UKC

Dry tooling for walkers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Survive1 29 Mar 2016

Anyone tried this? I climbed up the steep banks of Pen-y-Ghent with axe and crampons, daggering my way up, the axe giving solid purchase in the soil. An exhilarating and safe alternative to the tourist routes.
Post edited at 10:26
 toad 29 Mar 2016
Survive1 29 Mar 2016
In reply to toad:

Useful.
 pass and peak 30 Mar 2016
In reply to dangle:

Before you are hung drawn and quartered can I ask if the turf/ground was frozen solid? If not, as I suspect, it will give some of us an excuse to practice the Hang mans knot! see here: http://www.mcofs.org.uk/winter-climbing-guide-ethics.asp Its for Scotland but same thing applies to anywhere. If your talking dry tooling! There's a reason its practiced at only certain recognized locations!
 Dark-Cloud 30 Mar 2016
In reply to dangle:

As a troll I mark it 1/10, must try harder next time.....
 Babika 30 Mar 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yes, its a bit too obvious, sorry.
Survive1 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
Nothing trolly about it. A troll posts to upset people.
Post edited at 20:01
 SenzuBean 02 Apr 2016
In reply to dangle:
> Anyone tried this? I climbed up the steep banks of Pen-y-Ghent with axe and crampons, daggering my way up, the axe giving solid purchase in the soil. An exhilarating and safe alternative to the tourist routes.

Yes I tried it, but then I found the better option was to bring a shovel and chop myself a series of large, deep steps into the mud. These I made all the way to the summit thus giving a laborious but delightfully simple ascent that gave me no bother from wearing flip-flops and with a tesco bag of sweeties.
When I returned later in the week to give myself a second jolly, my original staircase had become a river of slurry. I decided it better to excavate a new one than dirty my flip-flops resurrecting the old one. By my estimations 39 more people can use this delightful method to ascend the hillside before it will be in a stare of disrepair - but no worry - my jolly was splendid and I highly recommend it to the remaining 39 people.
Post edited at 22:02
 Dark-Cloud 03 Apr 2016
In reply to dangle:
> Nothing trolly about it. A troll posts to upset people.

Sound familiar ?

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own
Post edited at 08:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...