UKC

After wet weather going to Harpur Hill (this Saturday)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 02 Mar 2016
Am I being too hopeful to think that I could go climbing at Harpur Hill this Saturday if it's not raining Saturday but has been raining and/or snowing all week prior to that? I've not got a huge amount of experience in this area.
Harpur Hill Quarry

thanks
 Chris the Tall 02 Mar 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

Very optimistic I'd say - most of the crag (including the best stuff) is north facing and exposed. You might find some shelter in the sanctuary, but I'd imagine that seepage would be a problem.

It's possible I could be completely wrong - I haven't been there at this time of year, I wouldn't even consider it (but I am a bit of a wimp re cold weather climbing)
OP elliot.baker 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

ah ok thanks. I'm not worried about being cold but if it's all wet and impossible then I wouldn't bother going!
 Gary Gibson 02 Mar 2016
In reply to elliot.baker: a better bet is Long Wall overlooking the ponds. Will probably be dry and certainly sheltered. I regeared it all last winter. Sanctuary had no seepage last Sunday.

Mick Ward 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Very optimistic I'd say - most of the crag (including the best stuff) is north facing and exposed.

And (if I remember correctly) pretty high up for the Peak.

[To the OP]

It's a great place in a heatwave!

Mick

OP elliot.baker 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Gary Gibson:

You mean this place Gary?

http://www.sportsclimbs.co.uk/mainpages/peak/Harpur%20Hill%20Long%20Wall.ht...

That's exactly where I was planning on going, thanks, those climbs are right within the grade I'd like to climb at outdoors. The weather report for Saturday appears to change every 20 minutes so I'm just going to have to gauge it on Saturday morning I think.
 Gary Gibson 03 Mar 2016
In reply to elliot.baker: that's the one.

Mick Ward 03 Mar 2016
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Hi Gary, apologies, have no memory of Long Wall (maybe after my time in the Peak?) But with 'probably be dry and certainly sheltered', you're selling it to me! It looks a good place for mileage.

Keep on doing what you do so well.

All best wishes,

Mick
 Gary Gibson 03 Mar 2016
In reply to Mick Ward: hi Mick, it's a lovely little wall, probably done since you were last there.

EarlyBird 03 Mar 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

Tell you what, I'll take the dog for a walk up there tomorrow morning and let you know how it's looking.
OP elliot.baker 04 Mar 2016
In reply to EarlyBird:

Sounds good thanks! I just looked at the Harpur Hill webcam on the Buxton Weather website and it looks wet and slushy... with the weather report as it is I can't see it being all dry and crisp and lovely by tomorrow morning but if anyone has any more detailed info I'm all ears!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...