UKC

MSR Windburner or Reactor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 A Reid 09 Mar 2016
I'm looking for an exped stove for melting snow, that runs on gas, has a heat exchanger and a regulator. In the past I've used the jetboil sumo which was good.
Just wondering how much difference there is between the MSR reactor and MSR windburner now they both have options for a 1.8L pot.

The windburner is quite a bit cheaper and the pot can be attached to the burner. Hence more inclined towards this at the moment, and more useful afterwards for UK based expeditions. But people suggest the reactor might be better for all out snow melt...

Any thoughts???
In reply to A Reid:

I have both the 1L Windboiler (Windburner now) and a 1.7L Reactor
I use the Windboiler often its brilliant stable and boils quickly ,however its not as quick as the reactor! Mainly only use the Reactor for Winter Summit Camping and its
Great for snowmelt, Id go for the 1.8L Windburner its CHEAPER, has better stability
With the canister stand and the pot locks in place ,think its also a tad lighter
 RR 10 Mar 2016
In reply to A Reid:

Since you say expedition stove, Iā€™m tended towards the Reactor. Faster and better suited for snow melting, is my experience, but nothing else, just snowmelting. If your use is not high altitude, alpine winter, then I would opt for the Windburner. There is much to say for the Windburner since it is field resettable, Reactor is not. Both are reliable stoves. Have also a look at the Jet Boil titanium. Lighter, easy valve system. Though I have had (seldom) problems with the wind and the Jetboil.
The coffeemaker of the Reactor is crap; take Starbuck Via or something like. The windboiler press is just as the Jetboil thing good. Coffee = vitamins.
If you want to simmer, for what?, then the Windboiler is good.
Anyways I have never used Primus Winter gas, the brown canisters, that seem to perform better in very cold conditions. Me have just used MSR red, Primus Red or the Coleman stuff. When nearly empty then you have starter and burn problem otherwise not.
 bradfry 10 Mar 2016
I'm on my fourth reactor stove. I wouldn't dare take it out of the van. At least they keep replacing it for free!
OP A Reid 10 Mar 2016
In reply to bradfry:

Conflicting opinions, thanks for the advice though. Will be using at altitude. The field reset sounds good on the windburner, but how often do they trip...

bradfy can I ask what keeps failing on the stove???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...