UKC

Traverse of gods. Swanage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elia 24 Mar 2016
Hi every one,
How are you?

I'm planning to go to Portland next weekend and I was reading about the history of Climbing in Dorset.
I really love to do Multi pitch and traverse so I was thinking about traverse of gods, definitly a route full of history.
Do you know if is still good to go? Do you have some information about it? have you done it not to long ago?

Thanks in advance.

Elia
 David Coley 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Elia:

Well you could do Traverse of the Gods, but for way much more fun do this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69926
In reply to Elia:

Seriously. There's no reason you can't do it in the sense of it having been banned or fallen down or the like.

However, if you have to ask I do question how good an idea it would be. Still, don't mind me; you carry on.

jcm
 Climber_Bill 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Elia:
Traverse of the Gods is at Swanage, between Tilly Whim Caves and Subluminal, not on Portland. It is very long, about 15 pitches, and involves aid style techniques not used on most trad or sport routes. The full fat version also involves swimming across Black Zawn, certainly not to be recommended at this time of year.

Wait until Summer, when the water is warmer, and do some of the other similar style routes first such as 'Benny' at the Promenade for aid climbing and 'The Adventures of Portland Bill' for traverse experience at Swanage.

The photo here http://ianparnellphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2008_06_01_archive.html might also give you an idea of what you may expect on the route.....

TJB.
Post edited at 06:30
 JIMBO 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Elia:

From what I remember the early sections aren't worth roping up for and largely wonder along wide ledges. It's low to the sea early on so calm seas essential. The tricky bits can be freed and didn't bother with the tension descents and tyrolean. Gave up after about 20 pitches because it rained, August thunderstorm. Escaped via a diff only to find no stakes on the top! Had to get inventive with a dry stone wall many metres back. Lucky we were on half ropes.
Great fun, good luck
 scott titt 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Elia:

First half is bird banned until start of August
 Mick Ward 25 Mar 2016
In reply to Elia:

And don't fall in the sea until August!

Mick
 Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 26 Mar 2016
In reply to Elia:

Scott has beaten me to it. Yes it is a nice roped traverse no to high above the sea. But the seasonal bird ban is in place till August. Please check the latest guide book for full seasonal bird restrictions at swanage and the BMC RAD for portland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...