UKC

New to outside climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Suffolknewbie 07 Mar 2016
My son and I are planning a trip to Llanberis over the summer holidays and would like to get some climbing done while up there, can any one point me in the right direction of some easy climbs around Llanberis area please
 Duncan Bourne 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Suffolknewbie:

Depending on experience there are a few easy classics in the Pass or you could nip round to Ogwen and check out Tryfan or Idwal
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

It will be my son's First time out on real rock and my first time in 10 years so somthing easy ish was thinking ogwen to get the boy used to rock
 veteye 07 Mar 2016

Agree with Ogwen, but it may well be a good idea to go and do some single pitch climbing on a couple of weekends before you go-probably in the peak district. Start at Windgather and then progress to parts of Stanage or possibly Burbage North, and especially Birchen.
In reply to veteye:

Didn't think off the peaks might well be worth a drive up there for a weekend.
 gd303uk 07 Mar 2016

how old is your son?

I would recommend checking out the Moelwyns some great multi pitch climbing and a nice walk off, you could tick 3 good routes off in a day,
In reply to gd303uk:

My son is nearly 12 but strong for his age Would be going with a mate that climbs aswell
 gd303uk 08 Mar 2016
a day or two on slate would be fun, some good sport routes for you and a few ( not many) easy trad routes like, seamstress you could play on.

if you haven't got them get the ground up north wales guide or the rock fax north wales guide both good.
Post edited at 00:04
 Skyfall 08 Mar 2016

Yup, Ogwen easy classics but bear in mind the cold in the shade (idwal slabs go into shade fast).

Some of the easy stuff on the South facing crags in the Pass might be better?

Holyhead mountain near South stack is sunny and there's easy slabby stuff - with nice walking - could be fun?

Tremadog sunny and fab but long'ish routes and not a lot below severe. Hail Bebe at v diff.
Suffolknewbie 08 Mar 2016
In reply to gd303uk:

Might be worth looking in to them a bit more... staying at llanberis as the Mrs wants to take the younger 2 on the train to the summit.. might just take the boy bouldering lol
 gd303uk 08 Mar 2016
its a good day out and easy walk to the slate from 'beris and if you get the slate guide there are plenty of sport routes to have a go at, the staff in Joe brown or V12 will point you in the right direction of routes and guide books. both great shops.
Post edited at 00:14

There is virtually nothing as good in the UK as an introduction to big outdoor climbing than the East Face of Tryfan. Perfect rock, excellent protection, lots of exposure. Flying Buttress and Spiral Stairs on the Cromlech, ditto. Idwal Slabs a little more serious (you need to be good at nut placement).
Suffolknewbie 08 Mar 2016
In reply to gd303uk:

Sports routes would work
 Offwidth 08 Mar 2016

Little Tyfan is the perfect place to start. Long single pitch or two pitch, friendly, Mod to Severe range, easy access and used as an introductory crag for generations.

Tryfan Fach
Rigid Raider 08 Mar 2016

Agreed, Little Tryfan is a great starter crag.
 veteye 08 Mar 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

If the son has not been climbing before, I would think that he would possibly be daunted by seconding Spiral Stairs, albeit a brilliant route.It's why I suggested doing single pitch just to get a feel for rock and technique in general.
In reply to veteye:

I agree with omitting Spiral Stairs. On the guidebook second pitch, but usual first pitch, the one that traverses left, there's a lot of space beneath your feet and as I recall the leader sat on the belay above can't seethe second when they get there; so not one for a complete beginner, I think.

Tryfan Fach is a good call and I think there are some routes on the Gribin Facet that might be good too. If that goes well then head for the routes on the east side of Tryfan.

T.
 Sean Kelly 09 Mar 2016
There's a lovely little crag just the other side of the 2 pipes that descend to Cwm Dyli on the Snowdon (Miner's) track from Pen y Pass. It has Via Media an easy VS but most of the other routes are easier and slabby. Easy to walk off and gets quite a bit of sun.
See http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2138
Post edited at 16:08
 OwenM 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Lion rock, opposite side of Llyn Padern to Llanberis. Lots of short easy climbs.
 stubbed 09 Mar 2016

Have you considered going for a scramble instead of roped climbing? North ridge?
 quirky 09 Mar 2016
In reply to OwenM:

There are a few outcrops on the northern end of Llyn Padern with some easy fun climbs, i have taken my kids there and they loved it, roadside and relaxing place to dip their toe in the sunshine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...