UKC

Paul Daniels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 17 Mar 2016
Just died, aged 77. RIP
 DerwentDiluted 17 Mar 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Now that's tragic.
 ThunderCat 17 Mar 2016

Feel bad for mentioning this, but I had him on the office Celebrity Dead Pool, and I've just won £54.

Hat Dude 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Feel bad for mentioning this, but I had him on the office Celebrity Dead Pool, and I've just won £54.

That's not a lot
 Dandan 17 Mar 2016

"Debbie McGee, what first attracted you to millionaire Paul Daniels?"
 ThunderCat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Feel bad for mentioning this, but I had him on the office Celebrity Dead Pool, and I've just won £54.

Two dislikes?

I also had Stephen Hawking and Bruce Forsyth in my list...would you rather it was one of those two?
Rigid Raider 17 Mar 2016

There has been a wave of high-profile media deaths in the last year or so, my guess is that we are seeing the begining of the end of the first television generation of entertainers.
Jim C 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> There has been a wave of high-profile media deaths in the last year or so, my guess is that we are seeing the begining of the end of the first television generation of entertainers.

These people that have died were genuine presonalities, there is no second generation that I can see, in the world that everyone is famous (for 15mins or otherwise)

A lot of nonentities will die, and very few entertainers of the like you mean.

Roadrunner5 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> These people that have died were genuine presonalities, there is no second generation that I can see, in the world that everyone is famous (for 15mins or otherwise)

> A lot of nonentities will die, and very few entertainers of the like you mean.

That's just not true..

There are plenty. At the time you wouldn't have called Daniel's a great entertainer. Very much rose tinted view of the past generation.
 Dax H 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> There are plenty. At the time you wouldn't have called Daniel's a great entertainer. Very much rose tinted view of the past generation.

Good or bad the people that are going down now are all public figures that 40 somethings grew up with so we notice it far more that when our parent's entertainers passed.

mountainbagger 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Two dislikes?

I liked it. Not a lot, but I liked it.
 Babika 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

So how does it work? If someone had Cliff Michelmore do you share the pot?

Or do you have to dig around and find out who actually pegged it first rather than the public announcement?
 ThunderCat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Pretty simple really,

Everyone involved chipped in £3, and put forward five names.
One of those names had to be an outsider (someone not likely to pop their clogs)
You couldn't have a name already on the list
If one of your 5 names go first, you collect the pot

Had some really good submissions...people I thought had died already...Doris Day?

Someone thought Hugh Heffner was going soon as he'd recently sold the playboy mansion on the understanding he could live there until he died.

Bit morbid, but it passes the time...
 Toby_W 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I immediately tried to think of more modern entertainers who would fit the bill. I'm rather worried that the first thing that jumped into my head was Mr Tumble. I need to watch more grown up telly.

Toby

Roadrunner5 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Toby_W:
But he wasn't that highly rated at the time. He disappeared pretty quickly. Not to knock him, as a 36 year old I grew up watching his shows and quite liked them.

Plenty of entertainers manage to work well into their 60's even 70's like Bruce and Parkinson..

Ricky Gervais, James Cordon, Clarkson to mention three.

They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but neither was Paul Daniel's.. nor Bruce F..

I think people re-write history somewhat.
Post edited at 13:48
 Toby_W 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I think you're right although I don't think it's completely re-writing history more that entertainment has changed so much. We only had a few channels and he was on the national one.

I also had a mental block for a second (again I think because we have a huge choice now) and hoped you suggest a few.

Cheers

Toby
 Roadrunner5 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Toby_W:

True Saturday night was pretty much set with some entertainment show... casualty.. the news and then Match of the Day.

There wasn't much else to watch.
 blurty 17 Mar 2016

I never forgave him for crowing over Freddie Mercury's death - he was a homophobe I think.
 Roadrunner5 17 Mar 2016
In reply to blurty:

> I never forgave him for crowing over Freddie Mercury's death - he was a homophobe I think.

He was very right wing. Even made comments about Saville's accusers and made other unsavory comments.
 The New NickB 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I would have thought the first generation would have been people like Eric Morecambe and Tommy Cooper. I very distinctly remember both of them dying and it being a fairly big deal, even though I was a fairly young child at the time.
hikerpike 17 Mar 2016
There seems to be a post every day on this forum about some other minor celebrity( somewhat aging rockstar etc) who we have obviously never met or known who has just died.I get it and I don't get it.Okay it is sad.But is it important?.If it was my dad yes. but it's not.

It may be interesting but I don't suffer genuine loss or grief over it and the world still spins round without much major change.

I'm far from being a cold-hearted ***** as most people who know me would testify but I am not weeping uncontrollably because some minor/major celebrity who i've never personally met or known has just died.

Okat it is sad. Now what?

And it haas more or less zero impact on most people's lives apart from the immediate family.

Quit this nonsense....lol I did read about it. I just don't need to read about it everywhere, people who have obviously never met him saying...'so tragic' and so on
Post edited at 15:25
 ThunderCat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

> I'm far from being a cold-hearted ***** as most people who know me would testify but I am not weeping uncontrollably because some minor/major celebrity who i've never personally met or known has just died.

> Okat it is sad. Now what?

It won me £54, so I wasn't exactly weeping uncontrollably

ThunderCat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

> Quit this nonsense....lol I did read about it. I just don't need to read about it everywhere, people who have obviously never met him saying...'so tragic' and so on

I think the true sense of the "Now That's Tragic" comment may have gone over your head a little bit..

hikerpike 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I think the true sense of the "Now That's Tragic" comment may have gone over your head a little bit..

You're going to have to expand on that.
 Roadrunner5 17 Mar 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

You'll like this, not a lot, but you'll like it. I agree. He was old, lived a good life.. we should celebrate the lifes of the elderly not mourn their deaths. But yeah you may have missed the meaning of the Tragic comment..
 Roadrunner5 17 Mar 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

"Now that's Magic" was a catchphrase of his..
In reply to ThunderCat:
> I think the true sense of the "Now That's Tragic" comment may have gone over your head a little bit..

No, really, I'm quite inconsolable.

Not a lot.
Post edited at 15:36
hikerpike 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:
I just don't think it is that important. I've already encountered the story today.

RIP just sounds cheesy to me.Babies die every day and I hope they rest in peace.The word 'tragic' only has meaning if you know him.Otherwise it is nonsense.It has no impact on my life.

Things in perspective. My cat dying is most likely tragic but I don't have one.

Who really cares if he is dead other than the immediate family maybe?
There is more important shit going on personally or in the wider world to either vex or worry over.
Post edited at 15:42
 ThunderCat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

> The word 'tragic' only has meaning if you know him.Otherwise it is nonsense.It has no impact on my life.

Just to clarify, I think "Tragic" was only used as a nod to his catch-phrase...time to move on and focus on the fact that the lovely Debbie McGee is once again on the market (rubs hands greedily)

Lusk 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> the lovely Debbie McGee is once again on the market (rubs hands greedily)

Weirdo!!!
 ThunderCat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Heheh. I dimly recall her running a look-a-like agency at some point. Really bad look-a-likes, as well.
In reply to hikerpike:

SORRY WE MISSED YOU!

We tried to deliver your sense of humour today.

It has been left;

With a neighbour
In your wheelie bin
In your garden under a pile of irony *
Ferret 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

>...time to move on and focus on the fact that the lovely Debbie McGee is once again on the market (rubs hands greedily)

So Mr Thundercat what first attracted you to the (now somewhat aging I guess) millionaire Debbie McGee??
 toad 17 Mar 2016

This thread has taken a surprisingly gigglesome direction...
hikerpike 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

I thought this was a joke. You really are/
were serious.
Post edited at 16:09
OP FesteringSore 17 Mar 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

> I just don't think it is that important. I've already encountered the story today...
> There is more important shit going on personally or in the wider world to either vex or worry over.

Minus1. Think for a moment that he entertained many, many people and made them laugh. For that alone he will be missed by those who enjoyed his brand of entertainment. Anybody with any humanity who enjoyed his shows is bound to feel a twinge of sadness that his like will never be seen again. Think also that in the last few weeks of his life he raised much needed funds for others suffering cancer.
hikerpike 17 Mar 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
"Now that's tragic."

Not a lot.
Post edited at 16:14
OP FesteringSore 17 Mar 2016
In reply to toad:

> This thread has taken a surprisingly gigglesome direction...

I am sure Paul Daniels would have liked it.
J1234 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

"Debbie McGee, what first attracted you to £54 deadpool winning, Thundercat?"
 ThunderCat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to hikerpike:
> I thought this was a joke. You really are/

> were serious.

What, about the deadpool? Yup - snippet of the list below:

Tony Bennett
Gary Barlow
Mary Berry
Michael Douglas
Ricky Hatton
Sylvester Stallone
Bill Cosby
Dick Van Dyke
Johnny Vegas
Pete Doherty
Tom Cruise
Angela Lansbury
Gene Wilder
Mel Brooks
Roger Moore
Shia Labeouf
Fidel Castro
Justin Beeber (Celeb pop douche)
Kirk Douglas
Murray Walker
Prince Phillip
Betty White
Frankie Muniz
Hugh Hefner
Patrick Stewart
Zsa Zsa Gabor

I know there are some young'uns on there but the deal was you had to submit 5 people, 1 of which had to be an 'outsider'

Or maybe in the case of Bieber it was wishful thinking...
Post edited at 16:20
 ThunderCat 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Lenin:

> "Debbie McGee, what first attracted you to £54 deadpool winning, Thundercat?"

Babika 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Come on - Fidel Castro and Prince Philip must be cheating!
Surely they have to be, like, this side of 80 don't they?
 sbc_10 17 Mar 2016

Love him or hate him, I was always impressed by this 'trick' < feat of balance> from way back in 1985....

Watch from 10:57 ...... the Bunco Ladder ( or the Bosun's Ladder as I thought it was called)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zld01_the-paul-daniels-magic-show-s07e09...

Anybody tried this...??
 Yanis Nayu 17 Mar 2016

> I am sure Paul Daniels would have liked it.

He lived in the same village as a mate of mine a few years back. I seem to remember my mate saying he was a good bloke; friendly, good laugh, down to earth. RIP
 Wsdconst 17 Mar 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Now that's tragic.

High five man, high five .
 Foxache 17 Mar 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

> My cat dying is most likely tragic but I don't have one.

Oh no, did it run away? That's more tragic in some ways because you don't ever really get closure.

FactorXXX 17 Mar 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

My cat dying is most likely tragic but I don't have one.

Think you're getting confused now. That was Erwin Schrödinger, not Paul Daniels...
 Big Ger 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

I've got Kayne West in mine.

Just being optimistic.
andymac 17 Mar 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:
Not that I wish him any ill.i actually quite like him (just a minute while I put on my Kevlar helmet);

But I fear for Donald Trump.

The Secret Service must be on red alert .just like in ..
Post edited at 19:34
Lusk 17 Mar 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> My cat dying is most likely tragic but I don't have one.

> Think you're getting confused now. That was Erwin Schrödinger

Possibly ...
 sbc_10 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Possibly ...

Probably ...
 Roadrunner5 17 Mar 2016
In reply to andymac:
> Not that I wish him any ill.i actually quite like him (just a minute while I put on my Kevlar helmet);

> But I fear for Donald Trump.

> The Secret Service must be on red alert .just like in ..

I think it's quite likely.. (Well as of all goes.. Still a very low chance) If I was him I'd worry about a Mexican cartel
Post edited at 21:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...