UKC

Pike O stickle (or anything else)- dry enough this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 16 Mar 2016
Given the big thaw in the lakes, and the forecast for a few days of cloud with only light drizzle, do people think the south face of pike o stickle will be in any condition for scrambling on sunday?

I'm looking for something bordering scrambling and climbing so any other suggestions would be welcome. I'm guessing the langdale pikes are a good bet because they seem to be among the first to thaw.

I'm not expecting lovely clean rock I'm used to slightly miserable stuff, I just need something non-snowy and half dry.

Cheers
 Rog Wilko 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

I can see the Langdale Pikes from my house and there is no snow left.
OP Red Rover 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

thanks
In reply to Red Rover:

You might be alright. In my experience, with the exception of the odd line of drainage, the Langdale Pikes dry pretty quickly. I'd say it's definitely the place where you're most likely to find some dry-ish rock high up.
 John Kelly 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

Bone dry currently, forecast - no rain for langdale at least till Monday, fairly unusual that for march
OP Red Rover 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

Thanks everyone
 Rog Wilko 17 Mar 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

> Bone dry currently, forecast - no rain for langdale at least till Monday, fairly unusual that for march

Not wishing to pick an argument or anything - just in a spirit of amiable discussion - but the average precipitation in Ambleside (not quite Langdale, I know) for March is well below the averages for Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb.. Perhaps "fairly unusual that for Langdale" might be better!
 John Kelly 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Ambleside!!!, it's a bloody desert Rog.
( Good weather knowledge though, grudgingly)
Cheers John
Post edited at 22:26
 cas smerdon 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

> Given the big thaw in the lakes, and the forecast for a few days of cloud with only light drizzle, do people think the south face of pike o stickle will be in any condition for scrambling on sunday?

Warm and sunny up there yesterday. Climbing in T shirts
No rain forecast at the moment so go for it!

OP Red Rover 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

It was warm and sunny, and everything was clean and dry. If I'd have known how warm it would have been I'd have brought rock shoes and climbed on Gimmer which was also warm and dry, amazingly. Ended up doing a directissima from the valley up stickle pike, left of the lower gully and right of the upper one near the summit, ended up being a few pitches of diff with a vdiff accross the grey band.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...