UKC

Softshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 12 Mar 2016
I'd like a new softshell to replace my trusty old Arcteryx one, which is finally falling apart. It seems that "softshell" can mean lots of different things these days; what I'm after is a lightweight double-layer jacket, with a windproof and water-resistant outer, and a thin but warm "micropile" wicking inner lining. Ideally with a hood, too. I've been looking at the Rab vapour-rise jackets - can anyone suggest other makes/models I should consider? Thanks.
 GridNorth 12 Mar 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:
I have a Rab Vapour-rise smock and an Arcteryx Gamma Hoody. The Arcteryx is far better and more affective.

Vapour-rise does not seem to be very good at repelling water when it is in direct contact with ice when ice climbing although I have found it very good for just walking.

Al
Post edited at 19:36
 dr_botnik 13 Mar 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:
Marmot driclime, the model I have is quite lightweight and suitable for winter running. Buffalo and paramo offer warmer jackets of similar pile/pertex variety
Post edited at 09:49
 TobyA 13 Mar 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Wild Country do the Dynamic jacket which quite like a Driclime. I reviewed here http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7603 I really like mine although it sounds like you might want something a bit warmer? Anyway the Dynamic was good, but not perfect but WC have updated it for this year with a hood and stow pocket - both things I thought would make it great. Anyway the new ones might be worth a look.
OP bpmclimb 13 Mar 2016
In reply to all:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those out ...
Zoro 13 Mar 2016
In reply to GridNorth:
I'd second that, i really like my Rab vapour rise for everything from cragging, mountain routes, walking even mountain biking.

GridNorth is right about the problem with being up against ice, or snow.

Zoro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...