UKC

Velopark World Champs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 07 Mar 2016
Well I never thought watching bikes whizzing round and round a track could be so watchable. Started watching it Frid night and with Jason, Laura, Cav and Wiggo amongst others, I was hooked.
Amazing how tactical it all was, and I even almost understood the Madison!!

Laura in fairness is in a different class!!

Bring on the Olympics....

Oujmik 07 Mar 2016
In reply to JamButty:

You should try watching it in person. The atmosphere in the London velodrome is amazing, the noise of the boards and the crowd... plus you're so close to the action. Even the furthest people are closer than the front row at a big football stadium and the front row could literally reach out and touch the riders.
OP JamButty 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

yeah really tempted now, would never had considered it in the past.
 The New NickB 07 Mar 2016
In reply to JamButty:

It's worth having a go, you can book a session on a hired bike. Gives you a good understanding of how difficult what they are doing is, especially in something like the Madison. I'll warn you now though, it's quite scary for the first few laps.
OP JamButty 08 Mar 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Ha, gotta love the dislike button - why would your comments be disliked!
Cheers, Manc isn't that far so its tempting, the track angle on certain camera shots looks scary itself!

Chris the Tall 08 Mar 2016
In reply to JamButty:

> Ha, gotta love the dislike button - why would your comments be disliked!

> Cheers, Manc isn't that far so its tempting, the track angle on certain camera shots looks scary itself!

Taster sessions at Manc are, or were, ridiculously cheap, albeit at awkward times if you work. I asked about the angle and I think I was told it was 42 degrees (or percent) at its steepest, and that it is steeper than most. I"d just come back from a trip to Ailfroide and thinking that we'd been smearing up slabs not too much steeper! One of our party didn't venture further up than the black line!
 steveriley 08 Mar 2016
In reply to JamButty:

If you get chance go - it's great. The feel of being pressed into the tightness of the bend when you're belting along is great and if there's a few of you you're generating your own swirl of air pushing you around. Once you get your confidence you can actually go right up the banking without much speed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...