UKC

Technology project

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 15 Mar 2016

Hi,
my son (aged 6 1/2 and in P2) has to develop some working technology for homework. Now I have been wrecking my brain, so I came up with making a mini windmill generating electricity and I found loads of stuff on the internet. However, (bearing in mind we have to do it by next week) the components to this were quite expensive to buy as you need a wee generator etc. I found you could get a set from China for 2.84 on eBay, but alas the delivery times are four weeks and buying a set seems like cheating. Has anyone technically minded got a suggestion for some cheap technology you can make yourself, I am struggling....(never mind that the kids are supposed to do the homework themselves..... I fear, I am not an inventor....It could be any kind of technology. Preferably using stuff from recycling as I don't want to spend a fortune.

Post edited at 12:55
 Mark Collins 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

You could use any old motor in reverse. Stick some fins on it and read the terminals with a multimeter to prove it is generating electricity:
http://www.instructables.com/answers/Can-I-use-a-motor-to-make-a-generator/
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Mark Collins:
Ok, but where do I get a multimeter from (Ihave none) and and an old motor...? (Bear in mind I am pretty incompetent on that front

Post edited at 12:50
 kestrelspl 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

If you still fancy the sound of a generator this link should help http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Simple-Electric-Generator
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to kestrelspl:

This is far too complicated, I fear. He is supposed to do it himself and even if I am doing it mainly with him, this sounds difficult...for me
 jkarran 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:
How much help can he have and what sort of tools/skills do you (or other helpers) have?

A toy scale wind turbine is doable from cheap material with a little ingenuity (and realistically, a soldering iron).

Mobile phone based microscope-camera with a magnifier lens, torch and petri dish all lashed together using some tape and cardboard?

Lava lamp?

Tin-can and balloon Stirling engine? Google it, it's pretty cool and requires basically scissors and pliers tool wise. Edit: http://www.scraptopower.co.uk/can-stirling/the-30-minute-ltd-stirling-proje... a bit simpler than the tin can versions

Crystal radio? Easiest with a kit but basically a bog roll, some copper wire, a diode and an ear piece.

Lemon battery running a cheap digital watch or an LED? Wiki has details
jk
Post edited at 13:10
 Mikkel 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

Lego crane using electro magnet to lift Matchbox cars, i had great fun with this as a kid.
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to jkarran:

Realistically speaking, he can have all the help he wants as long as he is doing it with me. However, bear in mind I am totally incompetent, although I am enthusiastic ( I might have several degrees but they are all in literature and media ( but dare I say it I am more competent than my husband). For said reasons we have no soldering iron. So basically what I need is technology for dummies!! And I don't want to spend too much money...
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Mikkel:

We have got lots of Lego, but where and how do I get an electro-magnet from?
 Rob Parsons 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

> my son (aged 6 1/2 and in P2) has to develop some working technology for homework.

It sounds like a bullshit piece of homework.

> the kids are supposed to do the homework themselves...

If that's the case, let him get on with it - and just ignore other competitive parents who might be cooking up some super-duper stuff. He could make some 'working technology' out of sticks and rubber bands!
Post edited at 13:09
 Mikkel 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

i used a 10mm bolt with windings of wire around it.
I ran it off the powersupply from my lego train but guess you can run it off a battery as well.
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I tried that, but he had no ideas (surprise, surprise)....so I was trying to help him. (I agree it's totally over the top, but hey, what can you do...)
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Mikkel:

Ok, I'll look into that. Thanks
 jkarran 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

> We have got lots of Lego, but where and how do I get an electro-magnet from?

You make it with a steel nail or bolt and a couple of meters of magnet wire (internet/ebay).

Alternatively you could make paper which is simple messy, fun and one of the most important technologies ever.
jk
Post edited at 13:15
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to jkarran:

Hmmm, paper, I like that. Is that really a technology? I love paper and I know how to make it...
 jkarran 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

Paper is definitely a technology and combines well with another important one: printing which can be really simple and fun too.
jk
 Dandan 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

Plastic bottle solar bulb?
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-SOLAR-BOTTLE-BULB/?ALLSTEPS

I'm pretty confident you have all the bits you need in your house (you can substitute the corrugated iron for a bit of cardboard or something) plus it's a practical idea that has a real world value in poorer parts of the world.
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Interesting!!
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Dandan:

> Plastic bottle solar bulb?

> I'm pretty confident you have all the bits you need in your house (you can substitute the corrugated iron for a bit of cardboard or something) plus it's a practical idea that has a real world value in poorer parts of the world.

I love this. How simple and inventive! But how would you demonstrate this in a class room unless you have a dark room and sunshine (Bear in mind we live in Scotland....)
In reply to Heike:

Barometers are very easy to make. There are lots of 'recipes' on the internet so the best thing is just google 'make a barometer' and read a few and see which one is the best trade-off between effort and functionality for the things you have to hand.

It can be as easy as filling a 2 litre bottle with water, flipping it over and sticking the top in a bowl of water.
Removed User 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

Get him to make a cotton reel tank, or cotton reel steamroller. Really easy. Here is three examples. If you can't get a cotton reel then improvise (search yt for ideas of whatto use). He'll be able to make this himself, and it serves the purpose of being low tech, yet has motion.

youtube.com/watch?v=6DR8O2AXriY&

youtube.com/watch?v=18RLqLDTnu8&

youtube.com/watch?v=KEixuZrOsQ8&

EddInaBox 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

Maybe a pop-pop (or putt-putt) boat, it is a boat powered by a small candle or tea-light , you can use many things for the hull e.g. a block of wood cut into a vague boat shape, an old juice carton or a bottle. Depending on the tools you have you can make the engine from a length of copper tubing or an old drinks can or even an old asthma inhaler canister (make sure it is completely empty before drilling into it):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_pop_boat
http://rolywilliams.com/rew_hamburper.html
https://inlanding.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/the-amazing-pop-pop-boat/
youtube.com/watch?v=ggF-iwb_ENo&
youtube.com/watch?v=cFugK8V_Qqs&
 planetmarshall 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

> Hi,

> my son (aged 6 1/2 and in P2) has to develop some working technology for homework. Now I have been wrecking my brain, so I came up with making a mini windmill generating electricity...

That's pretty hardcore for P2. If I'd done that at that age I would have earned some serious wedgie mileage.

Model aeroplane with rubber-band powered propeller?
 wercat 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:
Appropriate technology at that age might be a working waterwheel. It's up to the teacher to provide a hosepipe to make it turn. Or a small model of a waterbucket/skin attached to a pole being counterbalanced by a rock a bit on the principle of a see-saw (so the people can easily lift it to shoulder height to move it from the source to whare it is needed.

A model of a winding mechanism (windlass) that would be turned by an ox to raise or lower weights? Come to think of it a model of a well with a winding handle and buchet.

Paper aircraft are technology and can work well!

I like the idea of electric motors from old toys but perhaps when you have had time to research it and show how when a little older.
Post edited at 18:01
 wercat 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:
Or a bridge?

ps you could post a picture of the model!
Post edited at 18:03
 markAut 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

Some fantastic ideas above, I like the paper one, and you could do potato prints on it for the whole story.

You could even have a go at making ink with some soot.

I think the the thought is what counts, so a simple thing with a big lesson is better than a half understood complex thing.

Spaghetti bridge? All about tension and compression.
Demonstrate moving a large object with rollers. -make a story about building stone henge or the pyramids.
Hovercraft with a baloon and some card. -extra points for sending it over land and water.

Google STEM projects for more ideas. (As it happens I hope to be trained to do STEM stuff next month)
In reply to Heike:
A wheel

A lever

A pulley

A balance scale

All basic, but essential pieces of technology, and also demontrate fundamental mechanical principles.

Water wheel was going to be my other suggestion. You could combine water wheel, windlass and pulley to build a crane... The water wheel and windlass effectively demonstrate the lever effect (force multiplier).

Or, on a climbing theme, a belay device, illustrating the capstan effect.

As kids, we used to make and race little wind carts, using the removable wheels of 'Hot Wheels' cars, a cocktail stick, a bit of plasticene, and a bit of paper. I probably invented them when I was about 8 or 9. I made a switch for a 'burglar alarm' for my bedroom when I was about six, soldering a strip of phophor-bronze to a scrap of circuit board, and connecting it to bell and battery...

I made a rubber-band car catapult with a little 5-yr old lad when staying with a family on my industrial year; rubber band, stapler and cornflakes packet. Simple, open box to hold car, with rubber bands at either side of a 'launcher' track with ramp. He played with it nonstop over the weekend... I rember explaining additive and subtractive colours to him, too, showing him the rgb dots on the TV, and sweet papers over a torch, and felt tip pens.

Potato prints are also excellent, and a lot of fun.
Post edited at 18:42
OP Heike 15 Mar 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Good god, you are clearly way more inventive than me Sounds all great, but frankly I will have to work my way through this/ up to it!!
 Strachan 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Mark Collins:

If you don't have a multimeter, an old motor connected to an LED should show electricity is being generated. Cheap and easy. (I made a wind turbine this way when I was in year 9 at school, and as I recall, it worked pretty well)
csambrook 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

Reading the replies above got me thinking...

Air powered rocket.
1.5 litre or 2 litre lemonade bottle, cork (good excuse to drink the wine, for you not him) cheap/simple bike pump and flexible adaptor (cheap from a bike shop). Make a hole in the cork for the adaptor to fit through snugly. Half fill bottle with water. Stuff cork in bottle. Invert and prop it up (I use the centre hole in our garden table - meant for a parasol). Pump like crazy. The air in the bottle will compress and store energy, at some point the pressure will force the cork out of the bottle. You will get wet. The bottle will fflllllllyyyyyyy.
Lots of science and technology: conservation of energy, energy storage, forces. Oh, and fun.

Hovercraft.
Expanded foam chip tray, expanded foam cup, small electric motor (from a toy or Maplin), propeller (from toy, internet or Maplin) battery box, wire. Cut the cup not-quite vertically (maybe 30degrees or so) to make an "air intake". Cut a large hole in the tray so that the half cup can sit on it and air flowing into the cup will be forced down through the hole, tape the two together like that. Tape motor with propeller to cup so that it pushes air into it. Firmly twist wires to motor and battery box to make connections. It amazes me how well this works on a very smooth surface.

Balloon car.
Fashion a car, body, axles, wheels from anything, Lego's good. Find a way to attach a balloon. Inflate balloon. Release.

OK, so my son spent a year working with Bloodhound SSC teaching STEM and the Air Rocket and Balloon Car were popular activities. The Air Rocket is great fun in the garden on a hot day. The car can go on to become rocket powered (very small rocket), in which case things get a little more "interesting".
 elsewhere 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Sticks and rubber bands - excellent idea - a catapult is working technology. No need for HIGH technology?

The may not like that but a model ballista from sticks tied together with string and powered by rubber bands would be fun in the classroom.
 elsewhere 16 Mar 2016
In reply to csambrook:
I saw something once about a US school competition where they put a measured amount of ethanol in a large soft drink bottle mounted on wheels. Shake the bottle and the ignite the fuel air mix to see which car went the furthest.

Rocket powered cars using fuel air explosions.

Fuel air explosive sounds like great fun but 2 litre bottle is 2 g of air so explosive mix of a few percent fuel will require maybe 0.1g ethanol.
 danw1310 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

you can make a generator with copper and a magnet, a quick google can show how! really easy and scientifically impressive!
 Route Adjuster 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

You could make your own battery out of vinegar, coins, thick paper and salt.
youtube.com/watch?v=rIdPfDHeROI&

Wire that up a simple LED to show that it's working. Nice and easy, very cheap and shows him what a battery is and does.
 jkarran 16 Mar 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

> Fuel air explosive sounds like great fun but 2 litre bottle is 2 g of air so explosive mix of a few percent fuel will require maybe 0.1g ethanol.

Unless you can set up a resonance replenishing the air supply with each pop. This might not be what's being proposed but it's quite possible to make a rudimentary pulse jet from a jam jar.
jk
 SenzuBean 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Heike:

Not sure if it's been suggested, but here's a really cool one:
http://www.ehow.com/how_12186568_build-homemade-radiometer.html

Basically it's a like a windmill, except instead of being powered by wind, it's powered by light.
 tony 16 Mar 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I tried to make one of those once. It was a miserable failure.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...