UKC

Refugees save Neo Nazi after car crash

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trevers 23 Mar 2016
In reply to marsbar:

I saw this, it deserves to be more widely circulated.
Gone for good 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Trevers:

Why?
Yesterday a maintenance tech fell off a ladder at work hurting his hip and elbow in the process- quite badly.
I rushed to his aid and after a quick assessment called an ambulance, he was in a lot of pain.
Now he may or may not have been a neo nazi but it wouldnt have affected my response in any way if I knew his political affiliations. He was happy to recieve the aid, I was happy to give it. Im sure the people in this reported incident felt the same.
Its not exactly earth shattering news is it.
 Ridge 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

Good point, I assume the neo-nazi didn't have a big flashing sign identifying him as such? This doesn't detract from the good work done by the two refugees in any way, but there's no evidence they knew he was a neo-nazi when they helped him.
Removed User 23 Mar 2016
In reply to marsbar:

And the next headline will be, 'Beardy terrorist savages attempt to rob crash victim but realise they will probably get caught and decide to hold out for benefits instead until they blow themselves up. And marry your daughter.'
 Ridge 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Is the marriage post martyrdom?

In reply to Removed User:

I don't think even the Sun writers could come up with that headline. Or maybe they could?
 WildCamper 23 Mar 2016

I doubt it, too many syllables! Lol
 DerwentDiluted 23 Mar 2016
In reply to marsbar:

This story is an excellent example of the power of a narrative and the ease with which that narrative can be exposed as a facile construct.

The neo Nazi politician was not conforming to the prescribed role of strutting obnoxious xenophobe, but due to circumstance was forced into the role of distressed, vulnerable human.

The Syrians were not conforming to the prescribed role of Euro-burden, cash seeking possible terrorist-sexual harrasser, but were shown to be human beings responding as many other human beings would, indeed, being a migrant does not preclude them also being Doctors, Nurses or simply just decent people.

The twist is this juxtaposition of role and expectation, but that expectation only exists because the prevailing narrative is to see the designated stereotype, not the human.
Lusk 23 Mar 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

If I knew what that meant, I could Like or Dislike it
Removed User 23 Mar 2016

Agreed, but perhaps if you used coarser language, threw in a few 'you knows' and replace phrases such as 'facile construct' with something like 'load of pish' you might get a few more likes on this forum.
 DerwentDiluted 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Just musing, but trying to be brief, on perceptions, labelling of entire groups of people, prejudice and expectations. On how the media feeds a simplistic and populist narrative that has no room for nuance or complexity, and how it acts with astonishment and /or amusement when these become evident. Feel free to dislike away, that's what the button is for.

Eloquent prose. Have a like!
 Trevers 23 Mar 2016

> Why?

> Yesterday a maintenance tech fell off a ladder at work hurting his hip and elbow in the process- quite badly.

> I rushed to his aid and after a quick assessment called an ambulance, he was in a lot of pain.

> Now he may or may not have been a neo nazi but it wouldnt have affected my response in any way if I knew his political affiliations. He was happy to recieve the aid, I was happy to give it. Im sure the people in this reported incident felt the same.

> Its not exactly earth shattering news is it.

Well done, but I'm guessing you're not widely stigmatised or blamed for a lot of society's problems?
OP marsbar 23 Mar 2016
My point is to challenge that view.
Post edited at 18:59
In reply to Trevers:

> Well done, but I'm guessing you're not widely stigmatised or blamed for a lot of society's problems?

My question is why does it deserve to be more widely circulated. It's a non story with a couple of stereotypes thrown in. I doubt the people involved would welcome the unwarranted attention anyway.
The other point I was trying to make was that, on the whole people will go to the aid of those that need it and won't stop to ask what religion they follow or what political persuasion they are. They will just get on with it.
 krikoman 23 Mar 2016

> Why?

for the irony value, if nothing else.

He could have stuck to his principles and told them to f*ck off back to Syria, but that was never going to happen was it?
 Ridge 23 Mar 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> for the irony value, if nothing else.

have a 'like' for that.
In reply to krikoman:

> for the irony value, if nothing else.

> He could have stuck to his principles and told them to f*ck off back to Syria, but that was never going to happen was it?

No it wasn't because people will take help in whatever form it comes.
And that's why racism is such a crock of shit because when push comes to shove people's skin colour or ethnic background doesn't matter even to those who protest against it.
 krikoman 24 Mar 2016

> No it wasn't because people will take help in whatever form it comes.

Of course they will, unless they stick to their convictions, which him being a neo nazi, one might have thought he could must the courage to do that. Jehovah Witnesses will sometimes still to their delusional guns, he could have done the same.

And of course it was funny, if not for him being hurt, but how's he going to go to the next, "let's get rid of immigrants" rally in front of all his friends.

The idea that racism is a crock of shite, is great and I wholly agree, obviously he didn't. Maybe he's changed his mind now, I hope so.

I suspect he'll have tricked to stupid refugees into helping him, the f*cking idiots.
 krikoman 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Trevers:

> Well done, but I'm guessing you're not widely stigmatised or blamed for a lot of society's problems?

That's very presumptuous of you!
 wbo 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Gone for good: well certainly the neonazi will not relish the attention as he has been rescued by the charitable act of people he thinks should not be in the country, are theiving , rapists and an inferior race (his opinions). Instead they are normal, decent people

Offwidth 24 Mar 2016

Spot on. The site needs more like you.
 krikoman 24 Mar 2016
> This story is an excellent example of the power of a narrative and the ease with which that narrative can be exposed as a facile construct.

> The neo Nazi politician was not conforming to the prescribed role of strutting obnoxious xenophobe, but due to circumstance was forced into the role of distressed, vulnerable human.

> The Syrians were not conforming to the prescribed role of Euro-burden, cash seeking possible terrorist-sexual harrasser, but were shown to be human beings responding as many other human beings would, indeed, being a migrant does not preclude them also being Doctors, Nurses or simply just decent people.

> The twist is this juxtaposition of role and expectation, but that expectation only exists because the prevailing narrative is to see the designated stereotype, not the human.

It's not as funny when you put it like that. You're comedy writing needs a little more work.

Timing is everything, there's also delivery of course, but timing is nearly everything.

Getting hit over the head with a frying pan isn't funny, oh, no wait youtube.com/watch?v=wJqOwyA9iqY&
Post edited at 10:20
 pec 24 Mar 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> He could have stuck to his principles and told them to f*ck off back to Syria, but that was never going to happen was it? >

. . . or perhaps he was unconscious or too dazed to know what was really going on?
and he's German so he'd have said "f*ck off tilbake til Syria* anyway

On a broader note, if I saw a migrant drowning at sea I'd throw them a lifebelt (or whatever was appropriate in the circumstances) because I'm a normal human being. That doesn't mean I think we should allow limitless numbers of migrants from anywhere in the world to come here regardless of their circumstances just because they want to.
This story has no bearing on anything.

krikoman 24 Mar 2016
In reply to pec:

> . . . or perhaps he was unconscious or too dazed to know what was really going on?

Sadly there is no evidance for this or otherwise, so we'll never know if he'd have stuck to his principles, if he could have.

> and he's German so he'd have said "f*ck off tilbake til Syria* anyway

> On a broader note, if I saw a migrant drowning at sea I'd throw them a lifebelt (or whatever was appropriate in the circumstances) because I'm a normal human being.

Is a neo-Nazi a normal human being? You'll be calling Islamic terrorist "normal human" beings next, what has the world come to?
 pec 24 Mar 2016
In reply to krikoman:
> Is a neo-Nazi a normal human being? You'll be calling Islamic terrorist "normal human" beings next, what has the world come to? >

If you re-read my post you'll see I said that I am a normal human being, how do you extrapolate from that that I think neo Nazis are normal human beings?

My point which seems to have escaped you is that how we react to the suffering of other human beings right in front of us is largely unconnected with any political views we may hold and as such it is folly to decide policy on the basis of a few random acts of kindness which defy our preconceptions.

Acts like these tell us about the individuals concerned, they aren't the sort of things upon which we should base policy decisions :
http://listverse.com/2015/04/12/10-acts-of-kindness-from-those-on-the-wrong...
Post edited at 12:34
 krikoman 24 Mar 2016
In reply to pec:

You were right I had miss read and misunderstood.

> Acts like these tell us about the individuals concerned, they aren't the sort of things upon which we should base policy decisions :

Ah ha, I see you were looking at it from the point of view of the refugees and their willingness to help, and presumably because they had help we should let them all in, which you don't agree with (policy decisions and all that).

I wasn't suggesting we let them all in because they'd helped someone who hates them, but I don't think anyone else was suggesting that either. Though I do think we should help them, because it's the right thing to do!

I just thought it was funny that some Neo Nazi got helped by the people he hates.
OP marsbar 25 Mar 2016
In reply to pec:

I also found it funny in a way. I certainly don't think it is a basis for policy one way or the other, but I don't think it should be ignored either when some people are trying to make people scared of immigrants and refugees.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...