UKC

Shaver Socket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
m0unt41n 28 Mar 2016
We have a rechargeable toothbrush and an electric Water pic flosser thingymajig so really need 2 sockets of 230v
All I can find with 2 sockets are dual voltage ones, 115v & 230v.

Does anyone know where you can buy a socket (usual size rectangular and about size of normal double socket but vertical) which has 2 of 230v sockets for 2 pin round plugs?

The alternative is to get a rechargeable toothbrush from the States but I was hoping for something simpler.

Thanks

Lusk 28 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

If you can't, you could fit two singles on a twin backbox.
http://www.bestelectricalsupplies.co.uk/ekmps/shops/bestelectrical/images/m...
 1step2far 28 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

Not sure if this is any help but we don't have a shaver socket in the house so I use this: http://www.nationallighting.co.uk/Electrical/Cable-&-Cable-Management/C...
m0unt41n 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Thanks, will need to check sizes because I thought of this before and seemed to remember wrong size. Issue is that it is set into tiles which I would not want to risk enlarging any hole, not with my DIY skills anyhow.
m0unt41n 28 Mar 2016
In reply to 1step2far:

The problem is its above the sink in the bathroom so no 3 pin socket.
Lusk 28 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

Aye, twin box is longer, you need to extend the opening, on your own there I'm afraid!
 Fraser 28 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

More importantly, what the heck is that thing you mentioned? ??

> ... an electric Water pic flosser thingymajig

thedatastream 28 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

Check the power supply of you toothbrush. Many modern appliances have a wide range PSU that will take 110-240vac
m0unt41n 28 Mar 2016
In reply to thedatastream:

No its just 220v - 240v
m0unt41n 28 Mar 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> More importantly, what the heck is that thing you mentioned? ??

Sorry, if I had posted this in The Pub then I could explain but since it's in Off Belay the Mods would go ballistic if I explained.
 Jim Fraser 29 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

If a twin 230V two pin existed then for it to have the same zoning as the dual voltage ones it would need one transformer for each socket and be blindingly expensive. Add to that the fact that items designed for that zone are not intended to be in constant use but only for a few minutes of use. I understand what you are trying to do but in the world of IET/BSI, charging gadgets is not what bathroms are for.
Lusk 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Really?! Have you read 701?
m0unt41n 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Thanks that explains things
Hadn't thought of that or that dual voltage presumably is just another tap of the transformer
 Jim Fraser 29 Mar 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Really?! Have you read 701?

If we assume the OP is a normal mortal shuffling sideways into a micro-bathroom, and not a plumbing contractor or Fellow of the IET who can afford to live in houses with bathrooms five or six metres across, then I think my position reflects the basic reality of why 701 (..702, 703) runs to several pages and why thousands of pages are written about this subject in books and on websites.

If that assumption is wrong then fine. He can stick a couple of two-pin adaptors into a spare 13A twin socket next to his 75-inch LED TV screen and washing machine and tumble dryer on the far wall of the bathroom seven metres from the bath.
 obi-wan nick b 29 Mar 2016
In reply to m0unt41n: if these are both rechargeable items then surely you don't need or even want to have them on all the time - it's certainly not a good idea it leave batteries charging when your not there/overnight. So one socket should be plenty.

m0unt41n 29 Mar 2016
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

My wife also uses the bathroom so introducing a logical solution is just going to confuse things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...