UKC

Calling all women explorers, I need your help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NessaMay 08 Mar 2016
I have previously posted about my trip to Everest Base Camp, now I need the help from the women of this site who are used to trekking. I need boots, shoes, jacket, rucksack etc. Are there any women out there who could help me in the direction of good gear that I can get for my trek. Very vague I know but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Ness
 BAdhoc 08 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

Where you based? There's some good packs in the Rab/Lowe alpine factory shop at the moment
OP NessaMay 09 Mar 2016
In reply to BAdhoc:

I'm in Manchester
 katherinec85 09 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:

Hi Ness,

I went to EBC back back in 2010. The company that I went with (Adventure Peaks) issued me with a really comprehensive kit list, so it might be good to get hold of something like that? You're very welcome to contact me if you want to know what sorts of things I took - e.g. what I was wearing during the day, and the extra layers needed at night. I don't want to write a ton of useless info here, and bore you silly, so if you've got any questions, feel free to get in touch.
hikerpike 10 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:
Hi NessaMay,

I've got a TRESPASS IGLOO Down jacket for sale.It is red and XL SIZE.

It is brand new with tags and still in it's box.(i.e Couple days I've had it)I paid £70 for it ( with free postage) from the online shop.

It's not needed as I settled for the XXL SIZE .The XL was a bit tight at the shoulder because being box-like shape, it almost looks like the chest measurement and waist are identical.

If you want to know your 'trespass' size go into any tkmaxx shop and try on any trespass article of upper body-wear clothing such as a jacket.I found all the XXL are best for me including their down jackets.

It is not an expensive name like RAB or Mountain Equipment ( I do own a XL ME Kongur goretex waterproof BTW) which could cost hundreds I hear.But this is a hooded very warm and comfortable full down jacket and looks perfect for cold climates or conditions.50% down/50% feather,Approx - 1.4kg.Decent quality.Presumably does what it's meant to do.I'd feel quite comfortable spending least a night outside in it.-like a duvet wrapped around you but comfortable.

I'd post it to you for £65 ONO OFFER - free postage - i.e included.

(Bear in mind that to protect yourself from the rain one would wish to pair this potentially with a waterproof jacket too)
Post edited at 00:40
Zoro 10 Mar 2016
In reply to NessaMay:
hi NessaMay,

My wife is a size16 with....er....an ample chest....?....
She really likes RAB for jackets, meindl for boots, and craghoppers for leg wear. She has had to try on a lot of different brands to get the right fit though!

The russack she prefers is my Macpac ascent 40, the latest version. She found the women specific packs were either to fussy, or couldn't get a comfortable fit.

In my opinion it is worth going to a large store to try on as many garments as you can, i am amazed the difference in size/fit when moving from one brand to another!

If you do find what you're after in the larger stores it might then be worth checking with some of the smaller independent shops such as JoeBrown, Needlesports, rock&run, as often they can beat the larger stores on price, with a much better service!

Hope this is some help,

Grithugger.

Post edited at 09:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...