UKC

DIY forearm strength / grip trainer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big_T 12 Mar 2016
So i've been in Canada for a couple of months now, at least 5 hours away from any resemblance of indoor or outdoor climbing.
Aprt from an expensive trip ice climbing a few weeks ago, I don't see any climbing happening before I get home in a few months.

My question is, does anybody have any good ideas for some DIY strength training aids specifically for forearm/grip strength?
The aim being to maintain, possibly build, on any forearm/grip strength and endurance.

I made myself a basic hangboard and grip trainers (inspired by metolius power grips) from some offcuts of wood at work but there's only so many times I can use it before boredom starts do eat away at my soul. And grip masters are also mind numbing.
 WildCamper 12 Mar 2016
In reply to t_smallbone:
I use bodyweight calisthenics moves like timed one arm dead-hangs and fingertip push-ups

Pinch grip pull-ups are really effective too
Post edited at 07:25
 Andy Morley 12 Mar 2016
In reply to WildCamper:

As well as a Beastmaker and Gripmaster, I do fingertip shrugs and deadlifts with barbells. No idea how effective this is! Would be interested in some answers to this one myself.
 The Lemming 12 Mar 2016
In reply to t_smallbone:

You could try a small piece of broom handle?

Attach a length of cord to it, about a meter long and tie a weight to the end. Hold the contraption at arm's length before rolling the weight up and down many many times.
 Siderunner 12 Mar 2016
Pinch blocks could be good: section of 6x2 w ring in end that you can hang 10kg+ from and grip in a dead lift position. I'd create a 6x4 by using two sections glued together too. This idea is from Steve Maisch.
 DDDD 12 Mar 2016
In reply to t_smallbone:

This is what I do:

http://www.nicros.com/training/articles/eastern-bloc-training-heavy-finger-...

It absolutely works for me. I tailor it in four weekly cycles building from higher reps through to 1RM in the 4th week.
 paul mitchell 12 Mar 2016
In reply to t_smallbone:

Hangs are the best single grip exercise.From trees,bus stops,whatever you can find.Amazon sell grippers with adjustable tension for about a fiver.I use one. Also a door frame pull up bar off tinternet.
 Paul Crusher R 13 Mar 2016
In reply to t_smallbone:

You could get a portable fingerboard or as you are over the water you'd now call it a portable hangboard... Crusher mission should do the trick..

http://crusherholds.co.uk/crusher-mission-portable-hangboard-fingerboard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...