UKC

What used mirrorless camera?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 04 Mar 2016
Hey

Every time I read a thread on "I want a better camera to take with me places", the answer people give, usually is, "don't bother getting a DSLR unless it's going to become a serious hobby, buy a mirrorless".

It's not going to become a hobby, but because my new android phone's camera is "not awful", and my old Sony DSC W300's battery is garbage I never end up taking that anywhere, meaning the only photos I ever get nowadays are pretty screen-shot-happy.

I never buy anything new - so what almost-new cameras should I look out for on eBay?

It has to be small/light enough that i'd be happy putting it in a daysack whilst climbing, reasonably robust (I drop things a lot), and with a decent battery life.
 icnoble 04 Mar 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

You realise you will have to buy a lens or lenses for a mirrorless camera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrorless_interchangeable-lens_camera#Mirror...
 Martin Hore 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Glyno:

>You realise you will have to buy a lens or lenses for a mirrorless camera.

> not necessarily.

Well, it's likely a second hand CSC will come with at least one lens - possibly a whole set. If you are realistically seldom going to change the lens you might be better off with a larger sensor compact like the Sony RX100 series. I'm quite pleased with my Mk1 which you could probably pick up pretty cheap now second hand. Smaller and lighter than any CSC.

Martin
 Stu Tyrrell 04 Mar 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I love my Sony A6000, now the A6300 is out you might get one at a good price.
 ashaughnessy 04 Mar 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I'd recommend handling one for real (i.e. in a shop) before buying, to check it passes the pocket test. For the use you describe you'll find it very beneficial if it slips easily into a jacket pocket without snagging. Some mirrorless cameras are sleeker than others. My Olympus OMD-EM10 is great and fits into my jacket pocket but does have plenty of sticky-out bits that make it harder to pocket and unpocket in a hurry or one-handed.
Anthony
 Dark-Cloud 04 Mar 2016
In reply to ashaughnessy:

I have an OMD E-M10 too, personally I would look for a second hand Panasonic GX7, wish I had bought one instead of the OMD......
 joe.91 04 Mar 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I love my Fuji X-T10, small enough I can carry it on my back while leading and its always out with me during winter. Use a tiny 18mm lens in winter and the 18-55mm in summer, will be investing in a 10-24mm wide angle for my yosemite trip
OP neuromancer 04 Mar 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I could be happy with a larger sensor compact?

It just has to offer me a real reason go bring it over a very good mobile phone. The photos, if I'm being honest, are for memories, and to be printed out probably up to a4 size. I always managed to take good photos with my old w300, but not better enough over my phone to warrant the additional hassle of bringing camera, batteries, charger, lead, spare SD cards etc).
 HeMa 04 Mar 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

Panasonic GM1 or GM5 might be a good bet IQ vise (after the GM7 comes out, this spring). If you want to get a changeable lens, a'la DSLRs... the Micro4/3s pancakes are rather small (~20mm lenses, so effective FOV is that of ~40mm on 35mm size).

Also Panasonic LX100 or Sony RX100 are also options. These are the big cell "compact" cameras with collapsing zoom lenses...

I'm waiting on the GM7 as we already have a few other Micro4/3 cameras in the house hold...
OP neuromancer 06 Mar 2016
In reply to obi-wan nick b:
Tried three separate replacement batteries. Only two worked. One I'd charge, leave the camera in my bag for two days, get it out for the first time and the battery would be close to empty. The other one had about enough juice for 100 shots before it died (no flash). Every single replacement battery promised to be "Official Original Sony" e.t.c.

Because of the battery problem, I'd have to take the external charger with me everywhere I went which was enormous and cumbersome (larger than the camera itself not including the plug) - so if flying with minimal luggage it was a nouse.

The other point was that, looking back, I don't think the photos I took with the W300 were THAT much better than the photos I took with my new Xiaomi android phone, but maybe that's just because I've only really looked at them properly on a laptop screen whose resolution is 1370e.t.c.

Post edited at 10:06
 ashaughnessy 08 Mar 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Richlan - what was wrong with the OMD?
Anthony
 Dark-Cloud 08 Mar 2016
In reply to ashaughnessy:

It packed up on me after 3 months (and has since developed a problem that came and went) I had a nightmare with warranty which took weeks to sort, more of a dealer issue than Olympus to be fair.

Before I bought I read the menu system was odd and assumed I would get used to it but haven't really, don't get me wrong, really nice images, all the buttons are laid out well and I like the viewfinder in the middle as opposed to the rangefinder style but if I was spending my money again it would be a Panasonic......
 nutme 08 Mar 2016
I would vote for Panasonic's as well. GM1 / GM5 or bigger GX1. Especially later can be found on ebay for about a hundred. Sensors are very similar and didn't changed that much in last years.

Check out shot here for example:
https://www.flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/dmc-gx1/
In reply to neuromancer:

I have been a DSLR user for over 10 years and still reach for my Canon 7D when I have an important shoot but I have just bought myself a second hand Panasonic G6 and a 14-42 lens for £240. Its a great little camera which I use mountainbiking and IQ is excellent but speed and ease of operation is no where near my 7D and its not weather sealed. My 7D is but it weighs as much as a house.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...