UKC

Expansion bolts for climbing holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 radddogg 21 Mar 2016

I want to attach some climbing holds to my back wall but not sure how to go about it. Do I need something like this? https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/rawlplug-m1025-countersunk-s...

Or is there a simpler solution? M10 rawl plug?

And where can I get some hangers from. Online seems to through up foreign imports only except one extortionate entry on needlesports.
Post edited at 23:13
 stuartholmes 22 Mar 2016
In reply to radddogg:

Try Holdz they sell them at reasonable price.
 pec 22 Mar 2016
In reply to radddogg:

Perhaps a suitable diameter/length of this sort of thing would be suitable
http://www.toolstation.com/search?searchstr=85676%2092618%2025314%2084016%2...
 stp 23 Mar 2016
In reply to radddogg:

Some kind of cement would be the easiest solution and better for small holds. You can also craft holds directly from the cement. Probably a bit more difficult to remove though.
Bogwalloper 23 Mar 2016
In reply to pec:
> Perhaps a suitable diameter/length of this sort of thing would be suitable

I have used standard through bolts in the past as I always have a few lying around from new routing. You just have to make sure that the diameter of the recessed hole in the hold is big enough for the nut and a socket to tighten it up. (and ideally a washer.)
You also need to be careful when tapping the bolt into the hole to make sure you get the length 100% correct so that as the through bolt tightens it doesn't draw out too far so there are some threads sticking out of the hold.

Wally
Post edited at 11:32
 jkarran 23 Mar 2016
In reply to radddogg:

> I want to attach some climbing holds to my back wall but not sure how to go about it. Do I need something like this? https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/rawlplug-m1025-countersunk-s...

Yeah, something like that though bolting plastic holds direct to brick work isn't a great plan, there's a good chance they'll spin or crack without a rubber backing.

An alternative would be glue in M10 female inserts. Easy enough to make your own from cheap threaded rod joiners but there are no doubt commercially available options too.
jk
 jimtitt 23 Mar 2016
In reply to jkarran:

> Yeah, something like that though bolting plastic holds direct to brick work isn't a great plan, there's a good chance they'll spin or crack without a rubber backing.

> An alternative would be glue in M10 female inserts. Easy enough to make your own from cheap threaded rod joiners but there are no doubt commercially available options too.

> jk

We use commercially available glue-in inserts at my local wall but it is in hard concrete so gets the numbers. In a brick wall the best way (I´ve made these for a sandstone quarry) is M10 rod joiners with a suitable length of threaded bar welded in the back, drill a stepped hole and glue the things in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...