UKC

NEWS: "Hello, young man..." - A Tribute to Brian Cropper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Mar 2016
with thanks  to mr kelly, 3 kbPhil Kelly and Mick Ward have penned a poignant tribute to Brian Cropper, who sadly passed away last month. Brian's funeral is to be held this Friday (18th March) - the details are included at the end of the tribute.

"For those of us lucky enough to have been around a while and brought up on a diet of who did what, where and when, the name of Brian Cropper will probably be well known, even if the person himself wasn't."

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

Nice work Phil and Mick.
Although I never met Brian the name Cropper always was cropping up in the Mags in the 70s especially in Crags. Great to read the history of someone who lead a rich life. The Wedding Photo and the Jerry Peel photo were some of the classic images of that generation.
Thanks - Kipper
 Offwidth 16 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks Phil and Mick, a lovely tribute.
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks Phil and Mick for this tribute to Brian it brought back some very fond memories.
Cheers
Chris
 Gary Gibson 16 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:
Lovely tribute to a good friend, Hazel and me even went to his wedding. Last saw him at Stoney, photographing me on some new routes, surprise, surprise. Gone but never forgotten. Wish I could be at the funeral. Respect.
 jon 16 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

That's nice, chaps. I never met Brian, only came across him on here through comments on some of my photos. He always seemed a genuinely gentle man. I'm sure all of those of you who knew him will miss him.
 pneame 16 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

That's a perfect title - makes me miss him even more. And makes me wish I'd actually me him other than on here. His photo collection here always repaid a visit.

A lovely memorial article that brought a sad grin to my face.
Removed User 16 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Sad news and a nice tribute.
I first submitted some of my old photos to UKC Historical in 2008 and Brian was very complimentary and encouraged me to submit more. We had never met as I am some years older than Brian, climbed in a different circle and moved to Canada in 1974. However, when I was in Manchester in 2011 I got in touch with him and we had lunch in Altrincham along with a couple of others (link attached).
It was a very pleasant lunch and Brian came over as a really nice guy.

https://ukc2.com/t/185236.jpg
 Goucho 16 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Phil and Mick.

A lovely and appropriately tribute to a lovely man.

I'll take a few moments to remember him on Friday.

SteveSBlake 17 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

A really nice tribute, things like this cut through all the rubbish that often appears in the forums and make it worth hanging around UKC.

I never met Brian, but he was a big contributer to the climbing scene in my youth. I hope something constructive can be done with his photographic archive.

Regards,

Steve

lummox 17 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

What a great tribute. I love the picture of Beatnick.
 Mark Kemball 17 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Thank you for that, memories, memories.
 pneame 17 Mar 2016
 tutbury 17 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks guys for a lovely tribute. I never knew Brian but felt I really got to know him through his very special photographs and comments.
One of my biggest regrets is that I never bumped into him in the Chew Valley in the sixties.
 Co1in H 17 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News: I met Brian at the YHA in the very early seventies and climbed and camped with him and Jane a few times . My girl friend at the time was also called Jane.
In the photo Dinner May 1975 that is Janes car to the left and my orange Vango tent that they had borrowed. Purchased at the YHA of course.
He took me on Gimmer one time and was I psyched out, but Brian just cruised up, pausing to chat to folk that he knew on the surrounding routes.
I think that the only photo I have of him was taken at Hayfield campsite where we stayed a couple of nights, so it's good to see the others in the article.

Removed User 18 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks Peter, that is much better ! I tried to copy and paste the photo in my gallery but that is what came out. How did you do it ?
I also thought it might include the comments but not so. I guess at the moment my computer skills are about on par with my current climbing ability !

Removed User 18 Mar 2016
In reply to pneame:
I tried to add my comment here and failed , but now it lets me ! See later.
 pneame 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed Userboje:

Copy the UKC photo URL from the top of the browser window and then paste that, Or type the URL out!
On my browser if I just click there, it automatically selects the whole thing and you can then copy and paste it wherever you want (email, notes, etc)

I think Brian's particular gift, and why he called his pictures "snaps" was that he just recorded the moment and didn't mess around trying for the perfect line, the perfect composition, the perfect angle. He knew, probably instinctively, that if you did that, the moment would have passed and you might as well not bother.

I do hope his collection of moments sees the light of day - there are bound to be many gems.
shunty 18 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Nice tribute to a lovely, genuine man. I used to hang around the YHA and get odd bits of free gear, whilst flicking thru the new routes book. He was a magnet for introductions. He helped hook me up with Mark Savage who was in the shop who gave me some tips before I went to Mt Kenya. Sad to learn about his demise. I would hope something can be done with his photos and docs from that period as a record of that era in and around his frequented places. RIP Brian.
chris munsch 18 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:
As one of the 'not so great and good' who used to hang out in the YHA shop back in the day - this is very sad news. A truly lovely man, whose importance to the UK climbing scene cannot be overestimated. A great tribute too, thanks for taking me back 40 years!
 Mick Ward 19 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

When I answered the phone and heard a voice say " Hello young lady" I smiled and knew exactly who it was. If Michael (Mick Ward ) was out Brian and I would have a chat, usually about our cats. At one time he had 7 and it was clear that he got great pleasure and comfort from them. We would exchange stories about our pets and when my Siamese Tiko died he was very supportive. Of course  over the years he sadly lost some of his feline friends which caused him great sadness.
A kind, gentle man.
"God bless"
Michele
Very good write up Phil & Mick, Brian was certainly quite a character, didn't know him super well but I well remember his visits to the BMC office

tony howard 23 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC News:

So sad to hear about Brian. A good friend and "One of the lads", always fun to meet up with. Sorry we missed the funeral, only just heard about it as away in Jordan most of Feb-March. RIP Brian, you won't be forgotten.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...