UKC

A new bouldering wall for the Holme Valley

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 carl dawson 17 Mar 2016
premier post photo
We are looking into creating a small bouldering wall for the Holme Valley/Colne Valley/South Huddersfield area. The goal is a community-driven, not-for-profit project aimed at bringing local climbers together (in what is a traditional climbers’ homeland) whilst providing a high quality training and indoor bouldering venue.

We already have some superb panels: the much loved and admired Bendcrete wall from the ‘old’ Huddersfield Sports Centre. We also have the mats and other bits and pieces.

What we now need is a) a good location b) support from sufficient local climbers to make it a worthwhile venture.

So, if you have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions or know of a suitable venue, don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Also, there will be an open meeting to share ideas, probably in 2 or 3 weeks time. Keep your ears open for this or check on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/holmevalleybouldering. And if you’re keen for this project to happen, make sure you mention it to your friends and acquaintances too.

Thanks
Carl and Ruth Dawson

photo: Rhian Cross on the actual panels
 veteye 17 Mar 2016
In reply to carl dawson:

Would it be reasonable to approach a school and do a joint venture thing with say Honley High School. (I presume that it has the same name, but it was originally Holme Valley Grammar School when I attended it)
Or are there any bits of old mills still left that haven't been turned into fancy housing?
(I live about a hundred miles away,but come back to Holmfirth Edge (Cliff to me) or Pule Hill etc
OP carl dawson 17 Mar 2016
In reply to veteye:

Thanks for the suggestions. We have thought about linking with local schools, though elsewhere I gather access hours for joint ventures has been a problem. We do like the idea of links with local communities though.

And yes, there still are some old mills here. And some small modern industrial units... we've started looking at a few locations.

Thanks for the feedback, and when we get this project off the ground, pop in and see us next time you're up here and it's raining at Cliff!
Removed User 21 Mar 2016
In reply to carl dawson:

Wash Pit Mill, Cartworth, Holmfirth has resently closed. For sale sign up. Might be worth an enquiry
OP carl dawson 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Thanks for the info. Will go and have a look tomorrow as I've also got some other units to visit. Will keep everyone posted.
 TCP 22 Mar 2016
In reply to carl dawson:
I'd be interested in the venue etc as I did a lot of my training on that bouldering wall about 20 years ago - Just started climbing again consistently, I should think Dale Holding would be interested too.

OP carl dawson 22 Mar 2016
Hi guys. The idea of getting all the Holme Valley/Huddersfield South boulderers, old and new, back together again is a worthy aim. Keep your eyes (and those of your mates) open for a suitable premise and let me know if you spot anywhere.
 TCP 22 Mar 2016
In reply to carl dawson:

I'll start asking - Dale and I thought John Dunne bought it and had it stashed somewhere. The new Hudds wall is V good for routes but a shocker for bouldering
 Roger Vickers 26 Mar 2016
In reply to carl dawson:

Hi Folks,

A not for profit community project is what we intended for Boulder Uk Twelve years ago.
Be careful and make sure you can get affordable insurance because we could only get it and make it viable by becoming a commercial entity. We try to keep it affordable and put all the profit's back into it. It's run for climbers by climbers it's not easy cause the running costs are high i.e Rent , Utilities, Wages, Tax, Health and Safety etc and all the other things which you would not believe you need mount up. Oh and in your survey be careful cause half the people who say they will use it won't. Good Luck .
OP carl dawson 26 Mar 2016
In reply to Roger Vickers:

Thanks Roger for the feedback. Yes it's certainly daunting but, we believe, a worthwhile venture. We'll take on board all your comments... very helpful.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...