UKC

Best Multi pitch sport climbing destinations (worldwide)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Crag_chimp_uno 19 Mar 2016
Hello,

Where do people think is the best destination for multipitch sport climbing in the world?

Planning my next big trip.....

B
 Pok 21 Mar 2016
In reply to Crag_chimp_uno:

Tonsai!

It may not have an abundance of multipitch, but the ones it does have are spectacular, and besides- with the heat you feel pretty worked after the first pitch anyway.

El Chorro has some amazing climbing, nice and long, and fairly close to home.

And I'll mention Arapiles, because it's as close to sport as you can get while still being trad- Wiggle your harness at the wall and something is bound to stick in!
 AJM 21 Mar 2016
Places I've been:
Verdon
Wendenstock (although more "bolted" than "sport")
Riglos

Places I'd want to go:
Madagascar
Taghia
Post edited at 16:26
 1poundSOCKS 21 Mar 2016

Verdon. More adventurous than typical single-pitch, but most I've been on in Europe is like that.
 nniff 21 Mar 2016

Verdon. There's a life's work there
 rpc 21 Mar 2016

El Potrero Chico in Mexico should be mentioned - "resort type climbing" (sunshine, easy approaches, cheap living/booze) like Thailand but with stuff up to 20 pitches in length.
 Elsier 21 Mar 2016

Paklenica in Croatia, Corsica and Sardinia are all places I would recommend very highly for multi pitch sport climbing
 alpinist63 22 Mar 2016

Verdon
Paklenica
Red Rocks Nevada
Riglos
and the Dolomites, though a bit more 'alpine'
 tjekel 22 Mar 2016

add Sanetsch, Switzerland, Arco ....
 Jon Stewart 22 Mar 2016

Riglos is amazing. Not sure it would make a brilliant 'big trip' - but for a few days it's absolutely superb. Very convenient, great/cheap accommodation at the refugio, well-bolted, fantastic climbing on spectacular towers.

Can't speak for the rest of the world, but Riglos is a must-visit destination. Verdon is next on my list for this kind of thing.
 jwi 24 Mar 2016

Taghia in Morocco and Verdon in France. Nowhere else I've been to come even close to those two.

Hi there.

Wouldn't argue with any of the suggested venues already made by others (of those which I have visited)

Excellent multi pitch imo also at following Spanish venues:

Penon de Ifach
Puig Campana (a bit of extra gear often needed)
Montanejos
Vila Nove de Meia
Leyva

In France:
Ariege
Buis Le Baronnies
Dentelles
Calanques

In Italy:
Finale
 1234None 27 Mar 2016

Tonsai and Railay must take some beating - big, steep, exposed multi-pitch adventures are what Thailand does best in my opinion. Swinging around in a 3d world of stalacites and tufas 5 or 6 pitches up above the sea or jungle is just great.

Potrero Chico in Mexico is also good, but generally less steep and lower quality rock from what I experienced. Great atmospher though, especially if camping at la Posada or somewhere similar.
In reply to 1234None:

Would love to see someone's Potrero Chico holiday snaps if anyone's got a Flickr album floating about?

Always wanted to go!
 1234None 27 Mar 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Think we got plenty of good shots but don't do flickr. Cool location at Potrero. The posada campsite is a fun place to hang out between climbs and on rest days. Nice pool and camping spots under orange and lemon groves. Superb market in Hidalgo too. Whenever we walked into town all the locals would slow down, wind down their car windows and offer a lift or say hi. Oh...and the climbing is pretty good too. The highlight for me was the outrage wall as some of the other cragS were a bit slabby for my liking.

1234None 27 Mar 2016
 LeeWood 27 Mar 2016

Cavallers granite for mixed trad in the heat of a spanish summer
 rpc 27 Mar 2016

Here's our EPC blog...we like multi-pitch & can't climb hard (<5.11-):
http://chossclimbers.com/testing/mexico/
In reply to rpc:

Fantastic resource, thanks

What would you say the minimum sport grade would have to be to really get much done?
 rpc 28 Mar 2016

I think 5.10b/c will allow you to do many long classics. Also, ratings seem friendly, bolting is tight. Feel free to get in touch if you want more details on the place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...