UKC

taco mat or folding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jimbo12c 24 Mar 2016
so I've borrowed a few mats over the years, and now i'm getting into my bouldering a lot more which means I need to buy a mat still not sure whether to get a taco style or folding mat? Opinions?
 Dale Berry 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Jimbo12c:

Folding mat will last much longer. I have the DMM Highball and its great. Never had any concerns about landing in the fold either.
 Jon Stewart 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Jimbo12c:

Taco. No fold = less ankle risk, plus arguably better storage. I like the Moon pads that fold with the damp and mucky ground side inwards (where your jacket and shoes go...).
 1poundSOCKS 24 Mar 2016
In reply to D Berry:

> Folding mat will last much longer.

You only fold a taco to take it to the crag, I guess if you store it folded you might find this.
 Brian Taylor 24 Mar 2016
In reply to D Berry:
I've found the same with every DMM Highball I've had, never had an issue with landing on the fold. I got an Ocun Paddy dominator, which at first was just simply better than the highballs. Softer landing, lighter to carry, L zip for different orientation. However, landing on the zip on the dominator has caused the zip to tear away slightly where it's connected to the rest of the pad. Makes me not like landing near the fold any more.

Additionally, after quite a bit of use and abuse the top layer of foam has broke in two (though this may be due to shoving things inside the pad to carry them, but I do the same with the highballs and their foam is fine), doesn't seem to make much difference to landing though.
Post edited at 16:11
ceri 24 Mar 2016
In reply to D Berry:

> Folding mat will last much longer.
We have a taco style metolius mat. It is well over 10 yrs old and served as a bed for some time when we had no other. It is stored folded. It still works OK and unrolls fine.
 Pawthos 24 Mar 2016
In reply to Jimbo12c:

I have a snap bun (taco). It's fab. I have had folding mats - and hated them (twisted ankles).
 obi-wan nick b 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Jimbo12c: I've got the Metolius Boss Hogg; it has an angled fold so never had a problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...