UKC

Everest Base camp Solo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stephen3005 11 Mar 2016
Hi,

I'm hoping to do the EBC trek over Christmas this year solo. Any advice, issues to be aware of. Has any one done the trek at this time of year?

Many thanks,
Stephen.
 BruceM 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Stephen3005:

Here it is just prior to Christmas (flew out of Lukla Christmas day).

youtube.com/watch?v=cRKboyEINqo&

Snow came just as we were leaving, but that year it can big-time in October too!

That video should answer many of your questions. Two of us, but independent.

Great time to go.

Have fun!
 Escher 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Stephen3005:

Bear in mind your insurance may not fully cover you due to annoyingly restrictive FCO travel advice. It says that you must have a guide and/or trek with a registered agency and most of the insurers underwrite as such.

Obviously it is very cold at that time of year, you'll need a 4+ season sleeping bag and down jacket but temps can be quite pleasant during the day. There is a section or two on the way to Gokyo where ice can cover the whole path with a big drop on one side, it is believed that one solo trekker who went missing may have met his end there. Instep crampons might be useful in that case. On the trail to EBC via Lobuche there were some more icy stretches but I don't remember them being near any dangerous drops.

Personally I prefer the valley up to Gokyo than EBC, for me more spectacular, better views of Everest despite being further away and better side trips from the high point. Both of the valleys are worth visiting to be honest. Also the climb up to Tengboche is a killer if going EBC way. If you do go that way then rather than staying in Tengboche (which is a dump, albeit a famous one), just walk on 5-10 minutes to Deboche which is much nicer.

When I went in January there were very few other trekkers about but as it is an up and back route beyond Namche unless you go over a pass or divert to the Imja or Gokyo valleys then you are likely to be walking similar stages as the people you meet so there should be a couple of people around who you can tell where you are going so at least someone will have an idea if you go AWOL!
 andrewm1000 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Stephen3005: I was in the Everest region for 2.5 months from Jan to March although other times have been in October and April. A few of my thoughts on differences between January and the fall trekking season which tails off after mid-December;

1) its the best time to go to EBC. There are far few trekkers but still people on the main trails so you'll never actually be alone. A few companies organize now xmas / new year EBC trips that were almost unheard of 10 years ago. Crystal clear skies should be the norm for most of the trip but you can always be unlucky. You have to be ready for some heavy snowfall but even that won't cause you problems on the main trail to EBC. Day time temps in January are better for trekking (it gets really hot in main seasons) and still warm but on the other hand much colder evenings and nights.
2) If you are going on the main route from Namche to EBC and back the same way then solo is fine if you really want to considering risks of being alone if you get sick etc... If you plan to do the trip that BruceM did in the video he posted above (great video) then that's not the EBC route and don't do that solo, (Bruce went all over the place off the main EBC trail for a great trip of the whole area haha) go with a porter at least so you aren't alone. To go in January on those routes should only be for trekkers who are experienced and have been before and then many would have a guide /porter for a few bits of it (Renjo LA, Cho La in winter etc..)
3) you won't need crampons or ice axe for the normal EBC route even in January but I wouldn't wear normal trail shoes as many do in the main seasons but would wear light trekking boots for more warmth and incase of snow.
4) a number of tea houses close in January and re-open again in March/April but there will be many still open and you'll have no problem with accommodation at all. You'll have the pick of the best rooms at good prices.
5) take a slightly warmer down sleeping bag than other seasons but tea houses have blankets so you'll not be cold. I usually carry a bag with a light synthetic and use them together so have options for low down when its warm and higher when its very cold. Otherwise a single good down bag is fine especially if carrying your own gear and weight is an issue.
6) Good down jacket. That's needed anyway for all seasons but is often carried and not used in March/April or Oct/Nov but you'll definitely need it in January, as soon as sun goes down its really cold outside and inside tea houses unless you are close the fire.

PM me if you have any questions.

regards

Andrew
OP Stephen3005 14 Mar 2016
In reply to andrewm1000:

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for your informative reply (I've printed out and will read tonight after work). No doubt I will be in touch with more questions.

I hope you have some adventures on the cards,

Steve.
 BruceM 15 Mar 2016
In reply to andrewm1000:

> 6) Good down jacket. That's needed anyway for all seasons but is often carried and not used in March/April or Oct/Nov but you'll definitely need it in January, as soon as sun goes down its really cold outside and inside tea houses unless you are close the fire.

Agree about this. The single most important item we each took. In December we even walked in these some days. Including walking up hill! Others in the teahouses with less substantial down jackets were feeling the cold and limited in what they were prepared to do. We could stand around outside early morning or after dark in ours. Also can be used to beef up your sleeping bag. (Along with the overcovers the teahouses provide -- which themselves are usually very good.) The teahouses often don't put the fires on in the mornings. And you notice that!!!

Thanks for video comments Andrew. Yes, agree our trip was not the standard EBC in and out. Really just meant that its an example of the possible weather and conditions around there at that time of year. A brilliant trip tho!

Stephen: have fun!
OP Stephen3005 21 Mar 2016
In reply to BruceM:

Many thanks Bruce: You have helped stoke the excitment
 ashtond6 22 Mar 2016
In reply to Stephen3005:

Hey Stephen

You'll have a total blast! I don't know about the insurance etc but

I went alone and was very inexperienced, the place is mental and generally very busy
I met loads of people and always had company for the more serious sections (cho la, Tokyo glacier), I thought the valley down from gokyo was stunning and that tengboche was stunning even though I was ill.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help.

You've actually made me really psyched to go back
OP Stephen3005 29 Mar 2016
In reply to ashtond6:

Hi,

Cheers for the reply. I'm just getting my head around the logistics of it all now so will be in touch.

Thanks again dude!!
the optimist 30 Mar 2016
In reply to Stephen3005:

hi Stephen

the trek in is easy - we cycled in to base camp a few years ago - the only tough bit is the glacier part up to actual base camp we had to carry our bikes most of this section - though some of it was rideable but if walking it was just a typical morain type walk

the other comments about the cold are probably more relevant as it is COLD - especially that time of year and make sure you allow time for acclimatising properly
im sure you will have a great time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...