UKC

Where are you off to for Easter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 23 Mar 2016
Me, I'm making the big drive to Cornwall for, sadly, what looks like an indifferent weather forecast and lots of time dodging the showers and trying to make sure the tent stays up in the wind!

But I have the lovely new CC guidebook and I might try a few of the less well known venues so I'm excited to get out on the rock.

How about you? Please don't all say Hot Rock.....
 planetmarshall 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Stanage. Working on the assumption that everyone else will think that everyone's going to Stanage, and will therefore avoid it, leaving the entire crag deserted.
OP Babika 23 Mar 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

I've just spotted the flaw in this cunning plan....
In reply to planetmarshall:

That made me chuckle!
 SenzuBean 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:
Off to Beinn Eighe on Friday, sit out the rain on Saturday, then maybe Fionn Bheinn on Sunday. Glen Shiel for 2 days doing parts of the North and South ridge on each day, rest day on Skye to imagine the views that won't be visible, then back to Achnasheen for another 2 days on the hill staying at a bothy one night.
Really looking forward to it, and hoping my partner enjoys her first taste of Scotland. Also if anyone reading this has been up anywhere in that area in the last few days and can advise on the snow conditions that would be great. (we will of course have crampons and ice axes, but knowing what the snow is doing will inform my route choices).
Post edited at 11:33
 GrahamD 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Cornwall, but we can be smug about being in a Static caravan Friday looks not too bad but the rest of it looks very mixed. And windy. Hint if you haven't been before - take good note of the wind direction and plan crag choice accordingly. If you end up coming to the same conclusion as we do maybe see you there.
 nniff 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Was going to go to Scotland. Not now.
Was going to go to Cornwall. Not now.
Was going to go to Gogarth. Not now.
Was going to go to Pembroke. Not now.
Settled for a day trip to Wintour's Leap on Friday. Again. Could be worse. It could be raining....
 TomGB 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

up to Feshibridge near Aviemore in the Mill Cottage hut. Rain is to be glared at until it withers away in embarassment.
In reply to Babika:

Northern Caingroms Monday - Friday then Beris the weekend after. School holidays are sick :P
 aln 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

No climbing, working Friday and Saturday 😦But on Sunday I'm going on a date, 25 years since the last one!
 Offwidth 23 Mar 2016
In reply to nniff:
Was going to Font not now. Was considering Cornwall or Scotland or Pembroke or North Wales, probably not now. Flight prices are too high and disruptions likely. UK accomodation has an Easter premium, it's not looking like good tent weather. Might climb local in the weather windows and catch up with family and friends. I feel sorry for those who don't get more opportunities to escape outside bank holidays.
Post edited at 12:28
 ebdon 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

I did have an epic weekend of trad planned in Pembroke or n wales but due to crappy weather will probably just stay local.
James Jackson 23 Mar 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> Also if anyone reading this has been up anywhere in that area in the last few days and can advise on the snow conditions that would be great. (we will of course have crampons and ice axes, but knowing what the snow is doing will inform my route choices).

Snow level is around 650 - 700m, thawing fast on W through S faces. N / NE faces holding a fair amount of snow. The pack is currently stable, but warm and wet this weekend might make for wet slab slides. Cornice collapse is also going on. Snow is icy and firm in the mornings, and staying that way overnight. Remaining firm in the shade.

I'd be prepared for everything! Last weekend I covered everything including grassy spring walking, icy ridge traversing (definitely crampons and axe territory!), thigh-deep slush-bashing and lovely dry hot rock, all on one ascent. Perfect spring!
 joe.wahab 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Was hoping to get down to Swanage at some point soon, whether that be this weekend or over the next few weeks. Been way too long since I've been there. Shame the weather is deteriorating...
 Dandan 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

I'm off to sacrifice some skin on the pockety altar of rock that is Margalef for 12 days, can't wait!
 bouldery bits 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

I'm staying local in the Lakes.

On an unrelated point the Lakes are terrible and full of poisonous bears and the weather is awful and it's all chossy rubbish so go somewhere else.

Thanks.
Gone for good 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Heading to Spain for a Week with the kids. (10 & 14)

Fly to Malaga Monday morning - base camp in Marbella
Tuesday - El Chorro doing top rope stuff
Wednesday Thursday - Granada and Palace of Alhambras
Friday - Beach/relax
Saturday Beach maybe try and get to Gibralter
Sunday fly home.

ebdon 23 Mar 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

well your certainly right on the second point!
In reply to Babika:

The weather looks ok for Cornwall on Friday, possibly a little more exciting than you'd like it on Saturday and mixed thereafter. A north coast weekend I'd imagine, with Saturday spent taking photographs of breaking waves and meandering round the ice cream, pasty and art shops of St Ives.

Me? I'm going to the pub...

T.
 SenzuBean 23 Mar 2016
In reply to James Jackson:

> Snow level is around 650 - 700m, thawing fast on W through S faces. N / NE faces holding a fair amount of snow. The pack is currently stable, but warm and wet this weekend might make for wet slab slides. Cornice collapse is also going on. Snow is icy and firm in the mornings, and staying that way overnight. Remaining firm in the shade.

> I'd be prepared for everything! Last weekend I covered everything including grassy spring walking, icy ridge traversing (definitely crampons and axe territory!), thigh-deep slush-bashing and lovely dry hot rock, all on one ascent. Perfect spring!

Brilliant reply! Exactly what I wanted to know. I was worrying about cornice collapse on some of my routes (specifically the approach to Beinn Eighe - looks like we'll need to get up even earlier to get on top before the snow softens).
 DannyC 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Tempted by Caithness sea cliffs, which look grey but dry all long weekend. Just a bit worried it might be freezing. Hmm.
 olddirtydoggy 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Work
Good news is I've just had 3 epic days in the langdales.
 stp 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Off to Awesome Walls for the weekend. Forecast is dry the whole time.
OP Babika 23 Mar 2016
In reply to aln:

> No climbing, working Friday and Saturday 😦But on Sunday I'm going on a date, 25 years since the last one!

Brilliant!
You'll probably have the best fun of all of us - good luck
 Wsdconst 23 Mar 2016
In reply to aln:

> No climbing, working Friday and Saturday 😦But on Sunday I'm going on a date, 25 years since the last one!

Good luck, remember your manners, and don't forget to tell her/him they look nice too.
 Wsdconst 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Was going to go to llanberis but probably not now.
 aln 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

Thanks guys I'm always good mannered.
 LastBoyScout 23 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

2-year old and few-day-old precludes going any further than local Easter egg hunt and P-i-L's for dinner.

With luck, I might get new handlebars fitted on commuter and race bikes when the kids are napping.
 pebblespanker 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Scottish East coast for either sport in the Angus quarries or Aberdeen sea-cliff trad on Friday, the tides are OK and we even have some sun forecast for tomorrow before the deluge arrives from the west. Only saving grace is that for the first time in 5-6 years I have not booked either this week or next as A/L
 gribble 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Had a night at Froggatt on Tuesday, then family visiting over the weekend. The rest of the time will be working, which is great! Having left safe real work, I've started private practice and have sooo many appointments over the next 9 days. I've only just launched my business, and it looks like it's taking off nicely. And I'm sure I'll get some local climbing done too (weather permitting). Never been so happy to be working over a holiday period!
 Doug 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

just arrived in the Jura for some XC skiiing, great weather forthe drive, forecast for tommorow a bit grim
 fmck 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:
I ran through glen Sannox and Rosa, Isle of Arran this morning. I met one person near the saddle. Not a tent to be seen until the campsite and only three there. I can't remember a Easter weekend so quite and it was beautiful sunshine all the way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...