UKC

Photographing climbers you dont know

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LouiseMcMahon 14 Mar 2016
Ive been thinking of going up to stanage or burbage and just waking along the top snapping pictures of people climbing for practice.

Is their a accepted you must ask permission first or is it ok to beg forgiveness after? Im not looking to use them for commercial use and happy to let people have them if they want them.
 rogersavery 14 Mar 2016
In reply to LewisMcMahon:

You are in a public place - you can photograph what ever you want
 ianstevens 14 Mar 2016
In reply to rogersavery:

However, it's polite to ask and offer to send your pictures to the climbers IMO.
 Hawky 14 Mar 2016

Yeah i take lots of pics of climbers. Never had anyone moaning about it! I'm sure they would be happy to see themselves climbing from another climbers view. I would be anyway!
I'm always telling people to feel free to take pictures.

Jon Read 14 Mar 2016

I would always try to ask first, unless you stumble across something that looks too good to miss. However, some people don't enjoy being photographed, particularly if they on a hard (for them) lead. But it is relatively easy to be discrete, non-intrusive, and turn off that bloody focus beep and don't machine-gun it if you have a noisy shutter. Treat them like wildlife! Common courtesy to offer them to see the pics afterwards on the camera.

If I were you, I'd take a telephoto.
 deepsoup 14 Mar 2016
In reply to Jon Read:
> If I were you, I'd take a telephoto.

Or stay a safe distance away and use a drone.

planetmarshall 14 Mar 2016
In reply to Jon Read:

> ...Treat them like wildlife! Common courtesy to offer them to see the pics afterwards on the camera.

For mountain hares, just leave a note with your email address at the burrow entrance.

HeMa 14 Mar 2016
In reply to rogersavery:

> You are in a public place - you can photograph what ever you want
Ding ding...

However, I would not push on peoples face or get too close.

And if the pics seem rather nice. It's often common courtesy to afterwards give them a change to get the pics of them selves (provided you didn't shoot a kazillion persons that day). As in, "I was shooting pics and managed to get a decent one of you leading XXX, if you fancy I can email the pic to ya".
moffatross 14 Mar 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

> Or stay a safe distance away and use a drone.

>

And when you're not taking photos with your drone, you could fly it in to pick up their 'abandoned' swag.
 fred99 14 Mar 2016
In reply to rogersavery:

Of course, if you photograph anyone under 18 (whether you know them to be or not, and however accidentally) - then you must obtain permission from their Parent/Guardian in writing.
Otherwise you can expect to be investigated by the Child Abuse section of the Local Constabulary as they might believe that you're a nasty nasty person.
moffatross 14 Mar 2016
In reply to fred99:

This is misinformation. Schools and youth groups may have their own policies within private premises (playing grounds, theatres, school buildings etc) but it doesn't apply in public places. If it were true, it would pretty much preclude any photo journalism where crowds are involved wouldn't it ?
 Cheese Monkey 14 Mar 2016

Photos with handheld cameras ok. Noisy drones not ok
Removed User 14 Mar 2016
In reply to fred99:

This is incorrect. If you're in a public place you can photograph literally anything you want. The photography isn't in itself illegal and you don't require permission from anyone.
 Mike Highbury 14 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed User:
> This is incorrect. If you're in a public place you can photograph literally anything you want. The photography isn't in itself illegal and you don't require permission from anyone.

I rather suspect that he was taking the piss.

d_b 14 Mar 2016
In reply to moffatross:

This is why we need bigger drones - let the drone pick up the swag and carry off peoples rucsacs while you sit out of sight half a mile away.

It's the future of bag dipping.
 Wsdconst 15 Mar 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> This is why we need bigger drones - let the drone pick up the swag and carry off peoples rucsacs while you sit out of sight half a mile away.

> It's the future of bag dipping.

I like your idea, I'm off to the shed to build a massive drone.
abseil 16 Mar 2016
In reply to rogersavery:

Maybe, but photographing people in public is not just a question of what you can do legally - is it? Or am I wrong?

I don't think it's right to shove still cameras/ video cameras 1 inch from someone's face as they walk down the street, so I wouldn't do that.
ceri 16 Mar 2016
In reply to LewisMcMahon: I hate having my photo taken so it would really put me off if I noticed you! If you are close enough to be noticed it wouldn't do any harm to ask

moffatross 16 Mar 2016
In reply to abseil:

> Maybe, but photographing people in public is not just a question of what you can do legally - is it? Or am I wrong?

> I don't think it's right to shove still cameras/ video cameras 1 inch from someone's face as they walk down the street, so I wouldn't do that.

For 'street photography', or shots inside public buildings etc, I think it's always better to ask, and I have never been refused.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5803/21859143211_613b7d1b03_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5795/22167321113_f8bba584f5_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/751/22310075124_4330204798_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5776/23254974391_bbae3171ff_b.jpg

For sports photography (which includes climbing, skiing etc), I reckon we're all fair game for fellow snappers, and if you have to you ask, usually the interesting moment has already gone.
abseil 16 Mar 2016
In reply to moffatross:

> For 'street photography', or shots inside public buildings etc, I think it's always better to ask, and I have never been refused... For sports photography (which includes climbing, skiing etc), I reckon we're all fair game for fellow snappers, and if you have to you ask, usually the interesting moment has already gone.

Dead right, I think, couldn't agree more!
Thanks for posting the 4 photos - I enjoyed them.
 Sean Kelly 28 Mar 2016

I was really into street photography 50 years back when few people had SLR's, and certainly none objected to my photography. Indeed they would go out of their way to oblige. Recently there have been some problems, as when a guy asked me to delete my images of some teens abseiling at the Dewerstone. He was totally out of order and I just ignored his instruction. However most of the time if I am close enough to the climber, I will nearly always engage them in conversation and if I sense that they are getting a little stressed by it, an offer of a pic on the crux of their climb is a great sweetener. They nearly always ask to view it afterwards.
 Tom Last 28 Mar 2016
In reply to moffatross:

That first pic is great Moffatross.
moffatross 30 Mar 2016
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks. It's one of the fairground workers setting up a carousel at Whitesands in Dumfries. They were very obliging, and just let me get on with it after I asked the if it was OK. I was delighted with the other shots I got too but they were all a bit too 'gritty' for the local 'country' mag.

Mention of crowd shots made me think of this in Moffat High Street. The national press come up every year and take photos of the racers with their huge telephoto lenses but never really go for the human interest. This photo has been popular locally mainly because the very recognisable faces and their expressions tell part of the story, despite me not asking permission.

Faces ... https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1464/26135701955_b3ba6c2085_b.jpg

The reveal ... https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1720/26069687321_3191760eb6_h.jpg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...