UKC

Atrial fibrillation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gazfellows 16 Mar 2016

I've just been diagnosed with Atrial fibrillation all tho I have had it for around 9 years. Finally knowing what the problem is now and the fact that I know what I'm up against already feels like a weight has been lifted. My question is that I'm off to climb Mont Blanc in August which is really my first high altitude experience! Does anyone out there suffer the same ? If so it would be great to hear from you and the experience you've had with it..

Thanks

Gaz
Post edited at 21:03
OP gazfellows 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Peter Leeming:
Hi Pete. Yes sorry lol. That's the one !
Post edited at 21:27
 jon 16 Mar 2016
In reply to gazfellows:

Maybe more of a problem will be your medication for this. I was put on beta blockers and coumadine. The beta blockers just left me totally exhausted even at low altitude. Just walking was like wading through treacle... After some persuasion it was changed to a different medication which helped. I certainly wouldn't have been able to do Mont Blanc on bbs.
J1234 17 Mar 2016
In reply to gazfellows:

I took a Beta blocker, just one and suffered terribly with Reynauds type symptoms. You have not mentioned an ICD or Pacemaker but there is a Facebook group for Climbers with ICDs if this is a path you take.
 PATTISON Bill 17 Mar 2016
In reply to gazfellows:

What you may find is that your hands and feet suffer from the cold as a result of the Beta Blockers.Coped with them for 16 years now but you need to take care of your extremities.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...