UKC

Office for national statistics survey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davenev 12 Mar 2016
Received a letter today from the office for national statistics saying that we have been selected for an important study!!!

Apparently an interviewer will come round and ask about a range of subjects including work, retirement, unemployment, training and looking after the family and home.

well first of all good luck to the interviewer finding my little smallholding up a track in north wales! Then is it just me or is this just a little intrusive, random stranger knocks on the door and expects to gain a load of info about us, hmmm not really sure about this.

Anyone got any experience of these surveys?
 Timmd 12 Mar 2016
In reply to davenev:
My cagey Scottish grandma used to say 'If someone asks you a question - ask them one back' You could be there for a while
Post edited at 19:53
In reply to davenev:

> well first of all good luck to the interviewer finding my little smallholding up a track in north wales!

I wouldn't worry about being bothered about this!
 donuthead8 12 Mar 2016
In reply to davenev:

Yep we had to do it too. They asked me what my exam results were... I'm 45. I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago.
 Fraser 12 Mar 2016
In reply to davenev:

Do you have the right to decline their 'offer'? Assuming you do, why not just withdraw from the appointment?
 ranger*goy 12 Mar 2016
In reply to davenev:

I did it last autumn, remember getting some free stamps. The guy who came used to work for OS so we had a chat about that after. Not really relevant I know
OP davenev 12 Mar 2016
In reply to davenev:
Yep think we have the right to say no but now that a few free stamps appear to be on offer...........

In reply to davenev:

How else do you think the ONS collect data on all sorts of things?

It's obviously your prerogative to say no, but I view this kind of thing as my civic duty. I also use this kind of data on a daily basis in my job and know that academia, government and all sorts of other organisations would be utterly screwed without it. Just look at what happened in Canada under their last Prime Minister - he shut down all data collection (and gagged all civil servants and scientists) and then proceeded to royally f*ck the country up, but nobody had any data to prove it.
m0unt41n 13 Mar 2016
In reply to davenev:

Do you have to tell the truth to all questions?

On all web sites that insist that I put a date of birth where this is not essential I enter 1 April 1900 or the earliest year they accept. Google sends me a Happy Birthday on 1 April.

Weegie 14 Mar 2016
In reply to davenev:

We take part in their household assets survey every couple of years. Spend an hour so answering their questions and that's it. Think we were each given a £10 gift voucher for taking part last time.

As VoM said, they have to collect their data somewhere.

Tommy.
 Jon Read 14 Mar 2016
In reply to davenev:

I've taken part in this type of survey, and use the data routinely as part of my job (epidemiologist/academic).

A whole range of analysis can be done on this type of 'micro' survey data that benefits everyone.

As an example, my work involves developing better mathematical descriptions of social interactions and how society 'fits together'. We use this sort of information to make better predictive models of how things like pandemic flu will spread in the UK, and how best to tackle a pandemic before a vaccine is available (for e.g., where and when should we do school closures? ). My academic interest in the sort of household data that is collected only uses a small amount of the information collected (mostly how many people live together, and what sort of characteristics are there in the same household, such as age, sex and ethnicity) but is utterly crucial in getting the sums right. We can't infer this sort of information from other sources, despite what the enemies of the Census would have you believe.

Another example would be studies which can tell us whether a particular government initiative is working or how much it is harming people. They need this type of survey data, and to be as representative as possible. So even if you'e not affected by some of the issues for which questions have been designed to dig into, it's important to know what you think or experience to better represent the UK (or England, Scotland, etc, depending on your geographical bounding of choice).

So, your involvement is beneficial to a whole host of research that can be used to improve your communities welfare and health, even if your personal benefit seems intangible. Please do it, it is an important study and you will really be helping!
 tony 14 Mar 2016
In reply to victim of mathematics:

> How else do you think the ONS collect data on all sorts of things?

> It's obviously your prerogative to say no, but I view this kind of thing as my civic duty.

That's my feeling about these kinds of surveys. If we want governments of local authorities to take informed decisions, they need to have the best possible information and I'm happy to help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...