people would save 5 days for after Christmas, just in case, but then everyone who hadn't used them would be off in March, hence the change. My first Holiday is now Christmas, and I'm then finding I'm left with a lot of days to take at the end of the year as I don't want to use them all up over the summer in case I need those 5 "just in case days" I can't seem to find the happy medium.

Indy 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

How large is the company?
 BnB 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

Talk about first world problems!! 30 days plus bank holidays is as good as you'll get anywhere outside teaching. It's nearly a day off every week!! Enjoy instead of fretting.
 Axel Smeets 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

25 plus stats but this year I'm taking 35 plus stats.
 Big Ger 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

As I work shifts I get 7 weeks, (35 days.) But I don't get bank holidays as we're 365 day service.

If I do not use leave I can carry it over to the next year. Last year I had a 8 week break.

We also get accumulating "personal leave", for sickness, bereavement, caring for family etc.

As I've been fortunate to use very little of this, I currently have 23 weeks of it banked.
OP arch 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Indy:

6000 employees.
 The New NickB 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

Number of holidays depends on your grade and length of service here. It ranges from 23-28, plus bank holidays, plus 5 days for 5 years service. We are also being force to take between 2 and 5 days additional leave unpaid, with higher grades taking more.

As a consequence, I have 28+5+5+8=46 including bank holidays, although only 41 paid. It's more than I need and because the workload doesn't decrease, I end up working quite a few of those days.

I don't really understand why more senior staff, like me, should get more holidays, although I do understand the reasons behind us taking more unpaid leave. Not really a fair system. April to March, with some flexibility around carrying holidays forward.

The New NickB 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> We also get accumulating "personal leave", for sickness, bereavement, caring for family etc.

> As I've been fortunate to use very little of this, I currently have 23 weeks of it banked.

Seems a slightly odd concept to me, what is your annual allowance?
 Big Ger 01 Mar 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

We get 100 hours added pa.
 Andy Hardy 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

I'm self employed so I can have as much time off as I like.

But I dont get paid for any of it
 climber34neil 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

8 weeks and 2 days but not bank holidays, goes April to March but I can also arrange shifts to enable me to have a week off at a time without using annual leave , again though some of that is due in part to length of service
 NottsRich 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

28 days, INCLUDING stats/Xmas/NY etc. Think yourself lucky!
 snoop6060 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

32.5 + bank holidays + 5 days extra unpaid (sold as a benefit).

April 1st, very large company.
OP arch 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

This isn't a " I've got more holiday than you" thread, more about anyone who has had to change their holiday start month and if it's affected them. But thanks for the replys.
 climbwhenready 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

27 days plus bank holidays plus the time between christmas and new year. Academia's pretty generous.
 Babika 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

I worked for an organisation that moved from 1st April to birthdays - and it was safe to say that virtually nobody was happy with the change - not employees not managers.

A bit like the poll tax, one of those things that seems a great idea on paper but ignores the personal implications.

Gone for good 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

When I worked in Australia we were given 17 days a years sick leave on top of annual and statutory holidays.
If you didn't take the sickie then you got paid the days in cash at the end of the year. If my memory serves me correctly the railway workers got 35 days sick leave a year and I think most of them took the days. Sickies were very much an accepted part of the work culture back then - 1987.
 Fraser 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

We get between 23 and 26 days a year, depending on length of service, plus 8 no. public holidays. There are a further 4 'shut down' days between Christmas & NY, where the office closes and we have to take them off. On top of that, we can 'buy' up to an additional 5 days per year, something I've done since the option was introduced.

Our holiday year used to run from July to June but a few years ago they changed it to coincide with the calendar year. At the time of the switch, there was a feeling of discontent, as we effectively lost one day when we could decide when we took it off. Consequently, the directors gave us an additional day that year.
OP arch 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:
> I worked for an organisation that moved from 1st April to birthdays - and it was safe to say that virtually nobody was happy with the change - not employees not managers.

That's the thing. We've had 2 years of it now and I'm still finding it awkward to adapt. Before that, you just kept a few days for after Christmas knowing that your holidays started again in April.

We could also carry a week over before, we can't now.
Post edited at 15:20
 Ramblin dave 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:
We used to reset at the end of December, but now the end of March. I think end of December is better - you can always use up the odd extra day around Christmas, but now I want to have a few days saved after Christmas for Scottish winter long weekends which may or may not happen, and if they don't happen then there's less value in just taking off the odd afternoon to sit in a beer garden or something than there would be in summer. Start of December sounds less good though.

What even is the rationale behind the birthday thing? It sounds like a nightmare to administer with no real advantage to the company but considerable irritation to people who feel like they've got a less convenient time of year. (I'm in August, though, so I'd be quids in...)
Post edited at 15:27
OP arch 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> What even is the rationale behind the birthday thing? It sounds like a nightmare to administer with no real advantage to the company but considerable irritation to people who feel like they've got a less convenient time of year. (I'm in August, though, so I'd be quids in...)

We're never told why, about anything. I think its so all those people who kept some days back for after Christmas aren't all taking them at the end of March, meaning we could be short staffed.

LastBoyScout 01 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

25 days + 8 bank holidays, starting 1st January.

This year, I also get 3 weeks paternity leave, starting any time in the next 3 weeks - eek!
 timjones 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> What even is the rationale behind the birthday thing? It sounds like a nightmare to administer with no real advantage to the company but considerable irritation to people who feel like they've got a less convenient time of year. (I'm in August, though, so I'd be quids in...)

Having been involved in arranging relief cover for a small company the answer is fairly obvious. It's an absolute nightmare when everyone tries to use up unclaimed holiday allowance at the same time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...