UKC

Dashcams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 04 Mar 2016
Following a 300 miles road journey(M25, M40, M6, M56) I'm wondering whether to get a dash cam. At least three times I was "carved up" by other vehicles including HGVs. Does anyone else use them? Any advice
Thanks.
 aln 04 Mar 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

I have one through work. A few weeks back I was cut up at a junction, when I tooted he stopped and I went into the back of him, with minor contact causing some damage to paintwork. He's claiming I was to blame but after reviewing the footage my firm are backing me and contesting the insurance claim.
OP mypyrex 04 Mar 2016
In reply to aln:
What make is it?
Post edited at 10:11
 Cú Chullain 04 Mar 2016
In reply to aln:

> I have one through work. A few weeks back I was cut up at a junction, when I tooted he stopped and I went into the back of him, with minor contact causing some damage to paintwork. He's claiming I was to blame but after reviewing the footage my firm are backing me and contesting the insurance claim.

I have noticed this phenomenon quite a bit recently, I had some dickhead sitting about 3 inches off my rear bumper on the motorway while gesturing through the window for me to go faster, odd really as I was in the slow lane and he had the choice of two other lanes in which to overtake me, exasperated I gave him "the finger" which triggered an apocalyptic rage in the man whereby he did overtake me only to pull over in front of me and slam on the brakes, all quite scary but my car was a slightly better specced out vehicle then his work van so easily avoided a collision. Decided to get a dash cam after that!
cp123 04 Mar 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

I have one, search for G1W dash cam, they are pretty cheap (£40) and the video quality is good.

The only thing is mine died in the cold over winter, its a lot of stress on the camera's battery, you can get them with capacitors instead that don't have this problem - search G1W capacitor.
 climbwhenready 04 Mar 2016
In reply to mypyrex:
I've got one, it's a cheap (about £40) nextbase model. I got it after someone drove into the back of me while I was stationary. Apart from the evidence of being able to win claims, it gets me an immediate 15% my premium (with Swiftcover).

My reasoning was that you don't need a high quality camera for it to be effective - in any real situation you'll know who the other party is, a hit-and-run while moving is pretty rare. But it does show what the other car was doing (or what you were doing if you are hit from behind) in broad detail.

edit: that's not to say the video quality is bad, but you can get some cinema quality ones if you pay a few hundred pounds, which I considered too much money
Post edited at 10:54
 cuppatea 04 Mar 2016
In reply to climbwhenready:

HD cams are available for around 20 quid,

http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15002&...

Not used one, but for the money I keep thinking about giving one a go.
 mikeski 04 Mar 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M&

I've got a couple of these. Great little cams. This guy does great reviews.
 Dax H 04 Mar 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

Just be aware that as well as proving your innocence in an accident the police will sieze it and look back over previous footage.
A guy just went to jail when they found 80 clips of him riding like a dick on his motorbike.
 Bob Hughes 04 Mar 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

i got one but found the footage was quite boring so i stuck it on the end of a selfie stick which allows me to record my impersonations of different breeds of dog sticking their heads out of the car window to while away a long motorway journeys.

My Alsation is uncanny but the Great Dane needs work.
Jim C 04 Mar 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

I picked up one for 15 quid in BM stores, pretty entry level, but I was just dipping my toe, and I will probably go for a higher spec if I find it useful. (I got the last one in our local store and the lad told me they sold out quick, and they will get more in at different price points in future)

Catching incidents apart , it is unexpectedly Interesting to the see details you miss, and then see , when reviewing your video of just your journey to work.
There is lots going on around you that you don't notice when driving that the film picks up.
 pec 04 Mar 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

Shouldn't you really have 2 dashcams, one facing forwards and one behind?
 aln 04 Mar 2016
In reply to mypyrex:

I don't know. I can find out tomorrow if you want.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...