UKC

Has Obama shot Trump's fox?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 08 Mar 2016
Now that "Obama" has bombed the cr*p out of Al Shabab is that one less thing for Trump to boast he's gonna do?
 Shani 08 Mar 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

bit.ly/1LPqqzq

"With that boilerplate set of claims in place, huge numbers of people today who have absolutely no idea who was killed are certain that they all deserved it."
 Roadrunner5 08 Mar 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Now that "Obama" has bombed the cr*p out of Al Shabab is that one less thing for Trump to boast he's gonna do?

The military have come out and quashed some of Trumps recent claims about being so much of a leader the US military will kill terrorist families if he says so..

I think finally the wind may be coming out of Trumps sails.. his recent KKK comments and Trump University have been an issue for him. Sadly Cruz will probably profit from this and he's potentially worse..

The thing is Trump could be a great president. He has some great businesses when he surrounds himself with great people.. however he also gets it wrong a lot, is totally immoral, unethical and also just goes bankrupt whenever a business gets in trouble.

Its not a risk the US should take.

I actually don't think he's a racist xenophobic character he is acting like, he just thinks by playing these cards he will get elected. If he thought bringing in more Mexicans would get him elected he'd do that.. the man has no core principles.

Removed User 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Sadly Cruz will probably profit from this and he's potentially worse..

Sad and worse because he might actually win against Clinton. Not that I'm a fan of hers, but...

> The thing is Trump could be a great president

if he wasn't who and what he is.

> Its not a risk the US should take.

Agreed.

> I actually don't think he's a racist xenophobic character he is acting like, he just thinks by playing these cards he will get elected. If he thought bringing in more Mexicans would get him elected he'd do that.. the man has no core principles.

I agree about the core principles, or lack of, however what you see is what you'll get to a large extent. Two friends of mine were involved in one of his more infamous ventures here and have been in several meetings where he (as client) was present, both virtual and actual, and they said he behaves exactly like he does on TV, bullying, psychopathic, solipsistic and like a comedy tyrant. Someone got sacked during the course of every meeting, sometimes to be rehired at the end of it because he needed something done and he needed it done now.

I think he is genuinely crazed and a potentially dangerous individual and it is very sobering to note the support he has despite, or because of, the stuff he says and the way he acts. Godwin's Law is redundant, when was the last time the ordinary people of advanced and civilised country with an existential crisis threw their weight behind a raving demagogue?

Trevers 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Shani:

> bit.ly/1LPqqzq

> "With that boilerplate set of claims in place, huge numbers of people today who have absolutely no idea who was killed are certain that they all deserved it."

And indeed '...the Obama administration has formally re-defined the term “militant” to mean: “all military-age males in a strike zone” unless “there is explicit intelligence posthumously proving them innocent." '
 Roadrunner5 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed User:

That's what I think, the way he is dividing is very Hitler like.. to make things worse he led that odious pledge to him with hitler like salutes...

It's almost like a political comedy when it's real life.. one day we'll laugh at this period hopefully..
 summo 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Trevers:

> And indeed '...the Obama administration has formally re-defined the term “militant” to mean: “all military-age males in a strike zone” unless “there is explicit intelligence posthumously proving them innocent." '

such as it turn out to be a MSF hospital etc..
 plyometrics 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed User:

I think he's a psychopath and suspect the world will become a far more dangerous place with him in charge. His divisive and incendiary style will do international relations no good.

However, there is a tiny part of me that would like to see him in action dealing with other world leaders, like Putin for example. Not that I hope that happens, of course...
 Roadrunner5 09 Mar 2016
In reply to plyometrics:
I'm sick of the US press giving him an easy ride..

He's complaining of the nastiness of the attacks on him..

Yet he has done everything possible, constantly lied, constantly abused, mocked the disabled politician, even having a pastor on who denies sandy hook happened.

He has constantly lied over Trump university and they just back off him.

I really wanted him to attack John Oliver but he didn't. In Britain I think the press would have been far more critical and analytical. There has been an almost absence of reporting of his lies. They've fact checked him on minor websites but they have no made the main stream press enough.

I had a friend show support of Trump and with where we live we have lots of undocumented which Trump threatens to deport, even friends of this person, his best friend. In the end the closer friend of his in the family took him aside and explained that it was beyond politics, he is threatening to split families, families he was also friendly with.

I'd made my views quite clear to him too, in the end he stopped sharing posts on Facebook and has said he wont vote. I don't think many of his supporters really process the reality of what this man is threatening. It's not a game. Since then he's even shared posts against Trump so maybe his views have genuinely changed.
Post edited at 12:36
OP Pete Pozman 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I've never met the kind of American who would vote for Trump.
Because I've never been there I've only met the Americans who travel outside the States. Almost invariably I have found them civilised and well educated.
The Democrats are keeping their powder dry and are clearly hoping he will become the Republicans' presidential candidate as they have a war chest of stuff on him that will nuke the cr*p out of them for a long time to come .
The man is an absolute scoundrel. If he becomes President it will be like appointing the school bully to be headteacher.
 Roadrunner5 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

he's convinced Hilary shouldn't run as she's potentially facing criminal charges..

Where as him being compared to Madoff by a judge, actually is facing civil fraud charges for defrauding at least 5000 people. His case for libel against those who sued him was thrown out and he had to pay their $800k defence fees.

This is moving through the courts.. his response was to question the race of the judge..

He's being audited his response was that he's a Christian so is persecuted.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/08/trump-university-financial-elder-abuse-charge...

For a small fraud case he's not taking seriously he's spent many millions of dollars fighting it, and is on his third law firm as his defence. The man is a bully.

Shani 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:
Don't underestimate how disliked Clinton is. I am reliably informed that she is seen as one of the 'financial establishment' and in the pocket of Wall Street; everything the "We are the 99%" slogan was against.

As in the UK, the 'establishment' have finance and media sewn up so pollsters are missing the bigger picture of anger to the status quo and the strength of opposition to it. This was made visceral by Sanders' win in Michigan.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-polls-missed-bernie-sanders-mic...
Post edited at 09:27
 galpinos 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> I'm sick of the US press giving him an easy ride..

> I really wanted him to attack John Oliver but he didn't. In Britain I think the press would have been far more critical and analytical. There has been an almost absence of reporting of his lies.

Jeremy Hunt's lies and spin misquoting research papers gets regularly broadcast on the BBC without challenge.
 tony 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> I've never met the kind of American who would vote for Trump.

I have. Venture into the flyover states and you'll find them in abundance.

> The Democrats are keeping their powder dry and are clearly hoping he will become the Republicans' presidential candidate as they have a war chest of stuff on him that will nuke the cr*p out of them for a long time to come .

You may be right, but I think both party establishments have been blindsided by the rejection of 'business as usual' in these nomination races. Sanders and Trump are representations of a rejection of the conventional political establishments, and unexpected things are happening. I'd worry that the Democrats might think they've got a hefty war chest, only to have it thrown back at them. Hilary's not exactly squeaky clean either - there's going to be an awful lot of mud thrown in all directions.

J1234 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:
> I've never met the kind of American who would vote for Trump.

> Because I've never been there I've only met the Americans who travel outside the States. Almost invariably I have found them civilised and well educated.

>

Meaning you have not met the people of Middle America who feel side lined by the East Coast Washington elite and the West Coast tech elite. To many of these people whose living standards have stagnated for the past number of years, the American Dream is history. They are fearful and feel unfairly treated and are willing to try something different.

Post edited at 10:56
 neilh 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Trump is what is known as " a snake oil salesman" in American terms.Most yanks think of him like that.

The real issue is how the GOP has been hijacked by him and the lack of really good alternative candidates from the Republican party.Romney at the last election was terrible, and the current crop are just as bad.Ever since the rise of the " tea party" they have struggled.
J1234 10 Mar 2016
In reply to neilh:

> Trump is what is known as " a snake oil salesman" in American terms.Most yanks think of him like that.

>

Do they, what quantative evidence do you have for that. I would argue that his success so far in the primaries would give weight to the opposite view.
 jkarran 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Reggie Perrin:

> Do they, what quantative evidence do you have for that. I would argue that his success so far in the primaries would give weight to the opposite view.

Why? Lets pick some very rough figures from the air, you can no doubt look up the real ones but these will do for a quick and dirty check: Maybe 1/3 of voters are registered republicans, maybe 1/2 of those vote in primaries and maybe 1/2 of them are voting for Trump. Shocking I agree but there's no accounting for taste. That's 1/18 or roughly 5% of 'mericans and I wouldn't personally describe 5% of a population as 'most' of them.
jk
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
> Do they, what quantative evidence do you have for that. I would argue that his success so far in the primaries would give weight to the opposite view.

Why? He's not even getting half the republican vote in these elections when not everyone voted... Polls say 60-65% of voters think very negatively of him. Hilary beats him comfortably in most polls, despite what he says..
Post edited at 12:15
Removed User 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Why? He's not even getting half the republican vote... Polls say 60-65% of voters think very negatively of him. Hilary beats him comfortably in most polls, despite what he says..

This.

At least I hope so.
J1234 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Yes the Polls, slightly discredited I would say.
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
Not really.. If you average most polls out they get a decent picture.

He's mocked a disabled reporter, attacked the pope, attacked Hispanics continually, mocked women about breast feeding and the Megan bleeding from wherever comment..

I think you are underestimating the hatred many feel about him. One of my students walked out yesterday and turned to me and said "hey doc I'm voting against trump not for Hilary come november'.. And he's openly a republican..

If you ignore the polls and go off pure votes the majority of republicans do not support trump! So how can you say the majority of Americans support him. You were wrong.
Post edited at 12:37
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Shani:

> Don't underestimate how disliked Clinton is. I am reliably informed that she is seen as one of the 'financial establishment' and in the pocket of Wall Street; everything the "We are the 99%" slogan was against.

> As in the UK, the 'establishment' have finance and media sewn up so pollsters are missing the bigger picture of anger to the status quo and the strength of opposition to it. This was made visceral by Sanders' win in Michigan.

I think she's almost out of sight.

He just won Michigan but she hammered him in Mississippi (85% of the vote - those states are being ignored in analysis like that). He's not getting the black vote and struggling with Hispanics and being hammered in the states with a high number of minorities. Even in Michigan he only took 28% of the black vote.. if that doesn't change he's out.

I do like him, I think he's the only one who can wake up and look himself in the mirror. however I also think Clinton is a good politician, a hard bitch who will do a good job, as Bill did.

This anger is all misplaced. The US is on a pretty good track right now, economically things are improving, construction is improving. We've the race issues but going republican won't help that.

There was a report on CNN last night saying if the numbers Obama has right now on employment rates, economic growth and construction were those under a republican president they would be happy.

I'm hoping Clinton wins as another few elections and the minorities vote starts to become the majorities vote and then the republican stance will have to shift on issues like immigration and support for the less well off.

neilh 10 Mar 2016

I speak to quite a few everyday.....mid-West, West and east coast.
J1234 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

>

> If you ignore the polls and go off pure votes the majority of republicans do not support trump! So how can you say the majority of Americans support him. You were wrong.

I have not said the majority of Americans support him. I just querried the assertation by neilh that "Most yanks think of him like that."
I have no idea what most Americans think, but I do think people put forward figures based on their own bias, as fact. When a little probing reveals little substance behind many of them.
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
In reply to neilh:

Did you see all the trump products on display?

Someone took a picture of the steaks, they weren't trump steaks..

Trump wines weren't Donald Trump according to one analysis..

Trump magazine has gone out of business.

His airline did go bust, he made a massive loss, not a fantastic deal.

He's a pathological liar who thinks the American public are thick.
 neilh 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

That about sums it up.

The GOP has a big problem its been hijacked by the " tea Party" and religous fundamentalists.Yet most voters in the States will vote for " middle of the road" politics, despite what we think of over here, the rednecks do not have that much political power imho. Its Clintons to lose as long as she gets the nomination.
Removed User 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> I think you are underestimating the hatred many feel about him. One of my students walked out yesterday and turned to me and said "hey doc I'm voting against trump not for Hilary come november'.. And he's openly a republican..

This will be a key thing if Trump becomes the GOP's candidate. 8 years ago, iirc, the grandmaster/pooh-pah of the KKK urged his members to vote Obama because McCain was too obsessed with more war. It was of course couched in the worst of no-neck redneck thinking: "He's a negro you can respect, at least he married within his own kind." But it is the vote that counts and on TV if not on paper, Trump makes McCain look like Jeremy Corbyn.
 neilh 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

A " snake oil salesman" in other words.
J1234 10 Mar 2016
In reply to neilh:

> I speak to quite a few everyday.....mid-West, West and east coast.

At a guess well paid professionals, not many on benefits or unemployed. At a guess the ones you speak to will be in the top 10 - 15 percentile of earnings, £30K gets you this in the UK, so hardly representative.
 neilh 10 Mar 2016

You are making the wrong assumptions....I deal in manufacturing.

You are also not looking at what happened to the republican party at the last election.That is a strong indicator of what is going on.The republican party has been in a state of turmoil for the last few years about how to win the presidential.They are still grappling with how they lost the last one. That is why the GOP is so opposed to Trump, they know it will lose them the election.
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
> At a guess well paid professionals, not many on benefits or unemployed. At a guess the ones you speak to will be in the top 10 - 15 percentile of earnings, £30K gets you this in the UK, so hardly representative.

"
Do they, what quantative evidence do you have for that. I would argue that his success so far in the primaries would give weight to the opposite view. "

You said this..

It is not true. The quantitatve evidence suggests the majority of republicans do not support him. Neil said most americans see him as a snake oil salesman..

The quantitative evidence supports that view. He is getting 30-40% in most republican primaries which the democrats don't vote in, has he exceeded 50% in any? These last ones were 48% ish but not the magic 50 line which gets him all the delegates in those states.

Yes he has support. Enough to make him president? I don't think so. He's played the race/immigration card. He knows that wont work so is at this very moment doubling back rapidly on many of these claims and trying to be softer to unite the party and get more independents. But he was so vindictive, so nasty, the throwing out of protestors, the crowds beating people...

That's been seen. Most Americans are embarrassed by him.
Post edited at 12:59
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
In reply to neilh:
> You are making the wrong assumptions....I deal in manufacturing.

> You are also not looking at what happened to the republican party at the last election.That is a strong indicator of what is going on.The republican party has been in a state of turmoil for the last few years about how to win the presidential.They are still grappling with how they lost the last one. That is why the GOP is so opposed to Trump, they know it will lose them the election.

Exactly.. the party does believe they need to chase the minority vote to get back in power and then Trump has come in on totally the other end of the spectrum and is winning.. they thought with two Hispanics they would get that vote. Cruz is very conservative and far from the establishment but Rubio was one of their own, young, well spoken, highly educated and experienced, Hispanic.. I think they thought they had it sown up.

Rubio worried me as I thought he could win an election, Trump worries me most as he's so unpredictable, I think he's very unlikely to win but politics here is very entrenched, more so than the UK, many vote along party lines.
Post edited at 13:02
J1234 10 Mar 2016
In reply to neilh:

>

> You are also not looking at what happened to the republican party at the last election.That is a strong indicator of what is going on.The republican party has been in a state of turmoil for the last few years about how to win the presidential.They are still grappling with how they lost the last one. That is why the GOP is so opposed to Trump, they know it will lose them the election.

I do not dispute this. I just feel that in the aftermath of the crash of 2008 people are fearful and possibly looking for a change from the embedded elites that we have in power. I feel this was a strong part of the SNP vote and much anti EU sentiment, and maybe though probably not Trump will gain from this and Clinton lose out.
The world is in flux at the moment, and people are fearful, and fear makes animals unpredictable.
 Shani 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> This anger is all misplaced. The US is on a pretty good track right now, economically things are improving...

I'm not so sure about this, I mean why are the electorate heading towards 'unconventional' politicians like Trump and Sanders if this were the case?
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016

But this isn't the UK or Scotland..

The US isn't really in flux. It is actually pretty stable. The lies spun about immigration try to hide that but mexican immigration is almost at 0 as many returned. The main threat comes from people coming in from central america.

The republicans play on fear, that we are losing america, a view of america they have created.. where it is suddenly almost a theocracy and that they are being attacked by ISIS and hispanics and the rest of anyone not them.. even gay marriage being forced on them, without really explaining how the hell that affects them.

Since 2008 Obama has slowly turned around the US economy. It's not growing quite at the rate people want but it is growing. Trump talks about unemployment not being 5-6% but 30 even 40% of americans not working....

That 30-40% figure includes those people never included in such figures; the retired, the stay at home mums, the disabled. He's a con artist and most see him as that.

Trump has gained but enough to beat Hilary? He's never posted the sorts of numbers she has, 70-80% of the votes within state? If he did he'd be all over it.

As I said I like Bernie, but his supporters have been quite disingenuous at times and shared lies and unsubstantiated claims about her. They have over played his victories and ignored her wins. They've also used the super delegate card as evidence of establishment corruption, which they know very well from 2008 doesn't mean anything, they can and will change and back him, should he become the front runner. But as it stands, despite Bernie's movement, he is not winning. She won the majority of the delegates again on Tuesday yet it was made out like he won. His wins are often small, by 1-2%, which means they basically take home the same number of delegates, then she hammers him in other states.

Most also realize Trump is part of the establishment. He's had his hands in the pockets of politicians for decades. If they re so inactive how come he gave them millions?

He accused the District Attorney in NY sueing him for fraud of only doing so because the lawyer fighting trump donated to his campaign.. the DA checked his accounts and guess who gave him more? Donald Trump...

Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Shani:
> I'm not so sure about this, I mean why are the electorate heading towards 'unconventional' politicians like Trump and Sanders if this were the case?

Because they aren't.. Do you dispute things are improving? Have a look at the evidence? Have a look at the jobs? Have a look at the huge housing complexes which were mothballed for 5 years suddenly being developed again..

65% of the republicans do not back Trump..

A similar number support Hilary over a long term politician in Sanders. He is a long term senator.

He's offering a fairly radical approach, by US standards, which is appealing to the young especially. I don't think that means anger at the establishment on the democrat side. Generally it has been pretty mild debates between the two of them. Actually welcoming when you watch the childish debates of the republicans.

There's a great photo on FB at the moment. Trumps 'Make American Great Again' hats 'made in china'.. the man is the worlds great snake oil salesman. Trump University says it all about him. 'I hand picked every instructor' and they pull some guy out of some fast food outlet who Trump has never even heard of nor spoke to...

There's actually increasing anger towards Trump.

I was chatting to a guy the other night, long term lawyer, very calm considered guy, he actually thinks Trump will likely be assassinated should he win. He even said he thought Trump could be good as he does often appoint the right people around him but he's attacked so many, so angrily, people are out for him like no other president in history will have been.
Post edited at 13:59
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Shani:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

This site is worth a watch..

It provides results of all the polls
 tony 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Do you know what happens to the delegates of candidates who drop out before the conventions? For example, Kasich currently has 54 delegates. If he drops out before they convention, how do those delegates get reassigned? Or don't they?
 Shani 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> This site is worth a watch..

> It provides results of all the polls

Thanks. I'll take a look.
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:
I just asked and was told that is why 'endorsements' are so important as those delegates move over and should vote on those lines as long as trump gets 1237.. For example now Christie has endorsed trump, fiorina has endorsed Cruz, and bush is meeting with Rubio, Cruz and kasich at the moment. There delegates should vote that way.

However as I understand it if trump doesn't get 1237 any delegate can vote as they want second time around..

That was from a teacher at the school..
Post edited at 14:43
 tony 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks for that. So there's still a lot up for grabs. The picture is very much that it's all Trump, but there is still a long way to go. Not that I think any of the other contenders are going to close the gap.
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

Unfortunately the only person who can probably catch him is cruz.. Very intelligent but very conservative.
 tony 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Yeah, Cruz is scary. He'd have all the schoolbooks teaching that the Sun goes round the Earth.
 Roadrunner5 10 Mar 2016
In reply to tony:

Also Cruz beats Clinton in the recent polls, or at least it is very close. As it stands Trump is way off, despite him saying polls show the opposite.. he just lies constantly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...