UKC

ATMs at Gatwick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GridNorth 17 Mar 2016
Does anyone know if the ATMs at Gatwick give you the option to withdraw Euros. I would like to use my Halifax Clarify Master Card as it gives almost 10 Euros more per £200 than anything else.

Al
 Bob Hughes 17 Mar 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

Yes they do - or at least the ones in Gatwick train station do - but you'll get stung by the ATM's exchange rate from pounds to euros.
 Oujmik 17 Mar 2016
In reply to GridNorth:
I don't think that will work. I have the same card for the same reason but I wait until the destination where the 'native' currency of the machine is the one I want. I think if you use a travellex machine at Gatwick it will charge your card in GBP at the travellex exchange rate. To get the Halifax rate you need to make sure the card is charged in Euros
Post edited at 13:04
OP GridNorth 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Bob Hughes:

That's unfortunate. When I use it abroad there is no charge.

Al
 Oujmik 17 Mar 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

It's not a charge, see my post above
OP GridNorth 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Oujmik:
I would but I'm going to Sicily and I don't know if I can depend on the machines working. When I was last in Sardinia I had lots of issues. Charge, fee, interest whatever if I pay off the debt straight away it's essentially just a cash withdrawal in Euros.

Al
Post edited at 13:13
 Cú Chullain 17 Mar 2016
In reply to GridNorth:
They have US/Euro/£ ATMs but as it has been mentioned already you will get absolutely skinned on the exchange rate.

Put it this way, I was at Gatwick last week and needed 200 euros, the spot rate would have cost me £155, what they offered was 200 euro at a cost of £185. Basically anybody who uses airport based FX services need their head examined.
Post edited at 13:39
 Oujmik 17 Mar 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

The problem is it's not a cash withdrawal in euros unless you use a euro machine, if you use a Travellex machine it's exactly the same as withdrawing £200 cash and taking it to the desk to change for euros. For the same reason if you use the card to buy things abroad and you are given the choice to pay in GBP or EUR you should choose EUR or you'll pay the vendor's exchange rate and not the Halifax rate.
OP GridNorth 17 Mar 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

I was hoping that they were Euro machines i.e. as you would find abroad.

Thanks for the help. I am aware of these issues and looked into it before getting the Halifax card.

Al
 johncook 17 Mar 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

Use a debit card abroad, but only withdraw decent amounts, eg 200 Euro, then the local exchange rate plus your banks foreign exchange surcharge will still be better than getting euros in the UK. The airport machines give a lousy rate of exchange.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...