UKC

Best Beginner Climbs in the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chris.Thomson 08 Mar 2016
Hi there,

I've been tasked to write an article about best beginner climbing routes in the UK, but my climbing knowledge is almost exclusively limited to dislocating my shoulder on my second trip bouldering.

So I thought I'd come here for some advice. If anyone could recommend some places in the UK to climb for those with limited experience, I'd be very appreciative.

The type of climbing doesn't really matter too much as we can have a variety of things in the article. You'll have to pardon my ignorance with all of this.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
 JJL 08 Mar 2016
In reply to Chris.Thomson:

Not wishing to sound rude, but why doesn't someone else write it????
J1234 08 Mar 2016

Who are you writing this for?
 ebdon 08 Mar 2016

Plagiarise classic rock?
 Greasy Prusiks 08 Mar 2016

I'd recommend a beginner either goes on an instruction course or goes out with an experienced climber! That's what makes it safe not the location.
Well, that's a big question. It's a little like opening a box of chocolates and asking, "Which one should I eat first?". They're all delicious to someone and you may think some of them are too, but others you might not be so keen on, some you really won't like and others may put you off eating chocolates ever again.

And so it is with beginners and climbs. What may suit someone that's been to a wall and knows the basics of belaying may not suit a university fresher's meet; what may suit a child may not suit an adult; what may suit a beginner climbing with an old hand may not suit two novices starting out together.

So forgive people asking for a little more detail. The general principle of the leader always being able to see the second when there's a beginner involved makes the likes of Tryfan Bach and various, usually gritstone, outcrops popular, with the likes of the Idwal Slabs there for those wanting a more "mountain" feel. But there are others in great number too.

Good luck with your article, and with this thread. You may need a helmet.

T.
Post edited at 17:07
 olddirtydoggy 08 Mar 2016

The UKC logs of climbs are all graded and rated as to popularity. Have a look on there and check out youtube as the classics are often filmed.
 tehmarks 08 Mar 2016

How are you going to vet suggestions such that you don't end up recommending silly or downright dangerous routes to beginners?

The In Pinn with a guide has to be in the top 10: East Ridge (Summer) (M)
 ebdon 08 Mar 2016
In reply to tehmarks:

good point - therefore I suggest the south face of Jirishanka as an excellent bigginers climb
 barry donovan 09 Mar 2016

Writers ! No experience informing others with even less experience about lethally risky malarkey on cliffs - hurrah for threads on UKC ! In the words about Barnham . . . " there's a sucker born every minute "
 ianstevens 09 Mar 2016
In reply to tehmarks:

Indian Face (E9 6c) was my first route - easy and well protected.

To the OP: there are loads of instructors and experienced climbers who I'm sure could write a great article. Maybe pass this one on to them.
Chris.Thomson 09 Mar 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

It would seem this would be a better way of doing it judging by the responses on here. Cheers!
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Great, thanks for the help!
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Good luck with your article, and with this thread. You may need a helmet.

Correct! Thanks for the advice, think I may well ask someone else to write it for me or at least have a large input.

ianstevens 09 Mar 2016
Whilst you *could* do it by reading up on it, I think it would take a very long time to do so. Given that the best part of climb recommedendations is the personal side of the story, I think that writing an article such as this using entirely paper-based research would miss out on its full potential. I've been climbing for around 10 years and doubt I could do it justice, as there are parts of the country I simply don't know well enough. Good on you for being able to let it go, I appreciate that its not always easy!
Post edited at 10:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...