UKC

Selling old car on ebay?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigBrother 14 Mar 2016
I have an old car I need to sell but have never sold a car before so I am a bit unsure on a couple of things.

It only cost £500 a year ago and has a few problems but it runs and passed the mot at the beginning of January so should be worth something but I don't want a lot of hassle or to squeeze every pound I can get out of it. I also need to insure my new car but don't want to incur too many charges for changing insurance policies.

I am not sure what to do about buyers wanting to test drive it and insurance. My insurance obviously wouldn't cover them anyway. Do people get one day insurance to cover test drives? I assume I should demand proof of insurance before I let them test it?

The other issue is what come back they have if it blows up a day after they buy it.

I did think of listing it as spares or repair but list it as running and moted but with a list of the issues.

Any advice?
 Cheese Monkey 14 Mar 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

Test drives allowed with proof of insurance and full asking price cash in your hand.

Sold as seen.

Babika 14 Mar 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

I think you may be over thinking this for £500.

Just let them see it running, lift up the bonnet, crawl underneath it, kick the tyres and look at the MOT certificate.
Most folk buying at this price want a legal runaround for a few months, they're unlikely to test drive it.
 jkarran 14 Mar 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

To be honest I've never been asked for a cash deposit or proof of insurance (I have 3rd party) when test driving a car. Cheesemonkey's suggestion is sensible but I'd not personally be bothered about the deposit on a £500 car. I'd just check they have a licence and enough insurance to be legal. You can probably keep it insured alongside your new car for a few weeks for minimal hassle while you sell it but you'll need to call your insurer to sort it.
jk
 NottsRich 14 Mar 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

> Test drives allowed with proof of insurance and full asking price cash in your hand.

> Sold as seen.

Sold as seen is not worth much any more.

If you buy a car from a garage you have rights if that car, for example, breaks down the next week.

Recently those same/similar rights have been extended to buying from private sellers too. Be careful.
 Queenie 14 Mar 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

I list the selling points (such as recently replaced parts or repairs) and then any known problems with the car. Being open and honest has helped me get my asking price, as buyers have had nothing unexpected to try and knock me down on and they feel more trust in buying.
 3leggeddog 14 Mar 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

With a low value car it is always worth checking scrap value. Take scrap value plus any do up to sell and advertising costs, include your time for valeting etc. You may find you are suffering 3 viewings at an hour a time for £50.
In reply to BigBrother:

When I sold my van on eBay it was with an honest and upfront appraisal of what I thought were the +ve and - ve. I drove the van with the buyer as passenger. He was fine with that.

I'd agree with the other advice about don't over think it. Guy who bought my van was more bothered as to whether it'd fit a motorbike in it (the van was going to be weekend transport to race tracks).
 Neil Williams 14 Mar 2016
In reply to NottsRich:

Do you have a reference for this to see precisely what rights are now given? If they are I doubt I would sell a car privately at all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...