UKC

Cho-La Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 splat2million 17 Mar 2016
I'm going to Nepal in a few weeks to do some trekking and planning on crossing the ChoLa pass as part of my trek. I've read a bit about the Cho-La crossing online that makes it sound a bit challenging to find the way, so I am wondering if anyone can advise about route-finding?
Is there a guidebook or online info that anyone knows about that will be enough to find my way? I have a 1:50000 map which makes it look straightforward but fear this may not be enough.
Also, I know conditions are quire variable, but does it often require ropes for the glacier or is it safe enough unroped? I am travelling with a porter (who may know the way anyway) but not a guide.
 The Bantam 17 Mar 2016
In reply to splat2million:

Route finding in good weather wasn't too much of an issue - a pretty well trodden route. We didn't rope up, but then again it very much depends on the amount of snow and ice. I think you need to be kitted out to have to put crampons on but probably won't need them. If you are going in main trekking periods, then you will have some traffic to follow too.

Lovely pass though. Glorious view.
 robgixer 17 Mar 2016

Did it a few years ago. it was fairly straight forward. We reached the snowline at the top but there was a good track all the way. We didn't have a guide or porters and I'm sure the porter will know the way. Crossing the glacier doesn't really require a rope as its dry, its just pretty loose in places.
 BruceM 18 Mar 2016

Hi Splat

From 20:25 here shows crossing Cho La from the Khumbu towards Gokyo in December:
youtube.com/watch?v=cRKboyEINqo&

That might help give you some idea of possible conditions and the route. The route we took goes up a rocky/ablated-snow spur to the very LHS of the glacier, and basically hugs the LHS of the glacier all the way to the pass (ie. the "true-right" all the way in valley speak). If you stop/start that video you can kind-of see where we went.

We got all our info (for the entire trip) out of Jamie McGuinness's book "Trekking in the Everest Region". But we're also happy navigating out of anywhere. Had crampons and axe and used them here and about 5 days during our trip.

In that video on the descent there is a quick shot of two people holding hands descending the steep ice to Gokyo. No spikes or crampons. That was a "local" "guide"? taking somebody down. He slipped soon after and his client managed to stop him slipping down the slope. Was all a bit hair-raising to watch. The local guides were all saying, ahhh you could use crampons but you don't need them, do you! But you would never approach an iced up slope like that over here or the alps without crampons.

So be careful with your porter and any advice given locally.

Interestingly, at the same time the locals were saying Kongma La was closed because of snow. But we didn't find that pass as potentially treacherous as Cho La. Neither were a problem at all for us with axe and crampons of course.
OP splat2million 19 Mar 2016
In reply to BruceM:

Many thanks for all the advice. I'll have crampons and stuff anyway so will make sure my porter has some too and then we'll be good provided I can find the way or he knows the way!
I'll try and pick up the McGuinness book too (although partly because I just enjoy having lots of guidebooks).
David

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...