UKC

Laura Trott

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 05 Mar 2016
Currently our greatest athlete? Actually all our women seem better than the men at the moment, Football, Cricket etc, maybe the men overall can hold their own in cycling but I think womens Athletics may well get a boost with the new tighter drugs regime.
 Oceanrower 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:
I would take issue that the women are better than the men. The women are better than other nation's women.

Have you seen much women's rugby, cricket etc.?

It is, with some notable exceptions, dire!
Post edited at 14:32
 Mike Highbury 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans: > Currently our greatest athlete?

And not Lizzie Armitstead?

Yanis Nayu 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

Better than Mo Farah? Jess Ennis? Lizzie Armistead? Greg Rutherford? Andy Fordham?
 ianstevens 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Better than ... Andy Fordham?

I thought this was a thread about athletes, not overweight men playing pub games.
OP Al Evans 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

> I would take issue that the women are better than the men. The women are better than other nation's women.

> Have you seen much women's rugby, cricket etc.?

> It is, with some notable exceptions, dire!

I completely disagree, in Cricket, Rugby and Football I think our womens game is far more passionate and exciting than the mens game.
OP Al Evans 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I think the Mens athletics can hold its own in interest, mainly because of Mo and Greg, plus there is some hope in some of the younger sprinters, but really only Mo is world class. Jess has been a world star for some years but she has to fade as she gets older soon.
 Phil1919 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

I think you'd have to say Greg Rutherford is world class. Isn't he Olympic and world champion? What else does he need to do to convince you?
 Andy Farnell 05 Mar 2016
OlIn reply to Phil1919:

> I think you'd have to say Greg Rutherford is world class. Isn't he Olympic and world champion? What else does he need to do to convince you?

Isn't he Olympic, World, Commonwealth and European champ. At the same time. I'd say that makes him world class.

Andy F
 Chris Harris 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

> Jess has been a world star for some years but she has to fade as she gets older soon.

Soon? Has she managed to stop time?

Phil1919 05 Mar 2016
In reply to andy farnell:
I suppose people would say the commonwealth and European titles don't really signify world class! But having all 4 at the same time is some going.
Post edited at 18:26
 Brass Nipples 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:
Alistair Brownlee current Olympic, Commonweath and European mens triathlon champion?
Post edited at 18:29
 The New NickB 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:
Are you really saying Ennis-Hill isn't world class. She is Olympic and double World Champion, it would be triple but for a drugs cheat. She is also third (I think) on the all time list for Heptathlon.

Post edited at 18:33
Bogwalloper 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

> I completely disagree, in Cricket, Rugby and Football I think our womens game is far more passionate and exciting than the mens game.

I go can go down to the reck tomorrow morning and see a better game with more power, skill and speed than than the women's FA cup final.
Women's football is dire.

Wally
 Brass Nipples 05 Mar 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Are you really saying Ennis-Hill isn't world class. She is Olympic and double World Champion, it would be triple but for a drugs cheat. She is also third (I think) on the all time list for Heptathlon.

Not only that she's the current world champion having won it last August. Hardly past it!
OP Al Evans 05 Mar 2016

> Are you really saying Ennis-Hill isn't world class. She is Olympic and double World Champion, it would be triple but for a drugs cheat. She is also third (I think) on the all time list for Heptathlon.

No Jess is still the best, and Armistead just gets better, but hardly anyone in the UK know the name of Laura Trott. Complete rubbish about womens team sports, the footy team is way better than the mens in comparision to international competition. There was a time when Robinson was in goal when the womens goalie should have made the mens team.
 Mark Harding 05 Mar 2016
In reply to andy farnell:

I'd say that Greg is world class for all those reasons but he always seems to struggle to get the recognition he rightly deserves. I guess it's largely to do with the distances he jumps to win these events. He's a great competitor and does what is necessary to take the gold at a big competition ... but sometimes, by world class standards, that's not massive ... the 8.41 to win the worlds was pretty good but wasn't Carl Lewis regularly jumping 8.70 back in the 80's?
Actually, the same could be said about Mo.
 Yanis Nayu 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

I've always thought the goalies were the weakest women players in comparison to the men.
 malk 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

excellent drugs..
 Mr Lopez 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Better than Mo Farah? Jess Ennis? Lizzie Armistead? Greg Rutherford? Andy Fordham?

I was bored and so checked the facts, and the verdict is that; A) it seems she is much more succesful than all of those by a big margin with a significantly bigger medal count, most notably Golds, and B) Other than Mo Farah (who is still woefully short on medal count but still holds up) everyone else in the list seems to be overhyped celebrity stuff.
Post edited at 20:43
 Chris the Tall 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

> No Jess is still the best, and Armistead just gets better, but hardly anyone in the UK know the name of Laura Trott.

I presume you're still living in Spain, Al, but I'd say that Laura trott is probably one of the best known sports women in the country, just as well known as Armitstead. The problem is that the vast majority of media attention is on men's sports, particularly football, and particularly the premier league. And I have to say Lizzie is the more impressive at the moment, simply because she is in the more competitive arena. She's just won 4 races in a row, including the world champs, winning the World Cup, and now the first race of the world tour. Will she be on the front pages tomorrow? Of course not.
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Media coverage: R4 sport piece at 8:30 this morning wittered on for ages about ONE football game. Not a single mention of the ongoing cycle championships at the Olympic velodrome...
 andy 05 Mar 2016
In reply to captain paranoia: Clare Balding's getting right into it on the red button now, mind.

FactorXXX 05 Mar 2016
In reply to andy:

Clare Balding's getting right into it on the red button now

Fnarrr...
 mark s 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

ive tried to watch womens cricket,football and darts at international level,its not even the standard of weekend mens sports. unwatchable
In reply to andy:

I will admit that it's most interesting premiership race for many years, thanks to Leicester, but the track worlds have been brilliant all week - excellent finale to the omnium, Dibben in points, trott in the scratch......
 andy 05 Mar 2016
I've got in on mute cos my wife's listening to music - but is Kenny in the sprint live now? If so - gripping. If not - no spoilers please!
In reply to mark s:

As a tranmere rovers fan, I think the standard of the women's football team is impressive!
In reply to andy:

Yep, it's live. I put it on mute last night when on the phone to my mum. It was a long call - not that I said much (Irish mother!) and when I looked up it had morphed into dwarf football - very Alan Partridge
 malk 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

excellent training..
 andy 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall: well here we jolly well go then...

In reply to andy:

<spoiler alert>

whoop !
 andy 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall: and just seen an Ilkley CC jersey in the crowd. Awesome!

In reply to andy:

Have you heard ? Looks like 2019 road worlds coming to Yorkshire- I.e Leeds
 andy 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall: really? Fab. That'll be Lord Verity then!

andy 05 Mar 2016
American lady seems to be inordinately chuffed to have won one race out of six in the Omnium. Suspect Trotty may bite back...
In reply to andy:

It's just been pointed out that the Kenny-Trott house could end up top of the medal table!
 andy 05 Mar 2016
Brilliant little moment when Kenny walked past Trott warming up - obviously wanted to go over and celebrate but he just gave her a little nod and walked past.

Their kids'll be a bit good on a bike, eh?
 Dave the Rave 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

Boyukasha is better than Trott. Is it because that she is black that she is not better known than Trott?
In reply to Al Evans:

Laura is hardly an unknown, double Olympic Champion, 6 times World Champion, she even appeared on an episode of Guy Martin's Speed.
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> I was bored and so checked the facts, and the verdict is that; A) it seems she is much more succesful than all of those by a big margin with a significantly bigger medal count, most notably Golds, and B) Other than Mo Farah (who is still woefully short on medal count but still holds up) everyone else in the list seems to be overhyped celebrity stuff.

Can you name another British athlete (athletics) with 7 global titles, only a complete idiot would consider Farah's medal count "woefully short".

Mr Lopez 06 Mar 2016

When compared with Trott's medal count in response to a sugestion that Farah was "greater"... Only an ignorant illiterate moron would fail to notice the relevance of the context that was quoted 3 centimetres higher up
 andy 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave: who's she? Even a Google doesn't bring anything up?

felt 06 Mar 2016
In reply to andy:

She's from the West Staines Athletics Club.
 The New NickB 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> When compared with Trott's medal count in response to a sugestion that Farah was "greater"... Only an ignorant illiterate moron would fail to notice the relevance of the context that was quoted 3 centimetres higher up

Anyone who knew anything about either sport would recognise that athletics is a far more global sport with far greater participation than track cycling and also that track cycling world championships happen twice as often. Farah has won every global title available in his two events for the last 4 and a half years, Trott hasn't.

Trott is a great athlete and at only 23, hopefully we will see an awful lot more from her, but you cannot compare the world championship medal count in the two sports.
 Chris the Tall 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

Been riding my bike all day, but it seems Laura Trott has won another gold. I think in terms of overlooked and under reported world champions, we all seem to have forgotten Rachel Atherton and Manon Carpenter.

Meanwhile back on the track, I've no idea what was going on in the Madison, but it's great to see two of Britain's greatest ever sportsmen together again, and for Wiggo to be able to retire as a World champion

Gold for Wiggo and Cav! World Champions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...