UKC

Flexible working requests

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 03 Mar 2016
I’m putting in a request for flexible working, 4 days instead of 5 when my partner finishes maternity leave. I’ve worked through the form but I’ve come a bit stumped on the following:

These impacts will benefit the business or can be dealt with as follows…
The change will impact the company as follows…

I’m struggling to think what the company wants to hear. Any ideas?
 Andy Hardy 03 Mar 2016
In reply to goldmember:

How about

"there will be no impact on the business, all the stuff will get done on time."

And

" The company will benefit from having a productive team member working 100% instead of a team member spending 50% of his time at work on jobsite"

jayme 03 Mar 2016
In reply to goldmember:
The best way to go about this is think about ways the comapany will have to adapt to your change.
Are you working more hours on the 4 days to maintain a full time position? If this is the case will you be a lone worker in the building?
Would extended working hours impact on the time that a cleaner was in and therefore would be unable to go about their tasks?
If you are asking for a reduction to a 4 day week who will pick up the other day of work? will a new part time member of staff be required.

These are the type of things to think about and then how you mitigate for any thing that you did highlight.

Jayme
Post edited at 11:47
 Billhook 03 Mar 2016
In reply to goldmember:

What the directive and the subsequent UK legislation allows you to do is to allow you, to clearly state how you think what you propose will effect the company and allow you to suggest mitigating suggestions of your own.

If you were allowed only to put your request in without having your say in how possible negative impacts will occur, the company could deny the request with several arguments of their own why they cannot be met.

This current system gives the claiment, you, who also has the biggest motivation for the request to be granted to come up with the best solution to any possible difficulties etc., that the company may face if someone wants to take time off.

So, if you have 4 days of work instead of 5, who is going to do the extra work? Are they likely to take on an extra part-time worker to cover the missing day? You will know whether this could benefit the company, perhaps because they sometimes face extra demands and someone whose working the one day extra a week may be willing to increase their hours, or whether taking on an extra body will simply be an additional administrative headache.

One of the benefits to the company of you only working 4 days would of course be a 20% saving on your salary.

So plenty of opportunity to put yourself in the position of your boss and tell him how this issue could be solved!!

stubbed 03 Mar 2016
In reply to goldmember:

When I completed the form I suggested the benefit to the company was that they would save 20% of my salary.
In addition, you could point out that it is a chance for another colleague to have some new tasks / development opportunity from your side, and for workload to be distributed.
I would also state something about the benefits (and link to your company's policy on diversity / inclusion) of having a varied workforce, including parents of young children, etc., & contented employees with a good work & life balance.

In my experience, your employer will decide whether they are ok with it or not based on you talking to your manager rather than what it says on the form.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...