UKC

Did you get much climbing done over Easter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 28 Mar 2016
I managed 3 multi pitch routes and quite a bit of walking with some spectacular crashing seas in Cornwall.

Oh, and the tent flooded. But not as bad as my mates tent where the poles snapped in the hurricane gusts in the night!

Not the best of weathers across the UK but it beats staying home and doing DIY
Jim C 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Nothing. plan months ago was to head up North for 3 days. Abandoned that on Thursday.m

Saturday washout. Sunday , Drove to Braemar with the rucksack etc. It was sunny in spells , but windy. Hills were clear ( at times)
Went for a full breakfast in the Bothy, wandered around, went up to the duck pond then went for a wander around Mar Lodge. ( dodged some showers and gusty weather. )
Drove up to the Lecht , closed , deserted no snow, went on , via Tomintoul and Laggan stopping to take photos ,(when the clag cleared) ran into some filthy weather in between. (Had a look at the car park at CM, 4 cars,( dog walkers is my guess)

Went down to Monessie Gorge to take some photos/ video, walked over the shoogly wooden bridge, ( water below was impressive) no paddlers though. headed slowly back to Loch Lomond .

No sign of large amounts of holidaymakers anywhere.
 Chris the Tall 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

No climbing, but a 74 mile road ride, a PB at ParkRun and a 10 mile run yesterday as part of my training for the Sheff Half.

Apparently there's snow on Stanage this morning
 Elia 28 Mar 2016
no much Climbing, we was planning to go to Portland yesterday night and stay until tomorrow but the weather is quite stormy.
Second time in my life that I try to go to climbing out in UK and second time that I need to stay at home because of the rain.
I miss Italy, there we don't have this problem...
OP Babika 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Elia:

Welcome to UK - and especially bank holidays in the UK.
There is an unwritten rule that the weather turns hideous the minute the schools break up
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Mar 2016
 JayK 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Say hey to Andy for me. I'm currently sat in north wales looking at a very wet and windy Great Orme.
 TobyA 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

No, pretty awful weather in all directions. Plus ended up having to take a child to A&E yesterday (who were marvelous. Much respect to the NHS: 111, out of hour GP on the phone and Sheff Children's hospital A&E - very impressive). I did go for a bike ride yesterday which was pretty "invigorating" in the wind, rain and rainbows. Missed a hail storm, but road through the area just after - amazing, hailstones the size of marbles! Glad I wasn't in it as I reckon that would have hurt.
 WaterMonkey 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:
7 routes at Bamford on Friday followed by the beer festival at The Old Hall in Hope
Post edited at 11:24
 Geras 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Stayed at home and did DIY! and fixed the garden Fence that blew done overnight.
In reply to Babika:

Gardening and the family round for dinner yesterday. Slow roast lamb and sticky toffee pudding. I do these things so you don't have to.

T.
In reply to Babika:

Friday was lovely - Trevor quarry in warm (if breezy) sunshine.

Saturday and Sunday out in Snowdonia on an SPA training course were not so lovely (though still thoroughly enjoyable!)
OP Babika 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Haha - love it.

Indeed I outsourced Easter Lunch for the kids to my brother and Mum.
 Paul Baxter 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Much more than expected given the forecast....

3 multipitch routes out of the wind at Bosigran on Friday
Wet-n-wild walk round the Cornish headlands on Saturday
Shower dodging on Sunday, finally getting three routes in on (mostly) dry rock at Trewavas on Sunday - additional pain of topping out to the smell of soup being cooked up by the (Surrey?) students at the top.
Several routes and associated fun at the Sea Walls in Avon Gorge on the way back on Monday.
 AdrianC 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Well I don't like to skite but...

Friday, climbed The Vent. It was clear & sunny, ptarmigan were out and there was good ice in the gully but we only saw one other party in the coire. Saturday wasn't too great so went for a run up Meall a Buachaille. Sunday we did Hidden Chimney with the direct start on Mess of Pottage which was also in good condition then climbed Aladdins Mirror Direct yesterday in a mix of snow showers & sunshine. The ice was solid and taking good screws. Where were you all?
 DannyC 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Nice one on getting routes in. It seems like a quiet Easter weekend on the whole. We'd a good time by heading up to Caithness.

Friday - Sarclet in the sun
Sat - Latheronwheel, in a bit of drizzle, but it's steep enough for the climbing to be dry
Sun - Big waves stopped play at Mid Clyth so drove down to Moy, which was gorgeous and sunny
Mon - Weem, which was weepy in places but many routes were fine

D.

mhughes 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:
The roaches on Friday were in perfect sunshine and almost deserted! Rest of the weekend was devoted to putting most of my garden in a skip!
Mike

d_b 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Managed 3 routes in Pembrokeshire on Friday, a bit of walking in the rain on Saturday and a fine roast dinner yesterday. I didn't climb anything particularly hard but as it was my first time out in about 4 months I was satisfied.
In reply to Babika:

Not as much as I would have liked, weather wasn't great and all of a sudden my climbing partners seem to think that bank holidays weekends can be used for other purposes other than climbing...weird.

Managed to flash my first HVS at Earl Crag on Friday though, so not a total right off at least!
 nniff 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Wall to wall sunshine at Wintour's Leap on Friday. Domestic stuff for the remainder of the weekend. the planned long weekend was abandoned - good call - I'll need those points later
 Pkrynicki1984 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Babika:

Bouldering at Wolf edge Staffordshire friday night. lovely weather.

Sunday one route at Stanage Pop... never seen it so quiet! but there was a very good reason for that

GrahamD 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Paul Baxter:

Strangely quiet at Avon I thought, given how crap the weather was on Monday further West and how good it was there.
In reply to Babika:

I got married Saturday and we had couple of days on the Lleyn walking sections of coastal path, drinking champers etc.
 BusyLizzie 30 Mar 2016
In reply to nniff:

Likewise Wintours on Friday; I think there was some confidence-building magic in the sunshine!
OP Babika 30 Mar 2016
In reply to Allanfairfechan:

> I got married Saturday and we had couple of days on the Lleyn walking sections of coastal path, drinking champers etc.

Congratulations!

I'm a selfish git who gets in a hump when I get a wedding invite for a bank holiday weekend - unless its in a climbing area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...