UKC

CAA Compliant Luminous outdoor coats? (Nurse)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Allan Thomson 06 Mar 2016
Just wondering if anyone can advise of if and where I can buy a high vis (in keeping with CAA regulations) outdoor jacket/Coat suitable for wearing airside of an airport but which would meet a certain spec? It also needs to look smart and professional, and I don't think the bog standard issue ones are offering quite what I'm looking for (I'm cynical about their breathability).

Any feedback on how the garments perform?

Requirements would be:
Luminous Yellow with reflective strips and in line with CAA regulations on what can be worn airside, ideally with green 'healthcare' panels.
Professional looking (ie not like something you'd wear on your bike)
Waterproof
Hood - either integral or removable if it has a secure attachment system
Breathable ideally with ventilation zips
Warm - ideally with a separate liner system? - I would prefer suitable to be worn with a removable fleece or belay jacket rather than something which was padded all the time (any advice on a similar high vis liner jacket or windproof high vis fleece to go with this?)
Ideally Epaulettes
Must have See through panels to allow the insertion of appropriate marking panels
Cuff Fasteners
Hem and Waist bungees or other system to allow for gathering in to prevent heat loss
Bulky pockets
Attachment points

I realise it's a big ask, but have had a look at SP's website and I'm not convinced that their range of jackets offer what I'm looking for (I'm happy to be contradicted if anyone can provide a recommendation that fits the criteria?), and I've looked at what is supplied to Mountain Rescue Teams which don't seem to meet the criteria to be airside from what I've seen.

Conditions which it will have to perform in will include inside vehicles, inside cold unheated aircraft in the air, outside on the apron and possibly outside elsewhere, inside some heated buildings.

Thoughts?
 Brownie 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Allan Thomson:

Hi

try doing a search for
Keela high vis waterproof jacket
as issued to police

B
OP Allan Thomson 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Brownie:

Hi Brownie, that looks quiet professional, the only thing that did make me wonder is the style of the high vis markings being 'blue police' just concerned there might be issues there? Notice there are a few on fleebay at reasonable prices though. Have you got any experience as to what they perform like? Are they prone to leakage or condensation? What's the breathability like? Did notice it doesn't seem to have the cuff fasteners though.
 Brownie 06 Mar 2016

Hi

The shorter length Keela ones are a variation on their Munro jacket (lots reviews about) which is very good and used by some MR teams, they are on the warm side but good if you are standing about a lot 'working' rather than full on walking, Have pit zips if it gets too warm. Have velcro at wrists.
I use a green version Munro jacket for birdwatching and it is good, not had any problems with water getting in.
I think the long length ones are different - prob. not as good
ebay.co.uk/itm/Police-Hi-Vis-Keela-Jacket-Waterproof-Breathable-Walking-Horse-Riding-SMALL-/261855164708?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 New ones come up occasionally

I'm not sure if they are CAA ok - don't know much about that - but they are Cat 3 road ok Could you wear a vest on top?

B
 Tim Davies 06 Mar 2016

Make sure it's done up! Otherwise it's an easy fine from the airport security enforcers.

My poundland hi-viz meets the requirements (set by the airport not the caa) is light, breathable and reflects.

Calski 07 Mar 2016

i personally would not go anywhere near a Keela jacket - barely breathable and will struggle to keep water out if you're in wet conditions for any length of time. However, you will almost certainly get those who love them, in particular their cost versus other brands. I have an issue one but always resort to a personal gore-tex jacket when the weather is grim, particularly in winter.

That being said, if you are going to be working in the rain for relatively short periods and not exerting yourself a huge amount, Keela might be fine. Although it sounds contradictory to what I've just said, if you're looking for it to use pre-hospital / 1POS then I suspect none of the fabrics in use just now would cope with the exertion of a 'real job.' Sufficient venting is going to be your best bet in that case.

I presume you have thought about a lightweight vest to wear over another favoured jacket?
 neuromancer 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Calski:

Weird. Having owned and used a keela in more grim conditions than most (two weeks of non stop rain without a single night of hard cover overhead) I didn't find that it leaked internally once.

Heavy and hot though.

Luminous...? You need one that emits light? (they do exist: electroluminescent fabrics)

Or did you mean fluorescent...?
 Greasy Prusiks 07 Mar 2016

Maybe try military surplus type places. They often do some police coats that may match what you're after.
OP Allan Thomson 08 Mar 2016
In reply to all:
Thanks, some good ideas there, but still not sure about the styling of the jackets - want to try to keep away from something which is too Police looking and look more for a healthcare look (ie similar to those worn by the Ambulance crews and similar looking to the issue ones).

I did mean fluorescent, wasn't looking for a light emitting jacket sorry, poor choice of words there.

Neuromancer your experience sounds interesting with regards to the Keela?

I guess the issue is going to be a balance between being warm and waterproof and breathability.

I guess ideally what I was looking for would be something which was a cross between your typical outdoor breathable outer shell coat and the issue jackets in the fluorescent material and with the reflective strips plus the see through panels for the insertion of marking strips.
 fmck 08 Mar 2016

Large range at Arco. Cheap to Rolls Royce. Find your local branch and go have a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...