UKC

Foot pain in winter boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pok 10 Mar 2016
Hi folks, wondering if I can pick the brains of the brains trust here.

I've had an issue a couple of times now, where there is a pain in my foot, from the 'ball' across the arch to the heel, after walking for a while in my stiff boots.

I also get it occasionally when running in my trainers- Although not so much of a problem then, as it gives me a good excuse to stop running and go home. But I don't want to do that when I'm climbing!

Should I be looking to do some kind of stretching? Different insoles? No insoles? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Abacus 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Pok:

Your problem is excessive use of the plantar fascia which is a tough band of tissue that supports the arch stretching like a bow string from the heel to the ball of the foot. Lots of runners suffer from it. You get inflammation and it becomes very painful. Go to see your doctor to confirm. My partner had it. She bought a PediRoller on the internet and did daily exercises with it suggested in the pack. It worked and the symptoms disappeared after a couple of months. If you catch it early you can fix it quickly. She also bought a foot brace which she wore at night. But please go and check with your Doctor first. My partner is walking normally now, no pain, no symptoms. Good luck!
 Adam_Turner 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Pok:

I would agree that it also sounds like plantar fascitis . There's various stretches around, one of the typical ones being to roll a tennis ball (or beer bottle!) along the affected area. Insoles also help some people.

As above, go see a physio or doctor for diagnosis and they can give you more direction.
 NottsRich 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Pok:

Treat it now, don't let it get worse.
In reply to Pok:

PF sounds a likely candidate, but if you reported it skiing (very stiff boots), I'd ask if you were cramping your toes to stop your feet moving; boots too big/not tight enough.
 nniff 14 Mar 2016
In reply to Pok:

What they said.

You might want to consider volume reducers in your boots if, on reflection, you think you might be hanging on with your toes. They're only about a fiver, but you run a trial by putting some sheets of cardboard under your insoles (the thin non-compressible shoe box/cereal packet type rather than the sort from thick brown universal cardboard boxes and see if it feels any better for a short distance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...