UKC

Old photographs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AndyB123 26 Mar 2016
I have a collection of my late fathers climbing photographs. They were taken over several trips to the Alps, mainly Chamonix, over a period from approx 1949 - 1955. There are also shots from the Lakes, N. Wales, and Froggat (including one of Joe Browns Elim, with JB poking his head over the top and laughing at my Dad struggling).

The photos are in a binder with comments hand written next to each photo.

I am a bit of a loss of what to do with them, because though I have a personal attachment to them, I have no space to keep them.

One idea was to find out if The Climbers Club would be interested in them (my father was a member).

Are there any archives out there that would take them off my hands.

Binning them is not an option

Any ideas?

Jim C 26 Mar 2016
In reply to AndyB123:

Scan them and put them on Flickr for the world to enjoy.

You can make them viewable but protect the copyright, prevent download etc.
 Nordie_matt 26 Mar 2016
In reply to AndyB123:

How about approaching the Mountain Heritage Trust?

http://www.mountain-heritage.org
 Steve Clegg 26 Mar 2016
In reply to AndyB123:

Hi Andy
These appear to be well worth preserving.
You could email the Climbers' Club archivist: cc-archive@climbers-club.co.uk
Also, I have it in my mind that Rab Carrington is leading a photo initiative?

Steve
Jim C 26 Mar 2016
In reply to Jim C:
> Scan them and put them on Flickr for the world to enjoy.

> You can make them viewable but protect the copyright, prevent download etc.
Edit
If you do hand them to an archive they will ask you to legally sign them over to them.
Check out your options of the suggested archives and give them to the archive that best matches your preferences on preservation, access copyright etc.

Either way , I would get them scanned ( as high quality as you can) before handing them over.
These are for your family to keep( no space needed)

I have handed 16mm film over to an archive that has never seen the light of day, as they did not have the resources to both preserve and transfer and share. If I had been more informed, I would have shopped around before signing the rights away.
Post edited at 10:39
 JanBella 26 Mar 2016
In reply to AndyB123:

Scan it and create a website with all written notes included? Also include your fathers biography, stories and all you could share. It would be great to see how people climbed and approached climbing/mountaineering 60+ years ago.
 Adam Long 26 Mar 2016
In reply to Steve Clegg:

Yes, Rab is leading a the creation of a national photo archive with the BMC. It is early days but these sound like just the sort of material they are after.

As far as I'm aware the archive will only be accepting scans, at least initially. So the first step might be to get them scanned, as Jim suggested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...