UKC

Grivel G22 or BD Cyborg Pro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 01 Mar 2016
What do you prefer and why. I have had the BD Cyborg Pro in the past and wanted to get another pair but can't track them down anywhere fast. So my hubby suggested the Grivel G22 instead. I want them for ice. Anyone got any thoughts?
Cheers
 HeMa 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

I assume you really wan't dual points?

Still, needs to be asked, how much walkin' with the crampons is expected (descents)?

Cyborg is going to be better for walkin' on snow (antiball plates) and also you can replace the front teeth.

G22 doesn't have antiballin' plates nor can you replace the teeth. But IMHO if the G22 fits and is suitable, it's a better crampon. Rambo 4 might also be an option I'd consider for ice climbing... if you limit the choices to Grivel and BD.
 alexm198 01 Mar 2016
In reply to HeMa:

G22 does actually have both front and back antibots.

The main ball ache is that the points aren't replaceable. However if you're after a dedicated water ice crampon then this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I have G20s that I use for mixed and I really like how light and low profile they are. Ultimately it will come down to fit though.
OP Heike 01 Mar 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Well, your normal kind of walking down from a Scottish route, I like to get the crampons off as soon as possible. I thought about the front teeth thing first, but frankly I have never ever replaced a front teeth. I usually just downgrade them to mixed crampons and get new ones for ice!
 vscott 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:
G20s great ... so imagine G22s similar - only odd thing occasionally is the points on the linking bar - if you're not used to having points there they occasionally catch/bite a bit unexpectedly walking or on mixed. On ice they're a bonus - added bite on featured stuff, bulges etc... final downside (only if you've big feet) is they don't collapse for packing.

Other option is dartwin - think the front section can be bought as a replacement when worn.
Post edited at 14:21
 dek 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

Recently read a user comparison/review of the two crampons you mentioned.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/vertical-front-point-crampons.htm...
 HeMa 01 Mar 2016
In reply to vscott:

> Other option is dartwin - think the front section can be bought as a replacement when worn.

Yes, though no antibot (except DIY).

I would however bring another contender to the discussion.... AustriaAlpine Skysteep. Have used it on ice (and continental & scottish type) mixed for 2 seasons now, and they rock. Better than G14, Dart, Cyborg, Stinger and Lynx. With fit quite small boots and also bigger ones, and cheap.
OP Heike 01 Mar 2016
In reply to dek:

Thanks everyone, good tips. I think, I probably can't go wrong with either of them...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...