UKC

My upload speed seems to be extra slow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 05 Mar 2016
I have problems with writing emails currently on yahoo. So today I ran the Ookla speed test which showed:-
Ping 15Ms
Download 28.4Mbps
Upload 1.73 Mbps
I use a PC and a Mac and both seem to be slow at times.
Is that upload speed slow? Is that my problem?

The other possibility with the PC which is the worse of the two, is that it is the new Kaspersky anti-virus software which is getting in the way.(I previously had Avira)
The Pc is old(about 8yrs)Samsung Q320, running Windows 7, with 4Gb of RAM and about 78Gb of free hard disc space left out of about 450.
I am considering buying a new PC, (which I have mentioned on another thread a little while ago) and I know that that would help,but it won't be helped if there is an optical fibre problem. My router is a Draytek which is about 3-4years old.
 chris_s 05 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

Most ISPs will maximise your download speed at the expense of upload as that is what most customers want (streaming video, downloading big software updates, etc), but it's a huge pain for anyone who, like me, works from home a lot and needs to send large files. Count yourself lucky getting 1.73Mbps, though - I have to manage with a fraction of that :/
OP veteye 05 Mar 2016
In reply to chris_s:

Maybe my problem lies elsewhere.
I type and there is a lag, and sometimes some of the letters go missing, so you type more and then you find that there is a repetition. Possibly it could be Yahoo's software, or is it internet explorer.(yet I get less problem on this web site)
 chris_s 05 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound like an upload problem and 1.73 isn't bad anyway. Could be a router issue I guess.
OP veteye 05 Mar 2016
In reply to chris_s:

I've seen that Virgin Media do a package with 50Mbps download speed, but I don't know if that is just with cable or with regular optical fibre.(Is it available to everybody?) Also if you upgrade the download speed does the upload improve in line with that??
XXXX 05 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

A fibre connection will increase upload speeds (get about 10Mbps) but that's not your problem.

OP veteye 05 Mar 2016
In reply to XXXX:

I already have optical fibre, so not anywhere near the 10Mbps upload speed, so I have been short changed.
 chris_s 05 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:
You're talking to someone who gets 5MBps down and less than 512k up. As there is no prospect of fibre arriving in my village anytime soon, I don't know much about the deals or speeds you can expect, sorry!
Post edited at 10:54
XXXX 05 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

Hmm, well as other people have said what you have is plenty. Probs an issue at their website, or your computer.

28Mbps is short change for fibre too, I get 40.

Dauphin 05 Mar 2016
In reply to chris_s

> Most ISPs will maximise your download speed at the expense of upload as that is what most customers want (streaming video, downloading big software updates, etc), but it's a huge pain for anyone who, like me, works from home a lot and needs to send large files. Count yourself lucky getting 1.73Mbps, though - I have to manage with a fraction of that :/

This. Check with yr provider. Unless you want to pay through the nose for it, upload speeds are a fraction of download.

D

Ridge 05 Mar 2016
In reply to chris_s:

> You're talking to someone who gets 5MBps down and less than 512k up. As there is no prospect of fibre arriving in my village anytime soon, I don't know much about the deals or speeds you can expect, sorry!

5MBps download? Luxury! Currently running at a speedy 3.2, usually falling to around 1 when the other dozen houses in the village get on line.
 Jack Frost 05 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

Write your email locally in Notepad (or a locally installed word processing app of your choice), then cut and paste it into the Yahoo mail compose window.

In reply to veteye:

Typing lag is very unlikely to be anything to do with up and downlink speeds; you'll never type fast enough...

It's far more likely to be due to processing or memory issues at your end, causing your computer to be sluggish. As you suspect, it's likely to be that AV s/w; it generally acts like a bloody virus...
OP veteye 05 Mar 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Problem is that I don't know how to curb it.
It tried to install an extra layer of software for online banking which did not seem to be any appreciable amount safer.
Yet it was recommended by PC Pro magazine.
In reply to Ridge:

> 5MBps download? Luxury! Currently running at a speedy 3.2, usually falling to around 1 when the other dozen houses in the village get on line.

Lucky if I get 1mb download and the village is still on dial-up speeds! Count yourself lucky.
 arch 05 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

Anyone get better speeds if they use their phones hotspot ??

Just to be smug...............60mbps on Virgin cable and we're only on the cheapest BB package.
In reply to arch:

> Anyone get better speeds if they use their phones hotspot ??

I probably would but the mobile companies seem to have forgotten us.
 Dauphin 05 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

Windows security essentials which I believe is now part of win 8 and 10, a well set up firewall on the router plus something along the lines of malwarebytes is all anyone needs. Ive not had a virus for as long as I can remember, but I only use ebanking via 2 factor on the phone. If you must use proprietary av software make sure windows stuff is switched off, if you have them both running the machine will grind away.

D
 ben b 05 Mar 2016
In reply to arch:

Smug? Ha ha. It's sunday lunchtime here in Dunedin - I'm listening to iPlayer and painting the sash windows in the sun. I have just run Ookla but the connection is a bit slower over wifi and there's quite a lot of traffic on the wifi network.
98.60Mbps down and 37.99Mbps up.

On a good day I can get 200Mbps down and about 150 up, thanks to gigabit fibre in Dunedin for the last year

Now that's smug!

b
Removed User 06 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

20 posts in and of course no one has asked the OP what his internet package is.. and nor has the OP offered that info.

Ditch Kaspersky ASAP, download malwarebytes and you'll be fine with that.
OP veteye 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed User:

I currently use Eclipse,but am long beyond the need to stay with them. Download speeds are supposed to be in the 30's,but does anyone ever mention upload speeds when they are advertising? I am too far away from the nearest exchange to get figures in the Dunedin-type 200 and 150 sort of ideal.

I have only just got kaspersky as it came top in picking up viruses in PC Pro magazine. Does it have a reputation for being unduly a brake on activity?
Removed User 06 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

It has a reputation for being a resource hog the same as most antiviruses. There's few exceptions. More importantly you simply don't need an antivi scanner in this day and age. You want to protect against malware using a malware scanner. Malwarebytes is free and doesn't need to sit in the background running (you can schedule it to just run once a week for example) so doesn't use any resources. If I were you I'd make sure I was using a properly hardened browser, namely chrome or firefox, using the uBlock Origin addon to prevent a huge amount of browser based attacks. That's where most malware comes from.
 Martin W 07 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

> It tried to install an extra layer of software for online banking which did not seem to be any appreciable amount safer.

Not Trusteer Rapport, by any chance? I installed that when it was first offered by my bank a few years back. It turned out to be a horrific drag on system performance so I ditched it. I've seen numerous reports since of other people having the same experience. I would get rid if that's what you've got. It's not even clear to me what it achieves, so long as you are rigorous about malware hygiene on your machine anyway. I've certainly not had any issues with online banking fraud since I got rid.

I'd also ditch the Kaspersky AV and stick to Microsoft Security Essentials. AFAIAA MSE is as good as any of the other offerings out there, and it's free. Certainly if you already have MSE (and it's active) then adding another AV will only create trouble.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...