UKC

The XC - anyone climbed there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hms 24 Mar 2016
We're on holiday in the area and wondered if The XC near Hemel Hempstead was any good. I can't find comments on it on UKC and the Facebook page is very skate orientated, so did wonder whether is was a reasonable climbing venue with good setting or if this was just a minor part with elderly routes that weren't up to much. All comments gratefully received!
KevinD 24 Mar 2016
In reply to hms:

Know a couple of people who climb there and its not supposed to be bad but nothing spectacular.
Personally I would be thinking of heading into London instead.
In reply to hms:

It COLD! not that bothers but just so you know
The holidays can be a problem if you dont like screaming kids that lurk behind you just as you step back.
They play muzack that is to loud
Its not cheep, but BMC % was is offered
thats what I can say, I can also add that I am not a wall person and have very little to compare it with.
I did go to Milton keynes, and the routes were much more consistent throughout there length, I have found XC are not.
much of XC is overhanging to
 SimonisD 30 Mar 2016
In reply to hms:

It has substantial bouldering, top-roping and leading and is potentially very good, but suffers from resetting inertia. When i was last there in October 2015, routes documented as set in November 2014 were still up. So expect a fair amount of grease and chalk residue brushing to restore a route to its intended grade. The venue is not charismatic, being in a commercial retail park, but once inside is fine.
 springfall2008 31 Mar 2016
In reply to hms:

I've been a few times, it can be quite cold due in the winter. There's a nice feature wall and a good selection of auto-belays. The bouldering is fairly small.
Hertz32 04 Apr 2016
In reply to hms:

There is better climbing at "The Climb" in Amersham, run by Better Gym. It's small, but the bouldering is pretty decent and some of the setting is brilliant. You should be able to take the train to the arch north from HH too.
 JJL 04 Apr 2016
In reply to hms:

It's poorly lit and can be cold/damp.

The leading walls are quite tall, so if you've chopped downa rope for wall use you need to check length.
Usual ply sheets and bolt-ons.

Haven't been in a while but the setting was "ok".

Who on earth goes on holiday to Hemel?!
KevinD 04 Apr 2016
In reply to JJL:

> Who on earth goes on holiday to Hemel?!

Anyone who wants to see the Phoenix gateway.
They did say on holiday in the area though so out berko way isnt to bad.
 JJL 05 Apr 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Berko is lovely - used to live there.

Hemel for a holiday just for the Phoenix is a helluva commitment to sculpture!
OP hms 05 Apr 2016
In reply to KevinD:

back home now. We were staying at Ivinghoe, so rural with lots of nice if gentle walking.

After the comments on The XC, we went back to Big Rock at MK for a second session rather than head in the HH direction.
 ianstevens 05 Apr 2016
In reply to hms:

Good choice - I used to live in Hemel and we'd drive to MK instead. Route setting is poor and irregular; all the instructors are indoor-bred so have no idea what it's like to climb a rock and this is detrimental to the routes IMO. Mainly aimed at kids and group session that rake in money rather than serious climbers. This was about 3 years ago however so it might have changed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...