UKC

Camper advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minimike 26 Mar 2016
We're quite tempted by the idea of a camper (4 berth, VW or similar conversion, not a motor home), looking at used prices, it seems lots have really high mileage (150k+). Could I get a youngish second hand panel van and have it converted for similar cost? It would need a pop top for the kids and a reasonable conversion (basic but professional). I'd also want an awning/tent extension option I think. Any opinions/experiences on either buying older high mileage campers or on getting s conversion done? Also, any recommendations for places to get the work done if we go that way?

Cheers, mike
In reply to minimike: Depends where you live but the only place worth getting work like that done is Vamoose Campers in Barnsley.

Every other company will take 5 days to do your roof, they'll do it in one. They design their own stuff and are professionals through and through. Their prices are also better than anyone else's.

http://www.vamoosecamperconversions.co.uk/

gethin_allen 26 Mar 2016
In reply to minimike:

Most of the panel van conversions were probably delivery vans in a previous life and were converted after already having done 120 k.
Vans are somewhat designed to take the punishment so it's not such a critical factor as it would be if it were your average family hatchback and also, a lot of the miles done by long distance delivery vans will be motorway miles.
 gribble 26 Mar 2016
In reply to minimike:

Depends if you want to limit yourself to VWs. There are plenty of converted vans on the market that do the same job (and often much better) at a significantly cheaper price. Those VW badges seem to be very expensive things.
OP minimike 26 Mar 2016
In reply to gribble:

> Depends if you want to limit yourself to VWs. There are plenty of converted vans on the market that do the same job (and often much better) at a significantly cheaper price. Those VW badges seem to be very expensive things.

Not necessarily.. What would you recommend looking at?
 1poundSOCKS 26 Mar 2016
In reply to minimike:

> Not necessarily.. What would you recommend looking at?

I just bought a SWB Transit to convert, they seem to be better value for money. I'll pay somebody to fit the windows and vent, hopefully I can handle the rest myself. However it's just for me, so I won't be getting a fancy lifting roof, although I would love one, they're just really expensive.
 Wsdconst 26 Mar 2016
In reply to minimike:

My friends just had a conversion done on a t5 he paid £12,000 for the van, then spent around the same on it.it has a pop up roof with beds in,cooking facilities and tv etc. this also includes full re spray and all the dash, door panels being customised too.you could cut costs by doing some of the work yourself though. I think it depends how far you want to take it. V.w's are the "in" day van at the moment so seem to be fetching premium money.
 gethin_allen 26 Mar 2016
In reply to minimike:

If it doesn't have to be vw t5 based I'd be happy with any of the Euro vans and I wouldn't go smaller than a swb high top. Especially if I was fitting a family in it.
OP minimike 27 Mar 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Great, thanks for all the replies. If a conversion/fit out comes in at about 12k, I reckon a transit or something might be a good option. I'll give vamoose a call I think as we're in leeds anyway. Do they do non-VW?

mark burley 27 Mar 2016
In reply to minimike:
I bought a t4 ex minibus and converted it myself then had a pop top roof fitted. I wouldn't sleep kids in the roof it's too cold and too small. We pitch a tent next to it on family trips and only sleep in it on duo outings. I prefer to sleep in a tent anyway.
I really think they are too small and limiting for the amount of money being spent on them. Maybe consider a long wheelbase van with high top for more practical living I haven't researched but the cost may be neutral as no roof conversion needed.
I am also in Leeds you can look at my van for inspiration if you like.
 gribble 27 Mar 2016
In reply to minimike:

Morning. There is quite of lot of knowledge out there, some sites very worth looking at are www.sbmcc.co.uk and www.wildcamping.co.uk Maybe have a look in the classifieds for an idea of what's available at what prices. The most important thing is to be as sure as possible what you want the van for, then find/build something that suits those needs. Long holiday van, weekend van, day van etc. If you're thinking of building your own, sbmcc is easily the best £15 spent for membership. Good luck!
 charley 27 Mar 2016
In reply to minimike:

The beauty of converting a van is that you do it on any budget and customise it to what you want to use it for. £12k is a lot to spend on a conversion although a decent re-spray can cost up to £3k.

My van was just a basic, empty panel van and I spent around £2.5k which includes putting 5 windows in and a stupidly expensive compressor fridge. It's done to a pretty high standard spec. The only thing I haven't gone for is a pop-top as have no use for one. They cost anything from £1800-£3k-ish fitted depending on the quality/brand.

OP minimike 27 Mar 2016
In reply to mark burley:
Hey, that's a kind offer. Thanks.. I'll take you up if you're serious? Where are you and when would be convenient? PM me
Post edited at 12:54
 mark burley 28 Mar 2016
In reply to minimike:
Hi I sent you a pm.
Post edited at 22:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...