UKC

first winter climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
davtay 08 Mar 2016
Just had a great few days camping at Wasdale head campsite, the whole purpose of which was to try and do my first official graded winter climb with crampons and ice axe. I had a great day out Monday, it was absolutely stunning, bright sun and cloudless blue skies, went up side of great gable to styhead tarn and up to great end to have a go at custs gully and at the grand old age of 58 completed it. I found it very hard going, the snow in the gully was very strange, soft snow on top and quite firm underneath, when I got under the chockstone I came out into a snow bowl with a headwall about 30 inch high in the middle tapering up to nothing at the edges, just wondered if it had avalanched and left all the loose stuff down the gully ? I think I learned a few things from my trip, 1, its a young mans sport, 2, always remember to watch your feet ( went arse over t*t on the top after lunch when I stood up and started walking) 3, be scared/warey of snow bowls at top of gullies 4, how exciting and enjoyable it is and 5, two axes are better than one.
 pebbles 08 Mar 2016
In reply to davtay:

I'v always thought it was a middle aged woman's sport, but I guess I'm prejudiced :-D
 Stewpot 08 Mar 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Yer in there pal!
davtay 08 Mar 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Sorry for not being politically correct, it's definitely a young persons sport, I watched some young uns soloing central and window gullies and they were flying up them, after I'd done cust's I had a fantastic walk over to Scawfell pike and two young uns flew past me up the final snow field, without crampons, I'm fit for my age but we've no chance, still love it though.
 olddirtydoggy 08 Mar 2016
In reply to davtay:

Don't give in to your age, I was on Nethermost gully last weekend and the party ahead were some older than you. Enjoy it.
davtay 08 Mar 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I'll never do that, want to do some classic easy routes on the Ben, a triathlon and a visit to the alps before I get too old, just need to get a bit fitter and loose a bit of weight LOL
 pebbles 09 Mar 2016
In reply to davtay:
speak for yourself!!!!! I reckon low cunning and technique are as valuable as brute strength. ( Just in theory, if I had any ) And I can out-stupid a sensible 20 year old any day ;-D. But I reckon "its a young persons game" is just a reason we give ourselves for not trying harder. I reckon for the majority of us motivation is far more critical than age or inate ability
Post edited at 09:12
 iksander 09 Mar 2016
In reply to davtay:

> Sorry for not being politically correct, it's definitely a young persons sport, I watched some young uns soloing central and window gullies and they were flying up them, after I'd done cust's I had a fantastic walk over to Scawfell pike and two young uns flew past me up the final snow field, without crampons, I'm fit for my age but we've no chance, still love it though.

Congrats on your first winter climb - sounds like fun. Sorry but age is no excuse though - in your 50s? You're in good company. If you're unfamiliar, look up the exploits of the likes of Sandy Allan, Rick Allen, Mick Fowler, Andy Nisbet etc.
davtay 09 Mar 2016
In reply to iksander:

I don't not do anything because of my age, it just takes me longer to do it on my dodgy knees LOL
 wercat 09 Mar 2016
In reply to davtay:

Ahem! Ahem!. As one of those soloing the gullies I'd like to tell you that you're the young 'un, youth!
davtay 09 Mar 2016
In reply to wercat:

Nice one, was you the gent with the white helmet on who was going back down to do another gully, about 1pm i think, I was the chap with the grey helmet and blue Rab jacket on, I decided to get more practice in using crampons without falling over so went over to Scawfell, the snow was brilliant, very hard and solid.
 wercat 09 Mar 2016
In reply to davtay:

That might have been me as I think I remember speaking, but was a long and lovely day- you certainly chose a brilliant one to make your debut!

davtay 09 Mar 2016
In reply to wercat:

It was all planned around the weatherman who got it absolutely spot on, if I knew how to put a picture on people could see how stunning it was, dont know about you but I got a right sun tan.
 deugar 09 Mar 2016
In reply to davtay:

I was also up Custs on Monday and equally pleased with myself at 50! Met a lady a little older who was also pleased having not done it for many a year. I certainly felt it had a sting in the tail from the chockstone to the exit bowl after the powder steps lower down. I have a flickr album of photos - if you're interested I can PM the link. Absolutely stunning day.
davtay 09 Mar 2016
In reply to deugar:

Please
 Babika 09 Mar 2016
> Don't give in to your age, I was on Nethermost gully last weekend and the party ahead were some older than you. Enjoy it.

Hang on!

I was in the party ahead that soloed up to the cornice and I can confirm that none of us were older than davtay - or even close!

Our larking around must have made us appear older.....
Post edited at 23:32
 olddirtydoggy 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

I'm sure I saw a few grey hairs sneaking out the side of those helmets.
 Billhook 10 Mar 2016
In reply to davtay:

Davtay, I'm 66 in a few months. I'm no great shakes as a climber but I've done easy winter routes such as Aonach Eagach, Ledge Route followed by CMD, the Forcan Ridge and the Liathach traverse all solo and all within the last two or three winters.

Plodding or pushing your way through deep soft snow isn't easy when you're young and its never going to be 'fun' plodding up some great slope of soft snow just to reach a climb, regardless of age.
 wercat 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

"Plodding or pushing your way through deep soft snow isn't easy when you're young and its never going to be 'fun' plodding up some great slope of soft snow just to reach a climb, regardless of age."

I was just thinking that on Tuesday - there's more fun trying to circumvent the direct approach sometimes, trying to spot the neve in the gloom that will take you higher faster and less tireder!
 wercat 10 Mar 2016

frosted hair?
 Babika 10 Mar 2016
In reply to wercat:

yes, now I come to think of it, twodada did have a whiskered Father Christmas appearance from the chill.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...