UKC

Val D'Isere ice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anyone got any idea about conditions and possible locations for ice routes grade 2/3/4 etc. Near Val D'Isere
 Tom the tall 11 Mar 2016
In reply to The Blue Bucket:

20 years ago we climbed on the la daille icefalls, which are directly above the road near an avalanche barrier, no walk in, chain belays at the top of the single pitch routes. Don't know about current situation but we had a fun half day there.
 kevin stephens 11 Mar 2016
With the awesome snow conditions out there at the moment I wouldn't take a day off skiing to go ice climbing
In reply to kevin stephens:

Quite warm out here today. We've been here a week and I've seen nothing in the way of icefalls, lots of snow though.
 Nigel C 12 Mar 2016

It's not great. Left on Wednesday after 3 days of very little.

Cigare de Boisse - not fully complete.

Rogers valley, Les Brevieres - sector 2: scrappy did two routes but only as we were desperate. Was pretty hacked up, thin in places and melting fast. The pillar up at sector 3 looked like it was forming.

La Savinaz - didn't actually go to the base of the routes above the parking, but they looked partially formed but certainly not fat.

Cascade de l'daille - good condition, chewey ice, bailed off it due to high avalanche risk the day we tried. The guide doesn't mention the large couloir above it. Base was full of recent debris.

Good luck, wouldn't have bothered bringing climbing kit if I'd known how it was at the mo, it's been a poor season. May have improved though. N
In reply to Nigel C:

Thanks very much, going on work skiing trip only 3 days and a tight itinerary but when the Manchester derby is on telly would be up for a night time climb if conditions on the Cascade de l'daille were good.
 Dogwatch 22 Mar 2016
Was there skiing last week. Spring had definitely sprung, freezing level at midday around 2000m.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...