UKC

Inverness - whats it like to live here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Vague I know, but whats it like in and around Inverness? Are there some good restaurants, cool bars. Does it have an old area (buildings)? Arty scene?

Also what climbing options are there? Any near(ish) bouldering/crags?

Great sounding job has appeared (currently near Lakes).
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

If you're willing to travel it's a great launchpad to a wide range of great crags - a lot of the longer trips to the north from where I am go via inverness.

Locally I've climbed at a few of the sport crags, Moy is pretty good at my sort of grades, but being honest the local climbing is limited - very compared to the lakes.

Lots of road cyclists about, Mountain biking in the region is pretty good.

You've a huge amount of top quality climbing within 2-3 hours however, cairngorms, lochaber, Skye, the far North crags.

Bouldering is limited - ruthven boulder very good, otherwise still have to travel.

If you like indoor walls... There's rumblings of a new one on the way, which is a great looking and very ambitious project (if that doesn't happen a less ambitious one will follow on quite quickly I think, as long as I can find the cash )- otherwise you're not going to be over inspired.

Can't comment on living in Inverness itself, but my experience of visiting is it's a nice town.
 tspoon1981 18 Mar 2016
There was another thread about moving to Inverness recently. It might have some useful information for you.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=636000
Post edited at 19:36
 ring ouzel 18 Mar 2016

Just buy everything you need before you come up here otherwise the robbing gits will sting you on delivery charges!! Seething!!!

Apart from that living here is fantastic. Fabulous countryside, lots to do on the walking, climbing, biking front. Great wildlife and a good place to bring up kids. Some lovely restaurants. I have a 4 year old daughter so cool bars are a thing of the past for me! The art scene is flourishing, lots of writers and artists in this area.
In reply to ring ouzel:

Thanks all, very useful
 ring ouzel 18 Mar 2016

You live in Dolphinholme Simon? Near Lancaster? I used to know someone that lived in an old mill building (I think) there.
In reply to ring ouzel:

Indeed, I tried to email (intrigued by vague link!) you but you have blocked messages!
 Jim Fraser 18 Mar 2016

Get lost, the lot of you. Too many here already. No giving away any more secrets.
 Steve Perry 18 Mar 2016

Search through the forums, there was quite an extensive thread on this not long ago.
 BelleVedere 18 Mar 2016

everyone i know who lives here is quietly smug about living here. It's nice, the people are nice and it's about an hour from; cairngorms, ullapool, torridon etc...

i fracking love living in inverness.
 ring ouzel 19 Mar 2016

Thanks for the reminder Simon, I must change my email contact. Will do that now!!
Removed User 19 Mar 2016

It would rank as my "best place to live in the UK" #1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...