UKC

What kit for a minimalist Hebridean sailing trip?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rigid Raider 15 Mar 2016
I'm not a sailor but in May, just after my 60th birthday, I've been invited to crew a 22 ft Swallow yacht through the Crinan canal and up to Oban, taking about a week to call in at a few bays along the south side of Islay and stop at Jura. Having at many times in my life stood on Scottish mountains gazing out at the sea and having also been given the very excellent "Scottish Islands" by Hamish Haswell-Smith, this is going to be the trip of a lifetime for me although my family have irreverently suggested it will be "two grumpy old men in a boat".

The Swallow boat is an inshore family day boat; this one has a small cabin and a full awning so we will be kipping in the boat most nights. Space will be tight and I'm going up to Helensburgh by train so I can't take more than a small rucsac of kit. Never having undertaken a trip like this, I'd appreciate kit suggestions. The owner/skipper will supply all the stuff like stove, fishing gear, bottle opener, food, water container, navigation equipment, outer clothing etc. so I'm taking a lightweight synthetic sleeping bag, basic hygiene stuff, paracetamol, spare shreddies and a couple of shirts, warm clothing, sunscreen, hats, eyewear, camera, phone, cash.

What else would people suggest?
 bouldery bits 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Windproof top - invaluable!

Board shorts - really useful.

Hope you're being provided with sailing gloves and deck boots. If not get some decent boots!

Have a great trip!
 climbwhenready 15 Mar 2016
I went on a 22 ft yacht on the broads last year (http://www.marthamboats.com/sailing-yachts-for-hire/jenny ) - I'm not a sailer but I imagine from a space perspective yours is something similar.

Truly don't underestimate how tight space will be - a small rucksack of stuff seems about right. Wellies or deck shoes better than walking boots.

It's a wet environment so don't assume you'll be able to dry things easily. Dry bag everything (and keep them closed) just in case, take spares of anything essential in case you get it wet. It will be a lot windier than on land. Sunglasses, because if it is actually sunny then the glare can be substantial. Bottle of good whisky. Binoculars. I'm sure lots more I can't think of right now.

You'll have a fantastic time!!
Post edited at 11:27
Rigid Raider 15 Mar 2016
I know about the cold; we tacked the length of Ullswater in a similar boat last year and I've never been so dammned cold in my life, even with full waterproof outer clothing on.

What are board shorts? What are deck boots? And would cheap sailing gloves from Decathlon do for a week? I bet they also sell dry bags.
Post edited at 11:47
 LittleRob 15 Mar 2016

Last time I was sailing up that way (Crinan up to Tobermory and back) it was very wet (well it is Scotland) so I would recommend waterproofs and gloves. Cold hands and rope work are not a good combination.

Also, a very small torch for trips to the pub. We moored at Puilladobhrain (Had to look that spelling up!) and walked to the Tigh an Truish pub at Clachan Bridge. After a couple (-ish) of pints we had the great game of trying to:

a) Find our dinghy
b) Find our yacht

On about the darkest night I've ever seen

Rob
 bouldery bits 15 Mar 2016

Board shorts are just surf shorts - a cheap pair from sportsdirect will do. They dry quick and are great for warm evenings / dashing to the toilet block when moored / sleeping in / swimming in.

Deck boots are proper grippy and usually neoprene specifically for being on the boat. A beefed up deck shoe.

I reckon cheapy gloves for a week will be fine.

inboard 15 Mar 2016
Head torch

Kitbag (better than rucksack as can be stowed/ rolled up more easily)

Gloves. Having sailed around Scotland and further north for nearly 40 years, I don't agree that sailing gloves are essential. However, I do think robust rubber gloves are excellent. Marigold industrial ones in particular. Get a size a wee bit too big and they'll be great with power stretch liners. I prefer to keep my hands warm and then use bare hands for rope work. Helming can be done with gloves on.

Take good warm hats (what you'd use for winter hillwalking)

Boots. Sailing specific rubber boots maybe useful, but on a 22" boat you won't have lots of deck work. You'll be fine with normal-soled rubber boots.

Sunscreen - you can burn easily off the west of Scotland.

Have fun! Those bays along the SE (distillery) coast of Islay are stunning anchorages - don't miss the Ardmore islands!
Post edited at 13:48

I have a pair of very old Musto fibre pile long johns which I have found are about the best thing for sailing, and they feel considerably less damp than the modern fleecy undergarment stuff after a few days on the water. So if you can get hold of some I'd recommend them. Comfortable sailing relies on staying warm and dry in a cold and wet environment when you're sitting on your arse lot, so thick fleeces, hats, fleecy comfy waterproof gloves and boots with thick socks are really nice to have. Also when it starts raining having a buff to soak up some of the water and stop wind going down your neck is nice
Sounds like an amazing trip!
 dan wisey 16 Mar 2016
I can't over emphasise the importance of some decent boots, something like the Gill cruising boot-oh and the whiskey!
 Mountain Llama 16 Mar 2016

I would ask the skipper what to take, they have done this thing before. So learn from them.
 Billy the fish 16 Mar 2016

Take much the same stuff as you'd have for camping, including a good torch. Your rucksac is a better choice than a larger or worse still a rigid case as you'll be able to stow it more easily. You'll be in sheltered waters but it's a good idea to bring some sea sickness tablets and a pocket full of crystallised ginger works well too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...