UKC

Climbers For Christ: Bishop Meet (28th Nov)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 14 Nov 2003
Just to keep y'all up to date:

After Thanksgiving (from the 28th until 30th November) Bishop will be host to two hundred climbers who are members of Solid Rock - Climbers For Christ. They will be climbing at the Happy Boulders, in the Buttermilks and down in the Owens River Gorge and will be inviting climbers who they cross paths with to a free dinner and climbing presentation.

Solid Rock - Climbers For Christ's purpose is to empower climbers so that they reach for Christ. Our desire is to show God's love to the 400,000 climbers in the USA and Canada.

Solid Rock - Climbers For Christ will be partnering with The Source on West Line Street (next to Mountain High Video) who are a non-traditional church whose focus is to reach the recreational community in the Bishop area.

After a free dinner, Calvin Landrus, the National Director of Solid Rock Climbers For Christ, will be presenting his pictures of an ascent up The Nose route on El Capitan and sharing his life story. All are welcome and you can get more information from The Source (call 872-4529 or http://www.thesourceis.org ) and Solid Rock Climbers For Christ (http://www.srcfc.org ).

All our welcome.

Peace,

Mick
Paul Saunders 14 Nov 2003
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

You should go... Regardless of your views.

You either get salvation OR an opportunity to climb and indulge in people watching. A quality day out.

We could do one at Stanage, but there's not room for another 200 climbers on the rock...
 tobyfk 14 Nov 2003

> Solid Rock - Climbers For Christ's purpose is to empower climbers so that they reach for Christ.

I like the emphasis on Solid rock. I take we won't be seeing them on the Culm coast (.... Blackchurch?) anytime soon?
WillbackinUK 14 Nov 2003
In reply to tobyfk:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA)

>
> I like the emphasis on Solid rock. I take we won't be seeing them on the Culm coast (.... Blackchurch?) anytime soon?

Which is a shame, because I find there's nothing like being 30m up some tottering pile of choss certainly brings one closer to the Lord. I'm an atheist, but even I pray under those circumstances.

tobyfk 14 Nov 2003
In reply to WillbackinUK:

Aha. I think you're on to something there. Since, as you say, most Loose Rock Climbers are at least temporary believers, these guys are trying to differentiate themselves: "Hey, we believe even when we're safe"
 Brian H 14 Nov 2003
Thankfully none of my climbing friends are religious and I have to say that I am immediately suspicious of people who are. Religion seems to me to be patently nonsense - particularly the heaven and hell versions - and it's interesting to note the modification of beliefs as time goes by. Just emphasises it's a load of crap.

Some of the most objectionable people I've met are conspicuously religious and a certain sort of arrogance seems to go hand in hand with it. I just wish we could get rid of it completely and encourage people to adhere to a reasonable moral code.
Chris@Rockfax.com 15 Nov 2003
So does this mean they'll be doing Evilution, Secrets of the Beehive and Los Locos? I mean, their God will protect them, no?
oojojij 15 Nov 2003
In reply to tobyfk:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA)
>
>
> [...]
>
> I like the emphasis on Solid rock. I take we won't be seeing them on the Culm coast (.... Blackchurch?) anytime soon?

I have to say that although I find all this Christian bashing pretty distasteful I would smile at the sight of a Christian climbing club queing to go up The Verger, Antichrist and The Archtempter. It would be even funnier if it coincided with a group of Muslims doing The Heathen, Prayermat and Savage God.
Vertically_Challenged 17 Nov 2003
In reply to Brian H: Please tell me this is a wind up??????
If not I will be initiating volunteers into the Yorkshire branch of Climbers For Satan.
Alison Bond 17 Nov 2003
In reply to oojojij:

There's a group called Christian Climbers, based in Belgium who exist precisely to counteract this trend, they put up routes in climbing venues all over the world, and name them according to their Christian beliefs

Amazing Grace at Birchen (E2 i think) is one of theirs.
 Brian H 17 Nov 2003
In reply to Vertically_Challenged:
> (In reply to Brian H) Please tell me this is a wind up??????
> If not I will be initiating volunteers into the Yorkshire branch of Climbers For Satan.

No it's not a wind up - I just don't understand people who believe in an almighty, benevolent God etc. Perhaps I'm just too cynical but it seems naive and ridiculously self important to think that if a creator exists it gives a toss about what we do. And it seems odd to pray to something that gets miffed (according to some traditional beliefs) with those who eg don't worship it on a Sunday and sentences them to eternal damnation. And if beliefs are serially modified/tempered over time - as they are in Christian faiths - surely it shows that they are inherently dodgy?
OP Michael Ryan 17 Nov 2003

I'm open minded - satanist or christian, I don't mind. I even don't mind people trying to convert me (from what exactly). I can always say that's enough, bid farewell and walk away.

I find a lot of intolerant replies on these "religous threads" from people claiming that certain religions aren't tolerant of others (which is true)...but it is a bit like kettle and pot calling each other black.

Mick
Vertically_Challenged 18 Nov 2003
In reply to Brian H: Ooops sorry Brian - my "please tell me this was a wind up" was intended for Mick! I agree with you on religion like, todally. My personal theory is that you should blaspheme all religions loudly whilst belaying beleivers, thereby winding up any deity(s) that may exist, as if they strike you with a fiery bolt for your impiety they will inevitably send their faithful follower to his/her doom.

Still, I do like the idea of Climbers For Satan. I think the inaugural climb would have to be on limestone, as this would allow Sodom, Gommorah and Depravation to be climbed.
 Petzl 18 Nov 2003

Don't forget Debauchery, too!

As far as I can tell, whatever religion you believe in, you are automatically sent to hell by all the other ones, so you might as well save yourself all the worshipping time and go climbing instead!

See you all in hell!
 Niall 18 Nov 2003
>I do like the idea of Climbers For Satan.

this group already exists, they're called 'Boulderers'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...